Why by a new PSU?

JOSHSKORN

Limp Gawd
I'm going to rebuild my machine, as I have figured out that my motherboard has finally kicked the bucket. My current PSU is a little over 7 years old, and is a Thermaltake 750 watt. The build I'm going to make is the following:

CPU: 5960x
Motherboard: ASUS Extreme V Rampage
RAM: 16 GB (not sure which type yet)
GPU: Currently have GTX 460 SE 1GB. It works, still but I plan on replacing it with possibly the next generation GPU (I'm guessing it'll be called GTX 1080 (like GTX 980)).
Hard Drives: still up in the air, probably M.2 512 GB and a 6 TB HDD

Two questions:
If I were to replace my GPU, today, with the GTX 980, would my current PSU support this build?
I remember something about PSUs being rated as "Haswell ready". What does this mean? How much benefit would I get out of replacing my PSU (with something that's "Haswell Ready") if my old one still works fine?

EDIT: My current PSU is a Thermaltake W0117RU 750w. Also, I may consider adding an additional GPU, as well. As stated, I'm currently looking at the GTX 980 (specifically EVGA Superclocked). If necessary, I may run a second one in SLI, as needed. That said, IF I do get a new PSU, what wattage would I need to support GTX 980 2-way SLI?

Last edited:
Specifically what model is that Thermaltake? Thermaltake has had crap and good PSUs over the years. If it is one of the crap models, that would be reason alone to replace it.

Your planned system overclocked will most likely end up being a 550-650 watt system. Stock will be around 450-500 watts. If you have a good 750, it's more than sufficient. But I have my doubts about that Thermaltake being a good one.

Haswell ready means that it supports the low power sleep of Haswell processors. Some PSUs automatically shut off completely when power draw drops below a certain level, while others do not (these are the "Haswell Ready" PSUs). If you never use the low power sleep state, you don't need to worry about this marketing gimmick.

I agree with everything Tsumi said. Most likely that Thermaltake is mediocre at best and could very well be garbage. There is a small chance it's a good one, though, so do provide the model number.

600+ watts will be plenty sufficient if you don't intend to go for a multi-GPU or multi-socket-CPU setup. You might be okay with a quality 500w. You would definitely be okay with a quality 550w. Only reason I say 600 as a goal is in case you end up buying another low-quality brand like Thermaltake.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/core-i7-5960x-5930k-and-5820k-processor-review,8.html <-- see about halfway down. They measured just over 300W with a GTX 780. Likely the power consumption would hit more like 400w if they were trying to load the CPU and GPU to maximum rather than just gaming. And that load would be almost completely on the +12v. I'd basically say your PSU should do 450W or more in +12v. 5v and 3.3v don't get used that much; your system is unlikely to pull even 50W from them.

Also, capacitors (which are used in most electronic equipment but especially power supplies where they are needed the most) wear out over time. If the ones used in your current PSU are low-quality (a low-quality PSU uses low-quality capacitors, among other things), have significant hours on them and/or have gotten hot for significant amounts of time (which would be the case in any low-quality PSU) then they could become a liability. I'd have no problem using a high-quality PSU faily/constantly for 10 years or maybe even 15 if it's otherwise still working fine, but I wouldn't want to see a mediocre-quality PSU used for more than 5 years (if at all!).

Last edited:
Assuming no overclocking, no water cooling and no (extra) fans, power requirement for the proposed system with a GTX-980 video card would be around 400 W. Suggest a minimum PSU capacity of 550 W.

Because the Thermaltake unit has aged, it's output rating and quality, and its reliability would most likely have been degraded. The existing Thermaltake 750 W PSU should be replaced with a new good quality PSU rated at 550 Watts or more.

You need a clean stable and reliable power source for the upgrade, otherwise there is a real risk of damaging the new and expensive components with a questionable PSU (which is unlikely to last much longer anyway).

I have updated my original post to contain the answer to your question: What is the model number of my current PSU?

Additionally, two more questions:
If at some point I go SLI, what PSU wattage should I get?
Are there any pros/cons to modular vs non-modular PSUs? If that's been discussed, feel free to point me to another topic or article.

I have updated my original post to contain the answer to your question: What is the model number of my current PSU?
Well that particular PSU is better than expected. It's one of TT's more solid CWT-based PSU but even back then it was more or less a mid-range quality PSU. So combined with its 7+ years age, time to get a new PSU. If that PSU was brand new or higher quality, then yes it would have been good enough. But 7 years+? Ehhh

If at some point I go SLI, what PSU wattage should I get?
A good quality 750W is enough.
Are there any pros/cons to modular vs non-modular PSUs? If that's been discussed, feel free to point me to another topic or article.
At this point, it just comes down to price and whether or not you want easier cable management.

Turns out your Thermaltake is one of the better ones that Thermaltake has sold. If you're running single card, it will more than likely be fine, though I would plan on getting a spare for when it does die.

You have to realize that the GTX 980 and a Titan (or GTX 1080) level card are two very different beasts. The 980 is based on a mid-range chip without FP64, thus being much smaller and having lower power consumption. The 980 will consume at most around 220 watts, stock is around 180.

A Titan (presumably GTX 1080) card will be the massive, high end chip with FP64 (though it will probably be intentionally gimped on non-Titan models), and at stock consumes 250 watts while overclocked can go as high as 300 watts or higher. As you can see, the power requirements between the two cards will be vastly different.

Modular pros: unneeded cables stay out of case, saving space
Modular cons: possibility of losing needed cables, generally larger than non-modular PSUs, slightly more expensive
Some will say things like poor contact leads to lower performance, modular connections wear out, etc, but those are mostly myths.

Most high end PSUs are modular.

If you get a GTX 980 level GPU, then 450 watts is enough, 550 watts with overclocking. For SLI 980s, you will want a minimum of 750 watts with overclocking.
For Titan level GPU, 500 watts at stock, 600 watts with overclocking. SLI Titans, you want at least 850 watts, ideally a 1000 watt PSU (rarely is there a 900-950 watt PSU).

A Titan (presumably GTX 1080) card will be the massive, high end chip with FP64 (though it will probably be intentionally gimped on non-Titan models), and at stock consumes 250 watts while overclocked can go as high as 300 watts or higher. As you can see, the power requirements between the two cards will be vastly different.
If you get a GTX 980 level GPU, then 450 watts is enough, 550 watts with overclocking. For SLI 980s, you will want a minimum of 750 watts with overclocking.
For Titan level GPU, 500 watts at stock, 600 watts with overclocking. SLI Titans, you want at least 850 watts, ideally a 1000 watt PSU (rarely is there a 900-950 watt PSU).

I really don't get it Tsumi:
In this thread, ( http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1837726&page=2 ), for 2 x 290s, according to the webpage you have proposed me to use, http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/22.html , their wattage consumption is higher that the Titans, and you were saying about 750 watt consumption. Here, for Titans SLI, you are saying for 850 watt consumption
When i proposed a 1000 watt PSU as an ideal for the 2 x 290s, you said that will not be necessary, and now here you are saying that the ideal for the Titans SLI will be a 1000 watt PSU !!
Are Titans more power hungry than the 290s ? :(

Last edited:
The key difference is in the processor. The 290x and Titans will use about the same amount of power. But an overclocked 4690k is going to use 150-200 watts less than an overclocked 5960x. I would say that the 5690x can hit 250-300 watts, while the 4690k will be in the 100-150 watt range overclocked. You are comparing a quad-core without hyperthreading to a 8-core with hyperthreading.

You can't disregard processor differences, especially between mainstream Intel and enthusiast Intel. Enthusiast Intel processors can have insanely high power consumption when overclocked, matching that of high end GPUs.

I would have recommended a 900-950 watt PSU, but the ones that do exist are outdated (only the TX950 comes to mind). 150-200 watts less power needed puts it right in the 750 watt territory.

so is 1200 watts just overkill?

I'm looking at these two PSUs. Which one would you go for, and why/why not? Any other suggestions? I believe that the EVGA also comes in a 1000 watt variety, as well. I really don't know the difference between bronze, silver, gold, platinum, so I'm just blindly assuming that platinum is best, but I don't exactly know why.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Profe...8-1&keywords=1200+watt+psu&pebp=1416903761521

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernov...&qid=1416903756&sr=8-2&keywords=1200+watt+psu

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Power requirement for system with two GTX-980 video cards in SLI configuration, with no overclocking, no water cooling, and no extras would be around 550 W. Recommend high quality PSU rated at 700 Watts.

If there is to be overclocking then look at a minimum of 850 Watts capacity for the PSU.

Modular cabled PSU's have the advantage that only cables that are required need to be installed which means less clutter within the case, easier access to other components and reduced restriction to cooling air flow. Slight disadvantage is that they may cost a bit more than equivalent non-modular PSU's.

Bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and titanium ratings refer to efficiency of the PSU in increasing order. Higher efficiency means less power loss, lower electricity bills, and less component heating.

1200 watt PSU is way too much for the proposed setup! Unless there is the intention to do heavy overclocking with watercooling and with extra fans/drives in the near future?

1200 watts will be overkill for SLI Titan-level cards with a 5960x. 1000 watts already has plenty of headroom unless you decide to do LN2 overclocking. 850 would be the bare minimum of where you want to be.

1000 watts is extreme overkill for 980-level cards. You could do tri-SLI with 980 level cards on a 1000 watt PSU.

Yes, there is an EVGA 1000w P2. The Seasonic 1050XP3 would also be another good choice. A slightly cheaper but still high end option would be the EVGA 1000w G2.

It will do that easily. If you're doing 980 SLI, you can easily drop down to a 850 watt power supply and still have power left over.

It will do that easily. If you're doing 980 SLI, you can easily drop down to a 850 watt power supply and still have power left over.

I've got a question, actually. Lets say I do purchase the 1000 watt PSU and for now, only buy one GPU. How much power would the PSU actually draw? Would it only draw enough to run the machine or would it constantly be pulling 1,000 watts?

I've got a question, actually. Lets say I do purchase the 1000 watt PSU and for now, only buy one GPU. How much power would the PSU actually draw? Would it only draw enough to run the machine or would it constantly be pulling 1,000 watts?
Whatever the system needs is what the PSU will output/draw.

Whatever the system needs is what the PSU will output/draw.

So just throwing numbers out there, lets say I buy a 1000 watt PSU, yet my system may only NEED something along the lines of 600 watts to function fully. Even though I have a 1000 watt PSU, it could only be drawing (up to) 600 watts of power or whatever my computer "needs" at a given time based on what I'm doing?

It will only output as much as the computer needs. If it needs 100 watts, it'll output 100 watts.

How much it draws from the wall depends on its efficiency curve for that wattage.

I think you will be fine with Thermaltake 750 watt PSU unless you are experiencing unexpected issues.

Back