Why don't more people build external WC units?

schoenda

Gawd
So it seems to me that the vast majority of people build radiators into their cases that either pull ambient air, warm it up and then inject that nice warm air into their case, alternatively they draw warm air out of their case to run over the radiator...ok, so I am not a physicist or engineer but neither of these scenarios seem very efficient.

Now I will be the first to admit I do not know as much as most of you guys about water cooling...so the thought is...Why don't more people put their radiators in external project boxes a few feet away from the system?

B/c most ppl like having "a computer," not having "a computer an an external box connected by water hoses that increase the risk of leaking due to movement of one or the other boxes"?

Also, it looks way more tidy.

I agree with the op, if you are watercooling for higher performance, an external radiator is desirable.
My first water cooler was built using a car heatercore into a cardboard box with a single 120mm fan.
The cardboard box created enough distance between the fan and the heatercore to remove turbulence which made it extremely efficient.
2 pipes lead out from the back of the PC case but as it didnt need to be portable, it didnt matter at all.
You can mount the radiator to the back of the PC case without much issue if portability matters but as always, water is heavy, so watercooling isnt the best idea for machines that need to be moved regularly, anyway.

If I was going to WC my system, I'd definitely want to go with external. Big issue with me is toddler and/or cat + neat colored water + external tank would be a recipe for extreme disaster.

B/c most ppl like having "a computer," not having "a computer an an external box connected by water hoses that increase the risk of leaking due to movement of one or the other boxes"?

Pretty much.

In a fully water cooled setup it doesn't really matter if the air in the case is warmer as long as the radiator gets cool air.

I wanted to, but it is a lot easier to have the whole system in one box. Where the heck would I put the external box anyway? Plus I work the shit out of my loop 24/7 and it maintains temps in the low 30's and I am happy with that.

I certainly did not mean to imply that to build the radiators into a case was wrong...just possibly less efficient...I am curious and may make my next build to include an external project box...has anybody ever checked temp data on wc components with external vs internal wc...or case temp? Unless you are watercooling all components on the Mobo and the memory I would think case temp does count..maybe not for much...does anybody think an external radiator would have a sig impact on mobo or mem oc or component life compared to an internal radiator?

I agree with the op, if you are watercooling for higher performance, an external radiator is desirable.
My first water cooler was built using a car heatercore into a cardboard box with a single 120mm fan.
The cardboard box created enough distance between the fan and the heatercore to remove turbulence which made it extremely efficient.
2 pipes lead out from the back of the PC case but as it didnt need to be portable, it didnt matter at all.
You can mount the radiator to the back of the PC case without much issue if portability matters but as always, water is heavy, so watercooling isnt the best idea for machines that need to be moved regularly, anyway.

I had a similar setup on my first build except I had two heatercores. Water temps were always very near ambient.

My next project will have rads under the house so I will have below ambient. Some people do think out side the box :) (sorry had to say it).

looks, portability and stability...

external boxes increase chance of leakage

An external box is a PITA, i don't think they make premade boxes yet and having to build one from scratch is not very appealing to the general public.

From first have knowledge and experience, I'll always go with an external setup.

Not because of the benefits to prevent warmer temps in the computer case, but rather the investment of the hardware and the PITA cramming it in there.

An external WCing setup makes life easier to manage and with quick disconnects makes things a snap to work with.

The other thing is LEAKS. Why oh why after spending big bucks on hardware would someone cramp all of this WCing stuff into a computer that is very delicate to LEAKS. It's very smart to have an external unit with only the least lines in and out.

From first have knowledge and experience, I'll always go with an external setup.

Not because of the benefits to prevent warmer temps in the computer case, but rather the investment of the hardware and the PITA cramming it in there.

An external WCing setup makes life easier to manage and with quick disconnects makes things a snap to work with.

The other thing is LEAKS. Why oh why after spending big bucks on hardware would someone cramp all of this WCing stuff into a computer that is very delicate to LEAKS. It's very smart to have an external unit with only the least lines in and out.

++1

Mines on the outside...

4031278767_4620b4b01f.jpg
4031278501_1075e2e99d.jpg

4013390379_bb6f1dea81_m.jpg
4014156044_620929e90c_m.jpg

4031280331_fc495238b1.jpg

It looks cooler on the outside, and as mentioned before there's less water in your case so less chance of leaks ;)

Last edited:
I will say it. Unless you carry the damn thing around with you or have toddler issues (been there - mine are grown - but somehow they still manage to destroy more computer stuff than they ever did when they where children) and take note of the leading condition;

From a pure system thermal performance view, it is wrong to build rads into the machines boxes.

Flame on !!!

Mines on the outside...
It looks cooler on the outside, and as mentioned before there's less water in your case so less chance of leaks ;)

Sorry Sir, but that looks really awfull imo :) , but looks will always be a a matter of discussion ?

If you did buy a cabinet like LianLi PC-V2000 or Tagan Black Pearl WCR you could easily accomodate both those radiators in the lower compartment.
I have a Monsta radiator (w. 6x140 mm fans), a 1x120 Magicool radiator, Koolance 1700W Liquid Cooled PSU and two pumps in that compartment.
I have also made place for a external radiator at the back of the cabinet - a extra 120mm for the psu - but haven't needed it yet - and I hope I don't need it either.
My GFX radiator is placed in the upper compartment - fastened on the inside of the cabinetdoor.

I have had watercooled setups so long time back that I had to make my own blocks - there weren't really any that did produce waterblocks at that time - and have had a serious leakage once because of cracked plexi.
But then again I always test (and flush) my setup with a Oceanrunner Or6500 (6500 liters/hour - 3.8 meter head ) before I start using it.

OR6500 with a Eheim 1048 alongside :

34djsl4.jpg

Last edited:
I will say it. Unless you carry the damn thing around with you or have toddler issues (been there - mine are grown - but somehow they still manage to destroy more computer stuff than they ever did when they where children) and take note of the leading condition;

From a pure system thermal performance view, it is wrong to build rads into the machines boxes.

Flame on !!!

My SATA cables, DVD drive, and 2 SSD's don't give a rats ass if the case is 5, 10, or even 15 degrees hotter because I decided to have internal radiators instead of some ugly looking external solution. If you're going to watercool might as well cool all the components that matter then you don't need to worry about it.

Flame on !!!

;)

Sorry Sir, but that looks really awfull imo :) , but looks will always be a a matter of discussion ?

If you did buy a cabinet like LianLi PC-V2000 or Tagan Black Pearl WCR

Lol...the Lian Li PC-V2000? Sorry but that looks really awful imo :)

caseside.jpg

Lets see some pics of your rig. Since you seem to think mine looks so bad :(

Lol...the Lian Li PC-V2000? Sorry but that looks really awful imo :)

Lets see some pics of your rig. Since you seem to think mine looks so bad :(

Well thats my taste - if you like those Antec "thingys" :p - fine :)

Tagan A+ Black Pearl PC Case ; http://www.thinkcomputers.org/index.++++++++reviews&id=622 = same as I got - but mine is heavily modified, will post pictures when I am finished with the last mods ( ~ 6 - 10 days since I am awaiting some parts too).

2ewpa3d.jpg

One of the best cabinets for watercooling setups imo :)

Hey King, while sitting here watching the gernades getting tossed back and forth I though of something.

Perforated metal (mesh sheetmetal like your front grill bay covers). If you found some with holes and spacing that matched your front grills, it would be pretty easy to cut a length the correct width (distance between the side case cover and the top of the rad) and with 4 nice rounded bends, bend material over a 1/2 inch pipe maybe, some black spray paint, etc. It would not be difficult to make a "skirt" that fit between the side panel and rads and attached with the bolts holding your rads to the brackets and I see extra holes in the brackets nearer the case that could also be used. Would be finickly to get the corner bends just right (have to take the bend radius into account with measurements - not sure how to do that) but a good worktable some clamps, pipe, lenght of 2x4 and rubber mallet , measure 3 times bend once kinda thing and I bet it would lool pretty good. To "close" the skirting "box" just overlap a bit of the material in the back where it is not easily seen and line up a few holes (or drill as needed) and put small screws with nuts. (maybe go Lowes specialty hardware drawers and replace all screws/blots with visible heads with the xexy black hex head cap screws )

http://www.smallparts.com/s/1641424...aterial_browse&field_material_browse=16414561

well too small from that site but you get the idea. Check local yellow pages for sheetmetal and metal suppliers.

Just a thought dont reply here, I am off topic <------- bad

Last edited:

^ this... My case is already a monster to begin with. I dont want to have a little child monster sitting on or near it with external wiring/tubes that can get bumped, bit, scratched or whatever'd by person,cat, or object.

It's a little tricky to build an external configuration IMO.

Here is my Corsair H50 mounted externally with Antec 900.

H50chipsetVGAairflowarea.JPG

I have my rad mounted externally on the top of my case...however it is out of necessity as my case is crap for watercooling.

It's a little tricky to build an external configuration IMO.

I am not sure what you meant by that statement - but I can assure you it is a LOT more tricky to build a system with internal configuration.
A lot of people just don't have the skills (or are just to freakin' lazy) to build internal since it often involves modifying the cabinet by jigsaw, holesaw aso.
A internal setup also crave a lot more planning regarding airflow, placement of the components +++

I see people here running their radiatorfans without dustfilters... thats another n00b'ish sin :D

I see people here running their radiatorfans without dustfilters... thats another n00b'ish sin :D

I was getting abnormal temps and discovered that Dog hair is apparently bad for airflow. :p

Seriously though on my setup its just as easy to hit the rad/fans with an aircan and a vacume as it is to hit dust filters.

I have mine on the inside simply because everyone once in a while I need to move my computer or travel with it. Having it inside keeps this easy.

In addition, i water-cooled for a couple reasons: 1. Performance 2. sound levels. Because I wanted a quite computer i was willing to sacrifice noise levels. I have a pretty quiet computer and my cpu/gpu stay pretty cool compared to air cooling.

Well - filters (and especially professional filters like Viledon) are very effective removing dust from the air in the room. On the other side fans without filters are very effective spreading the dust - which isn't really that healty.

So you are not only avoiding your radiator beeing clogged with dust by using filters, you also get a healthgain - for free :)

Why Internal?

Aesthetics and ease of use?

That and not looking like a total geek to anyone else that happens to stumble by your parents' basement?

I went with an Exos 2.5 myself. Sure I can get the same cooling performance going with an internal setup but I wanted the convenience of being able to move from case to case and system to system. I upgrade and change cases often. I think upgrading is much easier this way. I've got some quick disconnects which allow me to move the Exos off the machine and work on it like any other machine.

While having everything in one box often looks impressive, I think the Exos 2.5 actually looks pretty neat sitting on top of the box. To each their own I guess.

Since I am not a fanboy ;

33wth77.jpg

My external coolingsetup for my torture rack :) - reservoir, eheim 1048 pump and two heatercores in a neat litte "package"
This setup cools extremely good with a screaming 256 cfm Ultra Extreme Delta fan on it :D (2x Pabst fans on it at the picture).

Maybe it looks more brutal than stylish - but at least it's not a "OEM" Koolance :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen a properly modded external cooling box. If anybody knows of any projects or has pics of some good external box mods post em up. My first watercooled box was one of those cheapo particleboard trunks. I scavanged an old case for a mobo tray and stuff and mounted it in there. It was so much easier than other ones I've built where I was cramming everything insiude the case. My only leak occured with one of the crammed ones. I can't fault the crfammed situation for the leak but I can say I lost a mobo and vid card when in a the trunk box it would have been ok becuase the leak would have been isolated to the floor of the trunk.

+1 for external units, plenty of ideas for mods flowing through my head.

Mine for sure looks awful :rolleyes:.

Well my awful "thingy" is only for testing/burn in purposes... otherwise it is stacked out of sight :D

Main, I don't believe you've said one nice thing to any one in this thread...

Well it is so much hopeless n00bish to see and read - it is really sad - and totally unnecessary too since there are millions of words written on how to watercool ; but to no use really. People still do major wrong things when watercooling.
For example ; I see that you have mounted the fan's wrong... + no filter for your radiatorfans. The radiators in paralell could also have given you lower temperatures... Maybe not a big deal if you don't want to take full advantage of your watercooled setup :confused:
I am not saying that I am THE expert... I have been watercooling for many years - and done a lot of "research" on the topic. Don't people do any research anymore ??? - do they just slap on some wc equipment and pray ?????????

Two, 256cfm fans must be pretty loud?

I wrote 1 Delta Ultra Extreme - yes it is L O U D - close to 70dbA :p

Have a nice evening :D

If i ever WC again, i will likely build an external box with quick connects. The neatness is nice, but the cramming wasnt really worth it for me.

Well - filters (and especially professional filters like Viledon) are very effective removing dust from the air in the room. On the other side fans without filters are very effective spreading the dust - which isn't really that healty.

So you are not only avoiding your radiator beeing clogged with dust by using filters, you also get a healthgain - for free :)

A much better solution for this.... run a vacuum cleaner through your house on ocasion. :) I somehow doubt a couple of undervolted 120mm fans are going to clear a noticable amount of dust from the air. On the other hand I don't doubt that those filters will hinder airflow across my radiator which is why I have the fans in the 1st place. Dust filters do have their place, however they are not a universal must.

Reactions: Hugin
like this
Back