• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why are mouse wheels set upside down?

hedron

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
495
I have a razor naga and I have changed the mouse wheel to scroll up when I rotate the mouse wheel upwards and scroll down when I rotate the wheel downwards. Much the same way as iPad's scrolling works. I'm curious if there's any rhyme or reason for the default setting? Was the original mouse wheel designer dyslexic? Or what?
 
I have a razor naga and I have changed the mouse wheel to scroll up when I rotate the mouse wheel upwards and scroll down when I rotate the wheel downwards. Much the same way as iPad's scrolling works. I'm curious if there's any rhyme or reason for the default setting? Was the original mouse wheel designer dyslexic? Or what?

Because you aren't pretending to drag something with the wheel. Down is down and up is up, it makes perfect sense.
 
Hey everyone, Apple just found out about this great new invention called the mouse wheel. Why are PC mouse wheels backwards :rolleyes:
 
I have a razor naga and I have changed the mouse wheel to scroll up when I rotate the mouse wheel upwards and scroll down when I rotate the wheel downwards. Much the same way as iPad's scrolling works. I'm curious if there's any rhyme or reason for the default setting? Was the original mouse wheel designer dyslexic? Or what?

Can you explain the bolded part a little better? Because how I'm seeing it is how every wheel mouse I've ever use behaves.
 
I'm the backwards man, the backwards man. I can walk backwards as fast as you can.
 
When you move the wheel down...the page goes down.
When you move the wheel up...the page goes up.

Thats normal mouse operation...:p
 
In the context of space there is no up or down.

A normal mouse sits planar to the table or surface on which your computer and/or monitor reside. In reference to the plan rolling the mouse wheel tangentially away or forward should translate to scrolling up, backward (or the reverse direction) should translate to scrolling down in the "normal" configuration.
 
In the context of space there is no up or down.

A normal mouse sits planar to the table or surface on which your computer and/or monitor reside. In reference to the plan rolling the mouse wheel tangentially away or forward should translate to scrolling up, backward (or the reverse direction) should translate to scrolling down in the "normal" configuration.

When you're at a table writing on a sheet of paper, there's a top of the page and bottom of the page. Generally to reach the top of something you move up, and to reach the bottom, down. So context dictates that an up direction is away from the operator, and a down direction is toward the operator.
 
When you move the wheel down...the page goes down.
When you move the wheel up...the page goes up.

Thats normal mouse operation...:p

Yeah I'm confused. If you hold your mouse up to your screen, down is down and up is up. I have no idea what's going on in this thread.
 
I always thought of it in the following context:

"iPad style" scrolling makes sense in a touch based scenario (swipe down to scroll up) because you are moving the surface to reveal more. IMHO it works here because there is no abstraction, and you directly drag the viewable area around with your finger.

However, for mouse scrolling I always think of it as controlling the scroll bar. Therefore, scrolling "down" on the mouse wheel moves the position indicator on the scroll bar down, showing content lower on the page.

This is why I feel Apple's implementation of scrolling in Lion is backwards. Because the scrolling function of the mouse in my mind is controlling the position of the scroll bar, and not the items on the page. Since Apple also removes the scroll bar by default in Lion, it makes some kind of sense to have it work like this, because as you cannot see a scroll bar at all times, you are supposed to think of it more like moving the items on the page (back to "iPad style" direct navigation). However, I always keep the scroll bar visible on my setup because it tells me information I want to know (how much scroll there is relative to what I see on the screen).
 
The iPad/iPhone has both types of navigation. I will use the terms dragging and scrolling.
Dragging - tap and holding a page and moving it up or down
Scrolling - sliding on the right edge of the screen

Yes, the motion with your finger is opposite in one or the other.

This isn't unique to iOS. Adobe Reader has dragging with the hand tool, and a scroll bar.

The mouse wheel is sometimes called a scroll wheel. The proper use is to scroll, where your finger moves in the direction of where you want to view.
 
When you move around a web site on a touch centric device you're not so much scrolling as panning... Apple just reversed scrolling directions on Lion because their biggest sellers are laptops and a touchpad feels more like a touchscreen than a mouse or scrolling wheel (plus they're going for a more seamless transition form mobile devices to OS X, hence all the other stuff cribbed from iOS unto OS X). Still seems ass backwards to me but whatever.
 
Still seems ass backwards to me but whatever.

Its backwards to you, as well as anyone that's used a computer in the last 10-17 years. Scrolling has always (in my experience) worked this way. Move finger toward you to go down, move away to go up.

I can't accurately remember computing before I was 4, so someone else would have to speak to that.
 
Its backwards to you, as well as anyone that's used a computer in the last 10-17 years. Scrolling has always (in my experience) worked this way. Move finger toward you to go down, move away to go up.

I can't accurately remember computing before I was 4, so someone else would have to speak to that.

I can't recall exactly when I first encountered scroll wheels on mice, but it always made sense to me. You scroll down (towards yourself) to move the page down the same way you'd drag the scrollbar with your mouse cursor (towards yourself).

I can understand the point about Apple wanting a similar experience on Lion as with iOS, but even in the context of Lion it doesn't make much sense. You move your finger downwards on your touchpad to move your cursor to the bottom of the screen, but you double swipe (or however Apple distinguishes the scrolling function) downwards to scroll your... page.. towards.. the top of your screen? lol?
 
Welcome to the generation raised entirely on iPads and iPhones. If it doesnt work like an iPhone, its doing it wrong.
 
Imagine your scroll wheel like a car tire rolling across your monitor. You roll it forward, and it goes up the page/screen. Roll it backward, it goes down the page/screen. It's a logical choice.
The Apple logic is hilarious.
 
Didn't the scroll wheel come from the typewriter where there was a wheel of some sort on the side that you would move down and the bottom of that wheel would push the paper up to make you scroll down the page. I think that's where the scroll down to go down comes from and it makes sense.
 
Can you explain the bolded part a little better? Because how I'm seeing it is how every wheel mouse I've ever use behaves.

I was confused at first, but then I scrolled my finger on my ipad and the page goes up vs down on a PC.
 
a friend of mine uses the mouse backwards.
I have no idea why he uses it like that, freaked me out when I noticed that he was rotating the mouse 180* when I gave it to him.
Up is Down, Left is Right, etc..
 
I don't see how they are backwards. You scroll down (the part of the wheel that you see is going towards you) and the page scrolls down. I guess you could argue that because the mouse is rounded and the scroll is at the end that's rounded down, so scrolling down is actually going up? Never seen it that way.

If apple finaly came up with it and did it the other way, then THEY did it wrong and are trying to make people think it's the right way because they seem to have that ability. They will now lead fanboys astray as usual into thinking what they invented is the first of it's kind and the only way to do it.
 
a friend of mine uses the mouse backwards.
I have no idea why he uses it like that, freaked me out when I noticed that he was rotating the mouse 180* when I gave it to him.
Up is Down, Left is Right, etc..

lol that's awesome. I tried to do it, takes mad skillz. :p
 
Back
Top