Why are X58 cpus so expensive?

rudy

[H]F Junkie
I actually have a couple of old X58 motherboard and CPUs laying around and was going to put one up for sale on craigslist, I went to ebay and was flabbergasted to see that people had bid an i7 950 / mobo up to $100+15 shipping, I see people asking $200 for combos. Cant you just go buy a bottom line AMD or Intel CPU and motherboard combo now that will perform close or better than that for barely any more?

I got a X5660 for $19 shipped. You're really not going to beat that price for what you're getting.

You just have to make sure that your board supports Xeons.

Interesting I personally don't want to do this, maybe if no one buys on CL I will just sell the motherboards all by themselves on ebay and pitch the rest. Old CPUs certainly have lots of life but the problem is they don't have NVME slots which is where the big gains are to me or other recent advancements, and since spectre / meltdown I am just going to ride it out till the fixes come in. Looks like both my motherboards support the xeon chips.

I have a X58 Sabertooth. I got a NVMe Samsung 950 Pro to work on it using an adapter card. USB 3.0 via adapter card. The biggest downsides are the lack of SATA3 and PCIe 3.0, but nothing was really a deal killer for general desktop use.

My 2010 Mac Pro lives on due to the great X58 longevity. I have a 6 core 3.33GHz CPU in there and with the addition of modern Bluetooth, modern WiFi, and some SSD's on PCIE cards.. it's still a pretty damn good box.

I have a X58 Sabertooth. I got a NVMe Samsung 950 Pro to work on it using an adapter card. USB 3.0 via adapter card. The biggest downsides are the lack of SATA3 and PCIe 3.0, but nothing was really a deal killer for general desktop use.
The Sabertooth X58 board comes with native USB 3.0 aznd SATA 3 already. PCI-E 3 is not necessary at all and yes you can use NVME drives on this board with the adapter.

The Sabertooth X58 board comes with native USB 3.0 aznd SATA 3 already. PCI-E 3 is not necessary at all and yes you can use NVME drives on this board with the adapter.

You are right. But it is a terrible controller and you actually get faster speed from the SATA 2 intel controller. Also the USB 3 controller does not have a onboard header for front ports. That's why I added the card. I got about 1400 MB/s read speeds on the adapter with the 950 pro due to it running into the limit of PCIe 2.

Still have an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, i7-920 and 6x1GB 1600 in my drawer..JUST IN CASE.

And yes, I checked the the ebay prices a few days ago too and was astonished for how much I could sell this combo, not under 150€. Amazing value over time

The fastest chips are still really expensive due to the amount of workstation turned gamers still built on the platform... HP Z400/800 and Dell Tx500 series are great except they lack OC ability. With a decent GPU, they just rock still and cost under $200 most of the time with decent processor and ram..

Still have an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, i7-920 and 6x1GB 1600 in my drawer..JUST IN CASE.

And yes, I checked the the ebay prices a few days ago too and was astonished for how much I could sell this combo, not under 150€. Amazing value over time
X58 arrived at a crucial time where it was able to usher in some key features such as USB 3.0, SATA 3, Triple Channel Memory, and actually effective and efficient Hyper Threading.

I strongly believe it was the biggest generational leap forward we've seen in just over a decade.

Back