Why are Dell monitors so expensive?

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm sure their screens I made where everybody else has theirs made - why have they ALWAYS had such a price premium for comparable products? That's the only thing that has kept me away.

Quality. Lasts long. Just my opinion. I paid a hefty premium for a high quality Dell 24" monitor on credit, it was worth the price. You get what you pay for, IMO.

How is it higher quality?
I can only imagine they use all the same components as everyone else. Are there breakdowns for high end monitors like some sites have for cell phones where they review the internal components?

Dell monitors are expensive? I always considered them middle of the road in regard to most prices. And they make cheapo TN panels, as well as their S series, which is relatively cheap.

And Dell + high quality aren't really terms that go together.

^^ exactly, what models are you looking at and comparing to others?

Post some examples..

And yes Dell and quality does go together,lets get off the hate dell band wagon.... like any company you buy their low end $500 sub products = crap

get into their higher end lines up and business products and they are rock solid.

I don't see them as especially expensive. Dell has good support and warranty and many of the popular models have good adjustments and panels in them. The Dell website has high prices, but usually they're sold a lot cheaper by retailers, and I think Dell gives special offers for businesses.

Dell's are expensive because dell has a great warranty and return policy, abused by people with the vain hope that asking for 5 replacements is a good way to solve backlight bleeding on 27"+ screens.

I'm sure their screens I made where everybody else has theirs made - why have they ALWAYS had such a price premium for comparable products? That's the only thing that has kept me away.

Don't compare TN to IPS. Don't compare eIPS to IPS. If you compare similar products you will end up with similar prices.

What are these "comparable products".

I just wish that Dell would spend more on quality assurance.
Most high-end monitors that I bought from Dell (2407WFP-WC, u3014) turned out to be plagued with issues that were eventually resolved through firmware updates.

Early adaptor trouble that is.

Except with the 2407... that kept lagging.

Oops... didn't realize I was responding to something 10 months old.

Last edited:
i have original dell 24 inch flat screen, still going strong. Usually their higher end monitors do have really good quality and last a long long time, their warranties are pretty good to.

Dells are good mointors and worth money.. but there are also lots of higher quality monitor companies. i.e. NEC which are more for people who need better color-ing like photographers and graphic artists..

I bought a 2407WFP V03 in 2006, drove from DC to Oklahoma 5 times with it in a souped up 1999 Trans AM. I also lugged it to many lan parties as well. I don't just use my monitor, I use the fuck out of it. I would probably guess that monitor had 80%+ on time as I leave them on with movies or games on them from the time I come home till the time I leave in the morning.

Most recently I had been sick so it had spent ~160hrs on straight then the local power went out. I had it on UPS so after about 30min I had to turn it and my computer off. 4 hours later power comes back on. I let the UPS charge for about an hour before turning everything back on. Monitor no longer works, the computer can sense the dvi cable being plugged in but when I push the power button on the monitor nothing, no lights, no sound from it. It does have the button issue but masking tape ensures the button is in the correct spot.

When I bought it I was a little afraid of spending ~600 on it, but 7.5 years and not a single fucking dead pixel and great picture quality that impressed everyone who looked it... It was well worth the money to me

Now I have a Planar PX 2710MW and its quality is a piece of shit in comparison to Dell. If the Planar wouldn't have been free I would have dropped it out the window

The answers above get partial credit at best.

Dell monitors are expensive because people are, for the most part, willing to pay those prices. It's simply capitalism at work. However, the answers above tend to explain why SOME people are willing to pay those prices. Many pay them because they don't know better. Dell is a very well-known name. And they have a huge selection for monitors often with multiple monitors at each size with different pricepoints etc. Probably the best selection in the industry. Draws people to the brand, which makes them a dominant player, and they can price themselves as the dominant player.

To a degree, some people also associate quality with price. i.e. Dell's monitors, being more expensive than many, must be good. It is to a slight degree cyclical.

A lot of it is simply brand clout and advertising and the fact that most people probably use Dell stuff at work. Automatic sale. They've probably owned Dells in the past, anyway.

Last edited:
why are dells so expensive?
the best! the u2413 is one of the best monitors there are imo. like it got a 10bit panel.

I've owned a number of IPS screens, and my Dell is the only one without backlight bleeding or horrible glow.

My 2005 and 2007FPW monitors are still going strong. I did not especially want to pay as much as I did for them but in the shopping around I could not find one that was as aesthetically pleasing for me or had better features, display, panel, connections or configuration options (pan, tilt, pedestal etc).

My current 2412 monitor's were a bit of step down panel wise but I saved some good money and was able to pick up 3 at a reasonable price with a sale and a coupon and LED's are nice in the long run. Again, I shopped around but for the same reasons above could not settle on anything "better" at the same price point or quality level.

I dont think any manufacturer is perfect but I have had good luck with the number Dell monitor's I own or work with. I wont knock any other brand but they have not been for me. Next time around who knows.

I love my U2713HM and it wasn't much more expensive than other same sized ones.

Hey I bought a Dell flat panel Ultra Sharp back in 2005 NEVER AGAIN!!!

That monitors just totally baked anything I thought my eyeballs and brains had....

I haven't tired a new Dell

but I'll stick to asus for now on just because back then they obviously didn't know what they were doing.

Two of three Catleaps I had failed and the seller refused to replace the PCB.
I never had any of my Dell monitors fail, U2211 x3, U2410 x3, S2340 x3, U2711 x8, 3007, U3011.

Different brands have different pcbs.
I can give two thumbs up for Crossover.

Still sucks though, man :(

Back