Why did you buy Bulldozer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because this isn't shopping for clothes or picking curtains for a room. It's about numbers, one is faster than the other, period.

Your right, mine is faster then a stock i7 2700 by leaps and bounds = better. Intel = Junk. :rolleyes:

Let see, 10 years ago I was modeling, ray tracing complex scenes with, GASP! a single core less then 1ghz. Yes numbers comes into play but usefullness as in getting the job done is also important in what you want to do. If this is a contest for some sort of prize as in who has the highest number maybe fun to participate but sometimes the number differences mean absolutely squat is my point. I can run over 5 ghz but normally run at 4.6, why because it gets the job done.

Your right, mine is faster then a stock i7 2700 by leaps and bounds = better. Intel = Junk. :rolleyes:

Let see, 10 years ago I was modeling, ray tracing complex scenes with, GASP! a single core less then 1ghz. Yes numbers comes into play but usefullness as in getting the job done is also important in what you want to do. If this is a contest for some sort of prize as in who has the highest number maybe fun to participate but sometimes the number differences mean absolutely squat is my point. I can run over 5 ghz but normally run at 4.6, why because it gets the job done.

And a 2600k does the job even better and will continue to do the job for a longer period of time for the same price... GASP!

And a 2600k does the job even better and will continue to do the job for a longer period of time for the same price... GASP!

Maybe. Hard to say I would be happier with an Intel since I wouldn't have to debate such matters ;). Actually I was going to go with Intel, 2600K, then Intel decided to pull their boards and AMD struck with rumours of impeding BD release of around June . . . Well here I am with BD. I think I would be happy with either, both can perform well. At the time and still feel in certain aspects that AMD gave more options I was interested in at a lower cost. Then it comes down to would a 4.6ghz 2600K or even a 4.8ghz 2600K really benefit me more then my fx8120 right now? The answer for me is no.

I think Ivy Bridge will be a whole new ball game which should be coming out in the near future, will I really need those performance improvements? Wait and see. For me to dump my BD system for a 2700K or SB-E I see as totally pointless at this time, side grade at best.

Maybe. Hard to say I would be happier with an Intel since I wouldn't have to debate such matters ;). Actually I was going to go with Intel, 2600K, then Intel decided to pull their boards and AMD struck with rumours of impeding BD release of around June . . . Well here I am with BD. I think I would be happy with either, both can perform well. At the time and still feel in certain aspects that AMD gave more options I was interested in at a lower cost. Then it comes down to would a 4.6ghz 2600K or even a 4.8ghz 2600K really benefit me more then my fx8120 right now? The answer for me is no.

I think Ivy Bridge will be a whole new ball game which should be coming out in the near future, will I really need those performance improvements? Wait and see. For me to dump my BD system for a 2700K or SB-E I see as totally pointless at this time, side grade at best.

My same thoughts, finally got my 8150 to 4.7 mostly stable by tweaking the FSB a little more and it's churning out pretty decent numbers. Numbers that i'm happy with, at least Until PD or Ivy.
Honestly, I'm more worried about getting a new mobo than anything, but I will not be doing that until I get a new CPU.

Last edited:
And in the real world millions still get by with their P4 3Ghz CPUs...........

My same thoughts, finally got my 8150 to 4.7 mostly stable by tweaking the FSB a little more and it's churning out pretty decent numbers. Numbers that i'm happy with, at least Until PD or Ivy.
Honestly, I'm more worried about getting a new mobo than anything, but I will not be doing that until I get a new CPU.

Cool!
From my experience I came to a multiplier wall, once I upped the fsb I gained stability, then more stability upping the fsb more and decreasing the multiplier. I use a 275 fsb, sync with HT and NB. I upped my ram from DDR1600 to DDR2133 which gives more options when OCing (was on sell dirt cheap at the egg) You can look at the tests I did with this ram so far plus comparison to a rather tricked out 2700K system with 2133 ram timings here: (Yes the 2700K kicks ass, I am though not done yet ;), hehe I am at my slowest core speed OC limit, AMD allows decoupling the cores each having their own clock, I have cores that will do over 5.5ghz :D, I will need to get cough cough a 920 though to really pursue that avenue.)

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33985266

There is a graph towards the end of that thread.

The other unique feature of my system is my case is A/C cooled, the case itself is insulated inside to keep the heat out :D. I figured an Antec 620 would be enough since I can blow -5c or lower air through it, this is good to about 5ghz for stress testing (sat) but going beyond that point I cannot adequately stress test the cpu to make sure it is stable hence a need for a 920 water cooler if I want to pursue this.

Last edited:

lol, ain't that the truth, those folks probably laugh at some of use dabbling about the importance of cpu insanity while most of the time the cpu is at 1-2% consuming 200w plus of energy, fans on high with a case that looks more like a heater lighted up like a Christmas tree, then a computer.

Your right, mine is faster then a stock i7 2700 by leaps and bounds = better. Intel = Junk. :rolleyes

There is no AMD CPU faster than a 2700K even with the AMD overclocked and the 2700K at stock, except for in a few multithreaded benchmarks representing probably less than 2% of what even enthusiasts in this forum do.

It gets even more lopsided one the 2700K is overclocked.

Even a stock i3-2100 beats a top end overclocked BD in most normal single threaded use, which is what most people do, and most games rely upon.

lol, ain't that the truth, those folks probably laugh at some of use dabbling about the importance of cpu insanity while most of the time the cpu is at 1-2% consuming 200w plus of energy, fans on high with a case that looks more like a heater lighted up like a Christmas tree, then a computer.

That is true for most applications, but not all.

In certain scenes in Red Orchestra 2, even my [email protected] is CPU limited with all GPU settings turned up to max.

You runnin a Vodoo?

Nope, dual 6970's in crossfire at 2560x1600 with everything at max.

On some of the new custom community made maps I only get ~75% GPU utilization, despite my [email protected].

This game is a pretty extreme outlier as they go, but it just goes to show that even today just to be sure you probably want as much CPU as you can get.

I upgrades to this because my Phenom II x6 at 4.0Ghz was not fast enough to be playable, often dipping as low as 25fps

Why are we on page 25 with intel users still coming in to the thread to measure their dicks ?

Haven't you all had enough by now ?

Is it some form of actual insecurity ?

EDIT: My post might be a little rough around the edges, and for that I guess I apologize or w/e, but I seriously don't get it. On every page of this thread, if someone shares a BD score, it is immediately followed with a "Yeah but 2X00K could do that without even being plugged in to wall power". The thread is NOT titled "Why DIDN'T you buy Bulldozer".

Last edited:
I picked one up recently and have had zero problems, be it from game frame rates to everyday operation. Windows zips along noticeably faster than my overclocked e8400. I haven't even had the need to overclock but am water cooled when that time comes.

I received a good deal at micocenter on the 8120 with Crosshair V that I couldn't pass up. Very happy with my new desktop.

Zarathustra[H];1038279592 said:
There is no AMD CPU faster than a 2700K even with the AMD overclocked and the 2700K at stock, except for in a few multithreaded benchmarks representing probably less than 2% of what even enthusiasts in this forum do.

It gets even more lopsided one the 2700K is overclocked.

Even a stock i3-2100 beats a top end overclocked BD in most normal single threaded use, which is what most people do, and most games rely upon.

lol, what ever you say. Why actually did you buy a six core processor since virtually everything is single threaded as you say? To donate money to the cause, Intel cause that is? Plus your wrong on your assumptions as well but that really doesn't matter does it?

Or their skt 754 3400+ Venices clocked at 2.6 to 2.7. I have 3 of them and they still do office work for me just fine...
Granted, I do have a Phenom II 945 and a 1090T but for a good bit of my business needs the skt 754 Venices are the backbone machines. Gotta love it that a 6 yr. old setup is still kicking butt.

I picked one up recently and have had zero problems, be it from game frame rates to everyday operation. Windows zips along noticeably faster than my overclocked e8400. I haven't even had the need to overclock but am water cooled when that time comes.

I received a good deal at micocenter on the 8120 with Crosshair V that I couldn't pass up. Very happy with my new desktop.

Dude, if your already under water you should be slapped for not OC'ing that 8120.

I know, I need to look up a guide for this fancy UEFI bios though. So many options! haha.

You have the upper end ASUS board so I am sure it will support that 8120 rather well. I am hoping to come up with a decent OCing guide, just trying to figure out the best way in doing that at the moment. The ASUS UEFI bios is fantastic! Plus OCing options really are great as well.

If you already have BD I agree, upgrading to SB might not make much sense. I'm refferring to anyone who is about to build a system from the ground up. It's hard to recommend a CPU that cost the same or more yet does just about nothing better or even as good, all the while consuming more power and running hotter. In a case like that, it being "good enough" for what you do still doesn't make sense until it's price comes inline with it's performance.

If you already have BD I agree, upgrading to SB might not make much sense. I'm refferring to anyone who is about to build a system from the ground up. It's hard to recommend a CPU that cost the same or more yet does just about nothing better or even as good, all the while consuming more power and running hotter. In a case like that, it being "good enough" for what you do still doesn't make sense until it's price comes inline with it's performance.

Here we go again.

That is more reasonable. I would recommend a 2600K over a BD system for single high end card gaming. Now if you have specific type of applications such as large Hash table operations (Database type stuff, DNA sequencing etc.) then BD creams all over all Intel desktop chips by leaps and bounds but for most people here that is not a big concern.

When you start to talk about multiple pcix configurations I think AMD side of the house has some rather nice configurations. For example I could go Tri CFX 7990 + 7970 plus have a Nvidia Card for PhysX and still have a 4x psix SSD card with motherboards less then $200 with 16x 8x 8x 4x. The limited 16x lanes on SB becomes way more limiting with a much higher cost if you expand it. Can the BD drive the configuration above decently, I don't know, reviewers are slow to really test out the capability of BD and multiple cards. The reviews out I find a lot of flaws with how tested and was done early upon release. TweakTown review was an utter joke but don't want to get into that.

There are valid reasons still to buy BD, if performance is way more sufficient for what you want to do and the platform offers the ability you want better then go for it, for example a lot of cores for VM or more available pcix slots. If Intel has what you need better, may it be performance or what not - go for it. I think we are smart enough and don't need others to try to think for us in what is better for us. One size does not fit all, Intel solution maybe good but may not be good enough for all of us is the bottom line.

And SB costs less when you get your grandma to drive you to microcenter and fit the bill for you right? ;) :p

:D lol: Plus pay tax, plus pay shipping and maybe gas and lunch and hear how grandma wrecked her car as well ;). Or get a processor that doesn't work, wrong one and now you have to send it back doing the same thing over again :D.

You have the upper end ASUS board so I am sure it will support that 8120 rather well. I am hoping to come up with a decent OCing guide, just trying to figure out the best way in doing that at the moment. The ASUS UEFI bios is fantastic! Plus OCing options really are great as well.

Definitely! Asus nailed this UEFI. The options in this thing are immense! I couldnt imagine what else you could add to it.

I got my Sabertooth Tuesday and have been experimenting with how far I can push this X6. Its already made a huge difference from my previous ASRock 780G board. With that it was throttling back the CPU at 3.8 and it took 1.475 volts to even get it to boot into Windows (man I pounded on that board). With this Sabertooth Im getting 3.9 rock solid under Prime with 1.44 volts. I bet I can push it further but I need better cooling. Im hovering around 55-56 during Prime95 right now and dont really want to push any higher.

I might get into water cooling but Ill need a bigger case first as my Antec 300 is getting a little crowded.

True if you already made the mistake it's probably better to wait to next gen of cpus before upgrade.

I had to suffer with X6 1055T like this. Well I saved <100 euro compared to i7 930 setup to pay 300 euro 18 months later to get new stuff.
Lesson learned :D

True if you already made the mistake it's probably better to wait to next gen of cpus before upgrade.

I had to suffer with X6 1055T like this. Well I saved <100 euro compared to i7 930 setup to pay 300 euro 18 months later to get new stuff.
Lesson learned :D

I don't see it as an mistake at all, running great for me. Others may feel that way but for me it has tunred out really good, if PD is 20%-30% better it might be worth playing around with for an upgrade itch.

So while I think if youre building a rig from scratch that there really isnt any reason to go AMD, but for existing AMD platform guys and cases like mine, I think it does make a little sense to stick with AMD for another round.

AMD is better for people on an extreme budget, you get more for your money. Last week a friend of mine contacted me about upgrading his aging P4 rig so he could run Skyrim and AMD was literally the only option that was within his budget. If you only have 80 dollars to spend on upgrades on a machine like his, Intel has nothing to offer.

I'm only bringing this up because you said there isn't a reason to go AMD but there really are reasons.

AMD is better for people on an extreme budget, you get more for your money. Last week a friend of mine contacted me about upgrading his aging P4 rig so he could run Skyrim and AMD was literally the only option that was within his budget. If you only have 80 dollars to spend on upgrades on a machine like his, Intel has nothing to offer.

I'm only bringing this up because you said there isn't a reason to go AMD but there really are reasons.

$80 budget for what upgrades, exactly?

Thats a good point. Ill change that then to say that if your CPU budget is over $125 then there is no reason to go AMD. Cant beat a $75 quad core if youre on a budget. Thats what made me go AMD years ago and why Im kinda loyal to them now. When I was a broke bitch, they gave me very capable processors with unlocked multipliers and 3+ cores for under $100.

$80 budget for what upgrades, exactly?

My friend had a Pentium 4b with 512MB of RAM and I forgot the videocard he has. All he wanted was to be able to play Skyrim without buying a Xbox 360. So for 80 dollars (the Max money his wife would let him spend) I found him a Athlon II X2, Socket AM2+ motherboard and 4GB of DDR2. I did give him a old PC case for free I had since he had a Sony Vio to start out with and couldn't re-use his case. He LOVES the rig. Of course he's coming from a P4 so not a huge surprise.

Last edited:
So following the same logic as those who have posted before me, everyone should buy the fastest car or the most luxurious because driving around in a Porsche or a Mercedes Benz or whatever car costs north of 100k is the Intel of cars. Then that makes the other manufacturers of affordable cars the AMD of cars. Since '95 I have owned a bunch of AMD procs. I have not wanted to pay the Intel prices and in the end it did not matter. I have other things I want to spend my money on.

So following the same logic as those who have posted before me, everyone should buy the fastest car or the most luxurious because driving around in a Porsche or a Mercedes Benz or whatever car costs north of 100k is the Intel of cars. Then that makes the other manufacturers of affordable cars the AMD of cars. Since '95 I have owned a bunch of AMD procs. I have not wanted to pay the Intel prices and in the end it did not matter. I have other things I want to spend my money on.

This really isn't apples to apples... It's a lot more feasible to get the most out of the best CPU made than it is the best/fastest car made. For example, where can you drive 200+ mph in the U.S? And please keep an answer like a long straight road or a race track to yourself as we both know that's not practical. Fact is, you'll never use the full potential of the fastest car ever made.

Another real problem is comparing a thousand dollar processor (Intel's best cpu's) to a 100k+ car... And 100k dollar car won't get you the fastest, for the fastest you're easily looking at 500k+.

I like AMD, and think their processors are very capable of handling most people's needs. Shoot, I own an Intel and AMD and like them both.

Except the entire point of this whole thread is that the price difference between an 8 core BD and an Intel i5/i7 either does not exist or FAVORS INTEL

I recommend you check 2012 pricing before hand if you buy something this year.

Except the entire point of this whole thread is that the price difference between an 8 core BD and an Intel i5/i7 either does not exist or FAVORS INTEL

I recommend checking the Thread title and OP, prior to attempting to define what the whole point of the thread is.Answering a query on what drove someone to purchase an item with a recommendation of another item is off topic, and pointless. Speaking to completely unrelated processors and older platforms is also off topic. Attempting to redefine the topic of the thread is way out there. This is especially true when you try to leverage thread topic as a dismissal of someone else.

TL;DR version:
You're an idiot.

No, the point of the thread was "why did you buy BD".
Not the price differences.

The thread has kind of become off topic in some places, but overall it's a good discussion.

I recommend checking the Thread title and OP, prior to attempting to define what the whole point of the thread is.Answering a query on what drove someone to purchase an item with a recommendation of another item is off topic, and pointless. Speaking to completely unrelated processors and older platforms is also off topic. Attempting to redefine the topic of the thread is way out there. This is especially true when you try to leverage thread topic as a dismissal of someone else.

TL;DR version:
You're an idiot.

Sounds like someone is just mad BD sucks and overpriced... Go ahead and remvoe "the whole point of this thread" from my post, and my argument still stands. Intel does not represent 100k cars like the post I quoted suggests. It's quite simply the better processor for the same price or LESS. Sorry if that reality is too hard to swallow for you.

Like I said, go check current pricing (and reviews) if you think I'm wrong.

Sounds like someone is just mad BD sucks and overpriced... Go ahead and remvoe "the whole point of this thread" from my post, and my argument still stands. Intel does not represent 100k cars like the post I quoted suggests. It's quite simply the better processor for the same price or LESS. Sorry if that reality is too hard to swallow for you.

Like I said, go check current pricing (and reviews) if you think I'm wrong.

BD overpriced? Yes
BD sucks? No

If the 8120 dropped to 169.99 and the 8150 to 199.99, they would have one hell of a product line, especially given the overclocking potential.
Seeing as how almost all online retailers are selling 2500k's for $230 (If your lucky to find them in stock, some are even charging tax which is ~$16 depending on your state) and 2600k's for $300+.
BD's biggest problem is price placement, it's just a little too expensive for what it does.
Don't even bring up Microcenter pricing because there are over 25 states that don't even have them, Newegg/Amazon/Tiger Direct pricing is standard for everyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back