Why doesn't Nvidia make games?

Why don't Bosch make cars? They make the parts afterall, why not make the cars?

Why don't Toshiba make spaceships? They make the parts afterall, why not make spaceships?

OP, what the heck does making hardware have to do with making a game? maybe Valve should start making gpus...

Toshiba makes Spaceships?

eek_big-1.gif

Nvidia should have monopoly on all aspects of PC gaming because as it stands today, PC gaming is plummeting fast. Time for someone to fill that vacuum to the fullest.

Because then, they'd be forced to play fair by industrial selection (no AA with ATI cards ring a bell?) or they'd be shunned by gamers worldwide.

The real question is, why don't YOU develop games? :rolleyes:

The only way Nvidia is ever going to have PhysX used in any meaningful way is likely if they make the game themselves.

Anyways, didn't they pay to make that Warwonger game or something?

I am surprised no one has gotten upset that the OP said "PC gaming is plummeting fast." yet.

OP, what the heck does making hardware have to do with making a game? maybe Valve should start making gpus...

It somewhat makes sense for Nvidia to fund or develop games to create demand for their hw. It's a lot easier for a hw company to start a game development division than for a software company to start making hw.

As for why they don't do it, probably too risky. Although it would be genious if they could create a blockbuster game like the next GTA and make it impossible to run on the competitor's 3d hw. :D

It somewhat makes sense for Nvidia to fund or develop games to create demand for their hw. It's a lot easier for a hw company to start a game development division than for a software company to start making hw.

As for why they don't do it, probably too risky. Although it would be genious if they could create a blockbuster game like the next GTA and make it impossible to run on the competitor's 3d hw. :D

PhysX? TWIMTBP ?

Nvidia assists development with their TWIMTBP program. They offer help to developers, but they have no interest in totally funding development. Its not generally something a hardware company does. Intel tried and well that entire studio is now dead before releasing a single game.

if they did debut a new game i think it should be a shooter.
there is an edit button so please use that instead of double posting back to back. you have done that in two threads in a row so it makes it look like you are just spamming to get your post count up. ;)

I actually laughed when I read the thread title.

And I must admit, I'm surprised no one has gone batshit insane over the "PC gaming is plummetting" comment.

Nvidia already "sponsors" games, with the TWIMTBP accompanying many PC games...it isn't that much of a stretch to speculate that Nvidia might get into game development or, maybe more realistically, get into game publishing and funding.

The gain from partially funding a graphics-intensive PC game should be more than returned in videocard sales. How many videocards do you think Crysis alone has sold in the last four years?

Nvidia already "sponsors" games, with the TWIMTBP accompanying many PC games...it isn't that much of a stretch to speculate that Nvidia might get into game development or, maybe more realistically, get into game publishing and funding.

The gain from partially funding a graphics-intensive PC game should be more than returned in videocard sales. How many videocards do you think Crysis alone has sold in the last four years?

Thats why Nvidia should seriously consider this and they should make Crysis-like games that will be released along with the launch of their new lineup of graphic cards. I'm certain the pondered on it at some point or are in talks to do it soon. I would like to compare last year's graphic card sales to say five years ago.

I actually laughed when I read the thread title.

And I must admit, I'm surprised no one has gone batshit insane over the "PC gaming is plummetting" comment.

Why would anyone go batshit? Nothing is controversial or offensive about that comment.

All the console companies make games to sell more hardware. Why shouldn't Nvidia and ATI make games that require new gaming cards. With so many games being console ports, they need to do something to sell high end cards.

Seriously ? They make Video Card chips(GPU's). They're not a game studio.

I am surprised no one has gotten upset that the OP said "PC gaming is plummeting fast." yet.

263 million online PC gamers. Oh yeah, it's plummeting fast... How many 360 consoles sold? Like 40 million?

I think that they should, it's not that bad of an idea. The tech demo's that they release are pretty neat. Far Cry started out as a tech demo... and now we have Crysole 2! Maybe they shouldn't make games.

I can't believe this ridiculous thread has hit two pages...and now I'm adding to the ridiculousness :rolleyes:

Very good point. I started Crysis out on 8600GT, then got a 9800GTX, and even when I got my current system with GTX 295, Crysis was still the most graphically demanding game.:p

I think its a very realistic possibility that nVidia could get into game publishing.

if Nvidia made games they would be worse than what we get now.....

disabled features unless you had their hardware
even crappier programming as they try to circumvent DX standards
after the game started and stopped so many times it would cease to function

I for one am thankful they don't make games because then we would have all of their manufacturing defects ported into their code base....

lawl :)

Sony made TVs, VCRs and Hi-Fi Stereos before getting into gaming. What's your point?

That Sony had a shload of money to be able to build and ride out a gaming division's losses for the first few quarters (years) because of those other ventures. And Sony didn't make money on the PS1 and didn't bank on their own SOE titles recouping their money. Their big return was on licensing 3rd party developers.

Apples and coconuts.

So unless nVidia is sitting atop a staduim filled with dinosaur sized crap mounds of cash- there's not much chance they could spin up and fund a gaming division while a development cycle was in progress.

Last edited:
I think what they should do is distribute demos with cards. Yes, I mean flyby demos, not game demos. After all, if when you buy a super high end card now days, you rarely get to see what the card is capable of.

The best you get as far as optimized for the hardware now is what you see on consoles.

Last edited:
Why would anyone go batshit? Nothing is controversial or offensive about that comment.

There are a ton of PC games who go all crazy when someone makes that statement. Maybe more of them are accepting reality now.

Nvidia does hardware design and low level software design with drivers. There is very little overlap with the game software industry as to what type of people they actually employ. There would be no advantage over just having an entirely separate studio as from startup funds.

That Sony had a shload of money to be able to build and ride out a gaming division's losses for the first few quarters (years) because of those other ventures. And Sony didn't make money on the PS1 and didn't bank on their own SOE titles recouping their money. Their big return was on licensing 3rd party developers.

Apples and coconuts.

So unless nVidia is sitting atop a staduim filled with dinosaur sized crap mounds of cash- there's not much chance they could spin up and fund a gaming division while a development cycle was in progress.

First off nvidia has alot of cash but they wouldn't use that for a new endeavor anyway. They would goto wall street more than likely to get investor money if they were going to under take something like this. Not that they would anyway. Odds are if they wanted too develop games they would have already.

Back