Why Do Mass Effect: Andromeda’s Female Characters Look so Ugly?

Never mind me, I'm just here to watch.

giphy.gif

I always thought the character customization in previous mass effect games was pretty rough. That's why I went with default male shepard as every time I tried to create something that looked better he looked like he was dropped on his head at birth. I could not even get into the witcher series because of something so superficial as not wanting to look at Geralt all the time.

The models changed quite a bit between games too. I had a decent looking Shep in the first but by the time I imported him to the 3rd game he looked like someone had beaten him about the face with a monkey wrench.

The models changed quite a bit between games too. I had a decent looking Shep in the first but by the time I imported him to the 3rd game he looked like someone had beaten him about the face with a monkey wrench.

My femshep looks like she rode a horse nonstop by the time ME3 came around. For some odd reason she became more bowlegged as the series progressed.

What!? 5'10, 170 pounds? That lady would have to be 5'5 or shorter to look that stout lol.

But honestly I don't care what the Mass effect models look like, I just want to play the game. Maybe the devs have a reason for toning down the super model look. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes and maybe that's what they are going for. They don't even look ugly IMO.

I remember when the first mass effect came out and people said the same thing then. The second came out and they enhanced the female Shepard and everyone swooned. Could have been the butt camera angles.

Now alien eye candy, that's what I like.

You are gonna romance that cat/lizard girl aren't you?

It's like they said, "lets make all the females look like masculine barbie dolls." Maybe it's because the character models/hair looks very plastic like.

Not sure why they couldn't make them look like their real life actors, I mean that's what they did in the past with characters, why change it now?

I always thought the character customization in previous mass effect games was pretty rough. That's why I went with default male shepard as every time I tried to create something that looked better he looked like he was dropped on his head at birth. I could not even get into the witcher series because of something so superficial as not wanting to look at Geralt all the time.
bioware character customization really requires you to shift the head around every time to make a change, because you end up making your character look fine from one angle then a monster form every other angle. TBH why do people still think character sliders is the method to create characters. People never use them right because they are unintuitive. Just do it the way probably character creators do it which is though highlighting the section your changing and dragging the face into place with the mouse, the only trick is dealing with integrating size adjustments with the mouse movement method.
That's because bioware could never leave anything alone you could get your original character back but you had to mess around again for hours messing with their settings. It's like settings between darksouls 1 and 2. It's a great sign when you use the same words and same values for your character creator but the characters end up completely differently because you changed what they do. Bioware's importer suffers the same problem, name and values end up the same but the parts of the face that get pulled around are slightly different.

Wow. I am now glad I am not the only one who thought Sarah looked seriously ugly. Her entire head looks like it was squashed and the result was pushing her jaw wider... along with her mouth. A mouth so wide it would make Steven Tyler blush.

This may be the first time in like... EVER... I pick a male character for my first play through when I can chose my characters sex.

I think its totally fine if they are trying to be more diverse in how they represent characters in their game. That's great!

BUT!

Its interesting that the model they hired is not representative of that diversity. Virtual diversity is worthless if they cannot follow through in real life.

I think its totally fine if they are trying to be more diverse in how they represent characters in their game. That's great!

BUT!

Its interesting that the model they hired is not representative of that diversity. Virtual diversity is worthless if they cannot follow through in real life.

I donno man. I think it would detract from my gaming experience if on occasion I didn't think DIZZAM I wish that rendered rack or anti aliased ass was real cause that shit is tight!

P.S. You ALL know you've done it!

So I'd assume that SJW also thinks Anime girls are sexist because they have unrealistically big eyes, disproportionate body ratios and always nearly pleasant to look at?

So I'd assume that SJW also thinks Anime girls are sexist because they have unrealistically big eyes, disproportionate body ratios and always nearly pleasant to look at?

Hell yeah they do! As do 7 out of 10 feminists and 7 out of 10 bull dikes. It's like a dentists survey only different.

They probably just wanted to make it realistic, so this is the model for medium skill level. If you want the hot model, you set it to easy.

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but there is nothing subjective about what BioWare artists have done for the new Mass Effect. The actress for the female version of Ryder must be wondering why the heck her face was modified so drastically for the game. It’s actually quite interesting, since the male Ryder looks pretty consistent with his model—what did BioWare mean by this?

Or is accurate 3D modelling and that is how she looks without makeup?

Without getting into what I really think the reason is, my guess is that they made certain features enlarged so that 1. the lip sync tech would cause the character model to clip less / be easier to implement 2. easier for a console player watching from a distance to see their features.

Plus, you know, Bioware having gone to shit.

what's the problem here?
Texture upgrade mod in the future and it's fixed.
They'll probably make it into a paid for dlc

Makes me wonder what would be said about STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl nowadays. That game had zero women in it.

Modifying the male skeletons and models for female characters is pretty normal in gaming. It reduces production costs.

Makes me wonder what would be said about STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl nowadays. That game had zero women in it.

And I didn't even notice. Let be honest, if there was a situation similar to what occurred in STALKER there would be few females around. Just like in an active war zone, it is mostly men. Except this would be even more skewed towards males, as the civilians would have been evacuated. How many women in South America, Africa and Asia get into shootouts with the military/police? Knowingly go into extremely dangerous areas to steal often from fellow thieves, all of whom are heavily armed and not bound by law? Not many. It worked fairly well for the setting STALKER was trying to create. I suppose if it was done today it would be littered with super-hero women characters. Nothing wrong with women in games (I liked Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider, played the female character in L4D) but throwing them in an unfitting theme just makes the game feel cheesy.

Last edited:
If only Bioware gave us a way to customize our character. If there was only a way I could change her face, hair, eyes (height, length, depth), the bridge of her nose, the point of her cheekbones to be more edgy, that body type that I want...if only they did that...
Clever remark, this would1ve been, if the problem would be solely with the main character. But it's symptomatic of all female NPCs as well. And this was already the case with DA:I as well.
I'm not saying I'm not buying the game because of this, but it certainly takes away from the experience. SJWs hate everyone who is better or better looking than themselves. So probably in the next game the hero will be a fumbling idiot. I can detect signs of that here already. They tried to make the main character as generic and as mediocre as possible.
I don't want a reminder of the mediocrity of life in a fantasy game. The very concept of roleplaying is about doing and acting in ways that you can't in real life. So pushing this "average is great" narrative is fucking bullshit.
And going by the quality of chracter creators by bioware. IT is very difficult to actually create a better looking character. I could maybe get the look of my character right in previous ME games right once or twice, but most of the time the outcome wasn't satisfactory. And this goes for both male and female characters I played.

BUT!

Diversity is worthless period.

Every study done into diversity shows that it's not beneficial in any way, in fact "diverse" people tend to get along much worse. Which is pretty logical, since the more diverse some people are the more diverse their needs and wants tend to be. Just a small menial example of this. Two households next to each other, when do they get along better? If both like the same things or if they like very different things?

And I didn't even notice. Let be honest, if there was a situation similar to what occurred in STALKER there would be few females around. Just like in an active war zone, it is mostly men. Except this would be even more skewed towards males, as the civilians would have been evacuated. How many women in South America, Africa and Asia get into shootout with the military/police? Knowingly go into extremely dangerous areas to steal often from fellow thieves, all of whom are heavily armed and not bound by law? Not many. It worked fairly well for the setting STALKER was trying to create. I suppose if it was done today it would be littered with super-hero women characters. Nothing wrong with women in games (I liked Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider, played the female character in L4D) but throwing them in an unfitting theme just makes the game feel cheesy.

Come to think of it, Call of Duty 4 had no women in it either. I think no women is better than women thrown in just to look sexy, the way Hollywood likes to do.

Dear feminists, even a Scottish man in a kilt could never become a male secretary...because he'd just be too fucking boss at it. ;)

Gotta wonder if there's a hottie we just haven't met yet...

I plan to play the game and find out.

Diversity is worthless period.

Every study done into diversity shows that it's not beneficial in any way, in fact "diverse" people tend to get along much worse. Which is pretty logical, since the more diverse some people are the more diverse their needs and wants tend to be. Just a small menial example of this. Two households next to each other, when do they get along better? If both like the same things or if they like very different things?

Here's something I've been thinking about: diversity (of opportunity) is the emergent feature of separation.

We already understand equality of opportunity versus equality of outcome, and I guess the next one is diversity of opportunity versus diversity of outcome.

When you allow individuals and/or groups to be separate, distinct, independent, then from this may or may not (we care about opportunity, not outcome) emerge spontaneous diversity as each individual and/or group is allowed to develop, interact, and solve problems independently. Enforcing diversity of result does not mean that there was any independence (hence diversity) in achieving said results, it is merely a superficial facade. Therefore a homogeneous monocultural scandinavian cracker ethnicity could be diverse as fuck, but a shitfest of confused transqueer crayons — despite their colourful display — a shallow and stifling non-diverse straightjacket.

It is not about apperances, it is about independence.

Wait a minute... why couldn't they pick up an ugly model to begin with?
Because they trusted that their modelling skills are bad enough that no matter the model the end result will be ugly.

SJW are ruining even... gaming? That's why Trump won...

other than the overall shape of the face, I see a close resembalence.

The video character is less " attractive" but come on, it's a game, not a beauty contest.

Magoo, you need glasses! :giggle:

They didn't take into account the 5 hours of photoshop and all that makeup she has caked on. Otherwise it'd be pretty spot on!

Last edited:
Back