WHS v2 Codename Vail

ooh, I just read about some slick silverlight-based remote media streaming here

I must know more about that.....it alone would make the update worthwhile to me

Yea i havent seen one yet.

@Bacon.....what build version are you using?

7600 its the only build I have found, thou I haven't really looked for others. Really liking WHS2 I never took the chance to play around with WHS so I can't compare them.

ooh, I just read about some slick silverlight-based remote media streaming here

I must know more about that.....it alone would make the update worthwhile to me

It is nice. If I had the bandwidth I would set up a test file and post the url so you guys could see.

Last edited:
Are you able to set up and iSCSI target and use that as a backup target? That was my main issue with the current WHS, something with the drive manager not being able to utilize iSCSI targets in any way. My plan was to have WHS for shares and client backups, and do incremental backups to another server (NAS/*nix/etc) over iSCSI, but it was not possible.

7600 its the only build I have found, thou I haven't really looked for others. Really liking WHS2 I never took the chance to play around with WHS so I can't compare them.

It is nice. If I had the bandwidth I would set up a test file and post the url so you guys could see.
oh :(

c'mon. :)

In other news. Does anybody have a suggestion what I should -ahem- Google for if I should desire to -ahem- test WHS2?

Edit 2: Are you really using build 7600 or is it 7630? I've also seen results for 7360....which is the latest?

Last edited:
ok I found the ISO for build 7360

Did you guys use a key? If so, where did you get it?

Other than 64 bit support and a UI overhaul, I'm struggling to see any improvements coming from WHS 2k3

To answer your question, for me, this........

If video/blu ray playback is as I expect it to be I will use it and replace both my current server and HTPC consolidating it all in my planned build.

.....is my very large reason for upgrading. I really want to switch to a laptop for my day to day stuff, but still need a HTPC for reasonable converting material, playing it, etc. In short, 95% of the time...WHS will be WHS. But for that other 5% of the time I want it to be my HTPC. Why should have I have to build a whole different box for something with low utilization? Right now Sage's plugin for WHS already allowed to collapse two servers into one. this will just allow me even tighter integration. The server will be my i5 box and I can switch to a reasonably powered laptop.

What exactly are you hoping for?

Media center integration?

What exactly are you hoping for?

Media center integration?

I can't tell if you are being an ass or not since tone doesn't come across well with terse posts. Care to elaborate what you don't understand about my post. I believe I fairly well stated I wanted it to be my HTPC the other 5% of the time. I never stated a specific platform, thus that should indicate it is negotiable. Right now WHS based upon current platform does not have "strong hooks" for media playback for anything "modern".

nope not trying to be an ass.

i just dont understand why a person couldnt install the same apps for htpc use on WHS1 as you are hoping for in WHS2.

is there some limitation within whs1 that would prevent installing powerdvd for example?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

nope not trying to be an ass.

i just dont understand why a person couldnt install the same apps for htpc use on WHS1 as you are hoping for in WHS2.

is there some limitation within whs1 that would prevent installing powerdvd for example?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

ahh....kk. WHS is based upon server 2003. While a lot of XP drivers "did" work with it, many of the other drivers didn't. For example, if I tried to use MPC with my optical out, it would be instant death of the server (auto crash and reboot). Just a lot of things were "flakey" unfortunately. With it being on server 2008 (and thus a more modern OS kernal), it should be possible to do a few more things "hopefully". Even being able to run a SageTV client would be a huge step in a very good direction for me.

Can anyone test if demigrator.exe (drive extender) is still hammering I/O every hour while streaming media, or did they fix the resource priority while drive is being used?

Thanks for the info. I will be moving to Win7 w/ Flexraid-View for my Video/Audio library.
WHS will be used with my Atom setup for backups..

has anybody found a way to make the photo gallery publicly accessible without a username & pw?

Thanks for posting the pics and supplying the info.

Does V2 provide a better drive balancing system than WHS1? WHS1 filled up one drive before filling up the next drive which is very poor (from a hardware perspective). Have you seen if this improves upon that aspect?

It's also sad to hear that there are no changes seen yet regarding the demigrator service and it taking up so much HDD usage every hour.

Thanks for posting the pics and supplying the info.

Does V2 provide a better drive balancing system than WHS1? WHS1 filled up one drive before filling up the next drive which is very poor (from a hardware perspective). Have you seen if this improves upon that aspect?

It's also sad to hear that there are no changes seen yet regarding the demigrator service and it taking up so much HDD usage every hour.

WHSv1 PP3 changed the drive selection algorithm such that the drive with the most available space is used. As for the demigrator issues, I personally have not noticed this with WHS. I've never had a streaming movie stutter or anything that would lead me to believe the drive balancing is hitting the CPU or the drive system too hard.

Whats wrong with filling up one drive before moving on the next? Never cause any issues here.

Also its hard say anything about the demigrator service. Most of those people that are affected were running Green Drives, which are 25% slower by spec.
People running 7200 rpm drives or RAID dont have demigrator issues because they can sustain higher IOPS than those running just GP drives.

My guess would be that if you had demigrator issues before you are still going to have them.

My suggestion would be to schedule the demigrator service to run at night.

Whats wrong with filling up one drive before moving on the next? Never cause any issues here.

Three reasons.

1. People always feel that the drive with the most data is most likely to fail even if the odds, in effect, are pretty much the same.

2. The irrational anger that happens if that drives fails. This is no different than if a plane crashes and 200 people die once a year versus 200 people dieing each day in numerous auto accidents and the headlines it generates.

3. It doesn't look pretty. They see this red bar that sticks out compared to the others. They want them all even so it looks even.

Three reasons.

1. People always feel that the drive with the most data is most likely to fail even if the odds, in effect, are pretty much the same.

On the flip side it's slightly more time intensive to restore the amount of data on a full drive rather than a small portion of a drive. Personally, it doesn't bug me at all.

RC is finally out and available to the public at connect. Don't know what the build number is yet, gonna install Monday when my 2 tb drive comes in.

Probably pretty stupid but the new file system is more than likely a deal killer for me.

One of the main attractions was the NTFS file system.

Without that I might as well go somewhere else.

What was the benefit of NTFS?

With the current WHS you could pull out a data pool disk and stick it in another computer and read the contents.

With the new FS it is a proprietary format and you data is unusable without Vail.

yes but supposedly you can rip a Vail hard drive straight out of the storage pool and stick it into another storage pool with all your data being intact. No more migrating.

I think I will gladly make that tradeoff.

Sure, it was nice to know if my WHS blew up, I could pull the contents off using a desktop PC, but I've done WHS disaster recovery twice, and migrating data from the old broken drives to a new useable WHS was a PITA.

yes but supposedly you can rip a Vail hard drive straight out of the storage pool and stick it into another storage pool with all your data being intact. No more migrating.

I think I will gladly make that tradeoff.

Different strokes for different folks.

Mouse support in hyper-v through a remote desktop works right off the bat... Didn't expect that.

I haven't been watch, but is there any more public beta releases or is there an ETA on this.

Rumor is that a new release will be made for the public Beta this week or next. You might want to wait and watch for a couple of days before downloading it.

Back