Why Do Mass Effect: Andromeda’s Female Characters Look so Ugly?

They didn't take into account the 5 hours of photoshop and all that makeup she has caked on. Otherwise it'd be pretty spot on!

The makeup and glamour shot selfie camera will be day 1 paid DLC.

maybe there isn't some secret agenda to manipulate the world. Maybe the artists just suck? Maybe they spent a ton of time on the male characters and when starting female, management cut a couple weeks off their deadline.

I think its totally fine if they are trying to be more diverse in how they represent characters in their game. That's great!

BUT!

Its interesting that the model they hired is not representative of that diversity. Virtual diversity is worthless if they cannot follow through in real life.
Diversity is just a fascist code word for discriminating against the mainstream culture. Dr. King's did not preach diversity, his solution was integration: combining separate components into one (i.e. monoculturalism). He did not want to segregate us into different diverse subcultures; he wanted the mainstream culture opened up for all to join.

SJW and radical feminists are evil, misandristic and a threat to liberty and individuality.

They didn't take into account the 5 hours of photoshop and all that makeup she has caked on. Otherwise it'd be pretty spot on!

Speaking from photographic experience, this is a good part of it; another is the differing perspectives: if you shove a wide lens in a model's face, they're likely to become violent upon viewing the result. The rendered image given is like that, whereas the shot of the model in question is further back with a tighter, more flattering perspective.

(this is also why we don't find selfies terribly flattering, as they are *wide* lenses, so filling the frame results in unflattering perspective distortion)

I kinda agree with the article. I don't know why male characters in games can look good but female characters have to be "real". I'm playing a video game to be in a fantasy world with fantasy events happening. Why can't characters be beautiful in my fantasy world? I see enough real people in real life. Do I have to see "real" people in my fantasy world also?

why can't all female characters look and dress like Quiet from Phantom Pain? :D
mgs5-quiet.jpg

I think this is exactly it.

Having beautiful female models in a game like Mass Effect makes the experience more enjoyable for their primary audience, but will they not buy it like this?
No, they will still buy it, so let's accommodate the largest audience that will be triggered (Coincidentally, people who will not even buy the game, but WILL cause a massive PR storm to feel self-important).

The problem is that NO ONE wants to look at ugly people. Females want to look at beautiful females. All women magazines have pictures of beautiful women, Victoria's Secrets have beautiful models selling their products to females, etc, etc.

The problem is that NO ONE wants to look at ugly people. Females want to look at beautiful females.
That was actually an episode on mythbusters.

Prettier girls with bigger boobs got better tips from women, and the delta was greater from female tippers than from male tippers. Its called "easy on the eyes" for a reason.

And don't even know why they are mad. Thai ladyboys winning international beauty pageants before the reveal is proof there are no inherently ugly women, just lazy ones! Diet, exercise, and surgery, everyone can be decently hot. Think about it, even horse-face Sarah Jessica Parker is considered "hot".

maybe there isn't some secret agenda to manipulate the world. Maybe the artists just suck? Maybe they spent a ton of time on the male characters and when starting female, management cut a couple weeks off their deadline.
Yes the spent time on all the male characters, and neglected all female characters the same way? Coincidence?

The problem is that NO ONE wants to look at ugly people. Females want to look at beautiful females. All women magazines have pictures of beautiful women, Victoria's Secrets have beautiful models selling their products to females, etc, etc.
Except for feminists who only want to look at women uglier than them, to polish their ego. It's the same thing that's happening in ideology. They create their echo chamber where no dissenting opinion can be heard. And now it seems they also want to make the world a "safe space" where they're the best looking.

That was actually an episode on mythbusters.

Prettier girls with bigger boobs got better tips from women, and the delta was greater from female tippers than from male tippers. Its called "easy on the eyes" for a reason.

And don't even know why they are mad. Thai ladyboys winning international beauty pageants before the reveal is proof there are no inherently ugly women, just lazy ones! Diet, exercise, and surgery, everyone can be decently hot. Think about it, even horse-face Sarah Jessica Parker is considered "hot".

"there are no inherently ugly women, just lazy ones", is ACTUALLY a saying in Japan.

I kinda agree with the article. I don't know why male characters in games can look good but female characters have to be "real". I'm playing a video game to be in a fantasy world with fantasy events happening. Why can't characters be beautiful in my fantasy world? I see enough real people in real life. Do I have to see "real" people in my fantasy world also?
The thing people forget is models are real people, too. I'm also tired of being told what "real" people look like when I see "beautiful" people every day. Though my perception may be skewed living in South Florida...

I just thought they were doing it to be more 'realistic'. I mean put a model through boot camp and then put her in combat, and she will not look like her glamour shot.

That makes no sense. Why do all that work rather than find a woman who has gone through boot camp. Or perhaps a woman in MMA or similar combat sport? That seems far easier.

Yes the spent time on all the male characters, and neglected all female characters the same way? Coincidence?

Well I only saw 2 characters in the article, so yes it is quite possibly a fudge up and not a social manipulation.

I am not saying it can't be possible, I am just saying too many are looking for some nefarious motive behind it.

Just saying don't reach for your tin hat quite yet, look past the journalist that is spinning things to create controversy so they get clicks.

The animations really look robotic, honestly it looks like either a different person behind the image and motion capture with less experience.

Well I only saw 2 characters in the article, so yes it is quite possibly a fudge up and not a social manipulation.

I am not saying it can't be possible, I am just saying too many are looking for some nefarious motive behind it.

Just saying don't reach for your tin hat quite yet, look past the journalist that is spinning things to create controversy so they get clicks.

The animations really look robotic, honestly it looks like either a different person behind the image and motion capture with less experience.
If it was just those two characters and it was the first time I'd be skeptical. But DA:I didn't have a single female character that I'd call beautiful in the traditional sense. I see a trend here.

That makes no sense. Why do all that work rather than find a woman who has gone through boot camp. Or perhaps a woman in MMA or similar combat sport? That seems far easier.

Because they are hiring actors, and then they tweak the look to meet their needs.

why can't all female characters look and dress like Quiet from Phantom Pain? :D
She might dress like a slut, but that character has a quite androgynous look. I always found that uncanny.

Since everyone here seems to be a massive SJW hater, everyone seems to have forgotten the possible other argument of why all the female characters are ugly. They could have used the same skeleton as the male characters because they were lazy and changed the model to fit with a male skeleton. As such, the female characters would look more male. Speculation of course.

As the narrative and characterisation in games improves, you are going to have stories where a character with the looks of a model doesn't suit the part. For instance in the movie Two Days One Night, Marion Cotillard plays a factory worker pleading to keep her job - she was too beautiful for the role - it was distracting. I think you have to give space to game creators to set the character design to suit their story.

SJW is an exonym and while it may describe quite well a superficial support of cause célebres there are genuinely valid motives as to why you might not want a conventionally beautiful video game character in a particular role. You might miss those motives in a rush to label them. I do sympathise with your suspicions - I generally support diversity in video games but DA:I's efforts were sometimes clunky to the point of parody... "Hello I am the transgender character." So it goes, it was always going to be awkward in video games at first...

Personally, I think they did try to make her look a bit less like a model. I liked that, I think she's attractive. I can see how I would play that character - a nerdy engineer maybe. It does jar with the male model though, who is catalogue good-looking, that makes me curious.

Since everyone here seems to be a massive SJW hater, everyone seems to have forgotten the possible other argument of why all the female characters are ugly. They could have used the same skeleton as the male characters because they were lazy and changed the model to fit with a male skeleton. As such, the female characters would look more male. Speculation of course.

what you call a "SJW hater" i see as people against turning everyone into a submissive little retard afraid of having an opinion of its own.

I think this is exactly it.

Having beautiful female models in a game like Mass Effect makes the experience more enjoyable for their primary audience, but will they not buy it like this?
No, they will still buy it, so let's accommodate the largest audience that will be triggered (Coincidentally, people who will not even buy the game, but WILL cause a massive PR storm to feel self-important).

But how can that impact sales when the customer base has no issue with it. If the people bitching aren't the ones buying and playing the game anyway ?

Last edited:
what you call a "SJW hater" i see as people against turning everyone into a submissive little retard afraid of having an opinion of its own.

And that is the problem with labels. Almost every group that has a label has at it's roots a reasonable and decent ethic. It's usually the extremists within any labeled group that typically detract from the groups message and fuel dislike and even hatred from others.

I'm not against treating women or anyone else unfairly. I do have a problem with people who use such issues as a shield and rallying cry, in order to pursue a pogrom of abuse and tyranny.

Well in my eyes that's not much better. Either way the female characters are ugly.
  • frostbite engine is crap (it is, but crap in this regard also)
  • laziness of the devs
  • sjw infiltration in the design team
Unfortunately there is evidence of a strong sjw presence at bioware. So I'm leaning towards the third reason.

Doesn't Mass Effect let you customize the character to look however you want? I agree that both the default male and female models look super generic, but isn't that the point?

But how can that impact sales when the customer base has no issue with it. If the people bitching aren't the ones buying and playing the game anyway ?

On what do you base that observation? I can tell you right now that I'm a customer I purchased every previous ME game, including all Single player DLCs. So if I'm not a customer then noone is. And I already pre-ordered this one as well. And I take issue with the look of the characters. Even the male characters look average, only not outright ugly as the females.

And that is the problem with labels. Almost every group that has a label has at it's roots a reasonable and decent ethic. It's usually the extremists within any labeled group that typically detract from the groups message and fuel dislike and even hatred from others.

I'm not against treating women or anyone else unfairly. I do have a problem with people who use such issues as a shield and rallying cry, in order to pursue a pogrom of abuse and tyranny.

Social justice doesn't have it's roots in anything reasonable. It's an unreasonable concept to begin with. What do you think it's right about?

Doesn't Mass Effect let you customize the character to look however you want? I agree that both the default male and female models look super generic, but isn't that the point?
C'mon we have been trough this already. The ugly treatment is not only affecting the main character, but all the rest as well who you can't customize. Plus the character generator in previous BW games was pretty bad at actually making the character look good.

Social justice doesn't have it's roots in anything reasonable. It's an unreasonable concept to begin with. What do you think it's right about?

Anybody can say that about an ideology they don't like. It's too easy.

I would have thought the core of social justice was the application of the Golden Rule, e.g. do unto others as you would have done onto you.

More concretely, it would be about having some relative level of equality of opportunity within your society. Societies with relatively close levels of equality of opportunity do better in terms of mental and physical health, crime, drug use and so on.

Maybe you have some other idea of what it means, I don't know.

Again, you will always have superficial supporters of a cause célèbre, what I believe you call SJWs, but that doesn't invalidate treating everyone relatively fairly, despite differences.

More concretely, it would be about having some relative level of equality of opportunity within your society.
You just said equality of outcome without actually saying equality of outcome.
I'm truly baffled. "Relative equality of opportunity" What is that? If different people are given different opportunities or incentives it's not equality of opportunity anymore. Sorry but you can't have it both ways. A legless man will never be a basketball player. It's better to realize and accept that, than trying to invent rules where the able bodied man is banned from using his legs.

You just happened to register today solely to defend social justice?

Y

Hey now, we all came here at one point and registered because of something that irked us. Most of us were part of the site long before messing on forums. :)

Hey now, we all came here at one point and registered because of something that irked us. Most of us were part of the site long before messing on forums. :)
I'm not accusing of anything yet. But kind of a strange thing to register on a tech forum for.

having a hot female character is all well and good...I always choose male characters though...and no I'm not gay...maybe male characters represent strength better?

I'm not accusing of anything yet. But kind of a strange thing to register on a tech forum for.

True, but step back a sec. We are arguing the motive for why a company made an ugly 3d model/texture of a female character in a video game. We kinda slid away from my overclock is bigger than your overclock. :p

True, but step back a sec. We are arguing the motive for why a company made an ugly 3d model/texture of a female character in a video game. We kinda slid away from my overclock is bigger than your overclock. :p
I always get the shoft straw in the silicon lottery. At least in the past 15 years, I haven't had a decent overclocker. GPU or CPU.

Ultimately I don't care why the models are ugly. I just care that they're ugly and I don't like it. As the release date of the game draws closer my excitement for it gets smaller and smaller. I might have buyers regret already. Having the ability to create a great character is paramount for me in RPGs.

You just said equality of outcome without actually saying equality of outcome.
I'm truly baffled. "Relative equality of opportunity" What is that? If different people are given different opportunities or incentives it's not equality of opportunity anymore. Sorry but you can't have it both ways. A legless man will never be a basketball player. It's better to realize and accept that, than trying to invent rules where the able bodied man is banned from using his legs.

Social justice is not about treating everyone equally, it's about giving equal consideration to everyone. That's vague, so let me give examples. I'm not going to argue whether or not these examples are true, or whether the government should necessarily step in and try to fix anything ( I believe a lot of problems need to be fixed by people themselves, not forced into government law).

A legless man will (most likely) never be a basketball player. However, what if the legless man demonstrates he can perform a job requiring some amount of labor adequetely (perform it as fast or faster as an average person). Is it right that he is denied a job because the employer has a subconscious idea that he won't work as well? What relevance is it that he doesn't have legs if he gets the job done?

What about a woman and a man competing for some job and the woman being denied the job because she is too emotional. Is she actually " too emotional"? Where did that decision come from? What impact does her "emotion" have on the job? What relevance does her being part of the female group have to whether or not she has the skills to perform for the job.

Sometimes equal consideration actually means treating people differently. If you own a climbing gym and see a legless man come in that wants to climb you don't offer him shoes. It will simply be taken as a bad joke at best or insult at worst. You give consideration to people based on evidence. Anecdotal evidence is bad evidence.

If a man comes into an abortion clinic asking for an abortion you don't go through with the procedure. He is physiologically different, it doesn't make sense. You obviously can't treat women and man the same, but you can consider what someone is trying to accomplish and decide whether or not it's relevant they are part of a different group.

What about poor children that are forced to go underfunded schools. What relevance is it that a child's parents are poor that the child is denied a good education?

These examples maybe contrived, but I'm just trying to give examples.

On what do you base that observation?....................

LOL, my observation isn't an observation, it's a "?" Question :sneaky:

I think I must have been unclear M79, when I was talking about customers not having a problem with how ME characters look, I was referring more to the older ME games. I can tell you I really like my ME chick I made.

I am temped to make a comparison between my ME chick's ass and my wife's, but it's just not even fair, not at all.

But really, I was talking more about the issue as a whole with all this kick-back about how game characters look. That was my thoughts when I posted.

Last edited:
having a hot female character is all well and good...I always choose male characters though...and no I'm not gay...maybe male characters represent strength better?

I get that, I was thinking about it myself. For me I got that attitude that if I am going to spend a few hundred hours staring at an ass, it's going to be a female's ass if I have a choice about it.

But then I wonder why I also make male characters at times and it's because some games allow more immersion and .... I think when I make male characters it's not that I want to "be" that character as much as it's when I get to put an existing character into a game. For instance, in Skyrim, I have a character that I really tried to make look like Blade, Wesley Snipes. I made a Scarlet Johansen in Fallout4, and I made some Asian actress for the first ME although I don't remember who. Or it's a character from the game, in Skyrim I also made a Ysgamor Nord character and he had all the Ysgamor's equipment and shit. If I use a male toon it's because it fits a theme I want to push into the game world.

Otherwise, I want some hot chick's ass to look at. It's not any more complex then that for me.

I get that, I was thinking about it myself. For me I got that attitude that if I am going to spend a few hundred hours staring at an ass, it's going to be a female's ass if I have a choice about it.

But then I wonder why I also make male characters at times and it's because some games allow more immersion and .... I think when I make male characters it's not that I want to "be" that character as much as it's when I get to put an existing character into a game. For instance, in Skyrim, I have a character that I really tried to make look like Blade, Wesley Snipes. I made a Scarlet Johansen in Fallout4, and I made some Asian actress for the first ME although I don't remember who. Or it's a character from the game, in Skyrim I also made a Ysgamor Nord character and he had all the Ysgamor's equipment and shit. If I use a male toon it's because it fits a theme I want to push into the game world.

Otherwise, I want some hot chick's ass to look at. It's not any more complex then that for me.

for me when I play a character I want to be that character...I want to get immersed in the story, atmosphere and world...so I think playing a male character, especially in an action heavy game I just feel more connected if I can see myself through that character...as far as staring at a hot ass, once you get a few hours into the game you forget about the ass and get engrossed in the story...the Tomb Raider games for example, the hotness of Lara goes away quick and you notice the world around her more

Back