Why does Doom Eternal suck?

That's so weird.
I had a similar issue with The Division 2. No matter what I did it would crash to desktop within 45 min of starting. Sometimes it would happen 5 minutes in sometimes 44 minutes in but I have yet to be able to play that game for 46 min. It was the only game I had any real issues with on that PC during the 6 years it was my primary.

Happened to me with destiny 2 on my 7820X, ran fine on my Ryzen 1500x though.

What I found while playing the game b4 I got it refunded is that I was always out of fuel for the chainsaw and thus making me evade everything to try and find some ammo which got boring realy fast.

Chainsaw automatically refills one bar. Which means, you can always kill the grunts/zombies. It's a cooldown use item. You get extra fuel on map for increased usage or to kill larger enemies. I rarely ever used it for larger enemies.

Personally, the game doesn't fully "unlock" itself until you get the Super Shotgun and the grapple hook. Immediately max that sucker out. The mobility gains on the map are crucial. Not too mention the additional armor drops because of the fire damage it does.

Last edited:
Chainsaw automatically refills one bar. Which means, you can always kill the grunts/zombies. It's a cooldown use item. You get extra fuel on map for increased usage or to kill larger enemies. I rarely ever used it for larger enemies.

Personally, the game doesn't fully "unlock" itself until you get the Super Shotgun and the grapple hook. Immediately max that sucker out. The mobility gains on the map are crucial. Not too mention the additional armor drops because of the fire damage it does.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that if there were a few different items that functioned like the saw, but maybe some like the Quake gauntlet that are much faster to do what they do, I might like it more. The kill animation wouldn't be as long, and wouldn't pull me out of the action the same way. I like the hand-to-hand melee just fine, just like I did in D2016. It's just the whole process, animation, and wait that gets to me. Still, not a huge deal, just something that sprang to mind.

What I found while playing the game b4 I got it refunded is that I was always out of fuel for the chainsaw and thus making me evade everything to try and find some ammo which got boring realy fast.

I might still pick it up on a later date for very cheap to give it another go but I did buy the all in version for 89€ orso and that was not worth it to me given that this is imo not a real doom game.
Last 2 'id" games ( Rage 2 and Doom eternal) are not worthy of their legacy and the studio's games are for me no longer a blind must buy on release. (and yes I know it's avalanche that made rage 2 but it was under id supervision)
If you were always out of fuel for the chainsaw then you need to utilize your other weapons more. The 30-second cooldown for a pip when you're out is virtually non-existent if you're utilizing your entire arsenal, and that includes the very first arena when you only have the shotgun and no upgrades.

I'd watch Zero Master to get a better idea of the dance, as he executes it flawlessly.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that if there were a few different items that functioned like the saw, but maybe some like the Quake gauntlet that are much faster to do what they do, I might like it more.

Well, you have the freeze and flame thrower. Those become crucial at higher difficulties. So, in terms of having other items with cooldowns, there ya go. Seriously, I think the further you get in the game, the more the combat will "click." Early stages of the game just feel "less" because they're spoonfeeding you the combat slowly. I'm not kidding that once you get the Super Shotgun, the game opens up. Especially, if you get good at moving with the GHook. You'll get to light up some additional foes.

If you were always out of fuel for the chainsaw then you need to utilize your other weapons more. The 30-second cooldown for a pip when you're out is virtually non-existent if you're utilizing your entire arsenal, and that includes the very first arena when you only have the shotgun and no upgrades.

I'd watch Zero Master to get a better idea of the dance, as he executes it flawlessly.

LOL there is no way this old fart can play like that even at a lower difficulty. I think I'll fire up Serious Sam 2 or 3 which reminds me more of the original Doom.

LOL there is no way this old fart can play like that even at a lower difficulty. I think I'll fire up Serious Sam 2 or 3 which reminds me more of the original Doom.
It's a speedrun, but the point was to show how you exploit the game mechanics to your advantage. He has a more casual run on his channel that slows things down a lot.

After all of my stability issues I had given up. Saw that it was on sale on steam today for $29.99 and said "Why not, I would rather have it in my steam library anyways.". Installed it and it runs flawlessly. Can run it from the Bethesda launcher and it's fine as well. Not sure what the difference is between the two, but the steam launcher installs the visual C runtimes, wondering if that is newer/older or fixed some sort of corruption in that runtime.

Still runs good on 5700 XT, played a level. Not sure what the update was for other than BattleMode

Probably the most optimized game ever.

While I have a 2080 Ti, it's still quite amazing to get almost 300 fps with ultra settings.

Graphics are great too, it's not like they are bad either.

Reactions: noko
like this
Probably the most optimized game ever.

While I have a 2080 Ti, it's still quite amazing to get almost 300 fps with ultra settings.

Graphics are great too, it's not like they are bad either.
Yep, game comes alive with HDR. 300 fps lol, wow! I get around 120fps at 1440p, Ultra but no Motion blur or any chromatic garbage stuff if it has it, good enough for me. Started second play through, more fun then the first time then got side tracked and played Mafia II and completed it. Playing Resident Evil 7 now, may have to finish the second play through at some point.

I really loved RE7. Played it on PSVR when it first came out. Then immediately bought the Steam version and played through in 4K.

HDR is nice, I would like an HDR monitor if I can find one with all the right specs. I'm currently on 1080p ultrawide, so I can get good ray tracing performance.

Ideally I would love a 4K 21:9 screen, 1440p would be alright too, but I feel like I'd be giving up a lot of performance.

For Doom Eternal especially, I can actually see and feel the performance difference. My current monitor is 166 Hz, but with VSync off, the responsiveness is second to none.

Reactions: noko
like this
There was a big update yesterday, so it's possible something was fixed.

I installed that update before pulling it from steam and loading. I was hoping that the patch would fix it, but since it didn't that prompted me to buy it on steam.

This is what Steam loaded "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistribuitable - 14.24.28127" both x86 and x64. I assume that is what fixed this issue.

uhhh quite a few people can play like that.

If you have hours and hours to spend mastering it, sure. I don't. I want to play, be challenged a bit, and shoot stuff. That's what Doom is. Err, was. I appreciate the skill that dude has, but in the 2-3 hours a week I have to play right now, I'm not putting in that kind of time to learn.

Thanks, but no thanks. Wish I could get a refund.

The game is really good though. It starts out strange, but if you put in a few hours you'll see it's a lot of fun.

The game is really good though. It starts out strange, but if you put in a few hours you'll see it's a lot of fun.

Not... really? It's fast twitch counters. The devs got over-enthused with the glory kill and change mechanics from 2016 and made a whole game of it, instead of just making more Doom. It's getting old fast, and I'm only 2 hours in. It's just... boring.

Not... really? It's fast twitch counters. The devs got over-enthused with the glory kill and change mechanics from 2016 and made a whole game of it, instead of just making more Doom. It's getting old fast, and I'm only 2 hours in. It's just... boring.

That is my take as well.
It's kind of weird, they added _more_ options, but to me it just feels overdesigned and like a chore to play.
Somehow that then translates into boredom, it's almost like they piled too many mechanics on top of the fundamental FPS loop - because there is definitely a really good game in there under all that junk.

That is my take as well.
It's kind of weird, they added _more_ options, but to me it just feels overdesigned and like a chore to play.
Somehow that then translates into boredom, it's almost like they piled too many mechanics on top of the fundamental FPS loop - because there is definitely a really good game in there under all that junk.
Yeah. I think you nailed it. There are too many mechanics- too many counter changes, or “do x to stop y” choices, instead of having the OPTION to just blaze away- which was always a choice before.
Each of us plays doom for a different reason; some of us just want to unload on the swarms of hell. You can’t in eternal; that’s not really a valid choice. You MUST use the counters (and platforming) instead of just being able to choose how to play.

and that makes it feel a bit like an old rail shooter. You’re going through the motions. Not making really your own choices.

ID streamlined the animatons for this game making it super slick where Doom and Quake are corridor shooters this game graphics are good but the structure isn't there. I didn't even buy the game because it's like Quake Champions which isn't bad but it doesn't have a old school gritty feel to it.

I'm a bit under 2 hours in, the fighting when actually happening is usually quite frantic, then you get completely pulled out of the moment by the jumping bits which so far for me have been annoying but doable.

Not saying it is a bad game (yet anyways) but so far it is the worst doom game I have played.

THIS. Hated the jumping stuff,refunded it. Have played Doom 3 and Doom 2016,4 to 5 times each all the way through.

Didn't like the game too much unfortunately, the constant wall climbing and air strafing got extremely tedious and repetitive. Doom 3 and 2016 was much better, not sure why ID took this approach in this instalment.

There were a couple of spots maybe 3-5 in the game where I didn't know how I was supposed to air jump to get where I needed to be. So it was trial and error of dying a bunch of times to learn the exact steps and timing.

While I didn't mind the jumping in general, spots like what I talked about above were super annoying. IDK maybe I'm just bad at air jumping and timing. haha

Didn't like the game too much unfortunately, the constant wall climbing and air strafing got extremely tedious and repetitive. Doom 3 and 2016 was much better, not sure why ID took this approach in this instalment.

Same for me. The game is beautiful but I really didn't like the level design. I'm hoping they'll turn down the wall climbing/air jumping in the DLC's.

"Uncomfortable is challenging" OK...put a tack on your chair, sit down, and play about 30 minutes. There! Now wasn't that "challenging"...? Because that is pretty much the same experience as Doom Eternal....

Back