WHS V1 Duplication issues (ie: it doesn't)

Spidey329

[H]F Junkie
Anyone run into this before? I have just installed (about a week ago) a copy of WHS V1 PP1 on my server box. Everything went smooth and got all setup. It's all running good. Except that duplication never takes place, demigrator.exe does nothing but take 12megs of RAM (no CPU time). I've toggled "Duplication" on and off for various shares, no luck. Last balancing was 4 days ago.

Specs:
AMD / A780 Motherboard & CPU
Mobo configured for RAID (for future usage, so I don't have to OS reinstall)
4gigs of RAM
Currently two additional (besides OS) HD's in Pool (a few pending, if I get the duplicating working)
1.5TB Seagate
1.0TB WD Green (EACS)

Thoughts?

Anyone run into this before? I have just installed (about a week ago) a copy of WHS V1 PP1 on my server box. Everything went smooth and got all setup. It's all running good. Except that duplication never takes place, demigrator.exe does nothing but take 12megs of RAM (no CPU time).

I must be missing it here.

I've never seen a dedicated duplicated folder but that doesn't mean the files weren't duplicated.

Do you think there should be an indication that something has been duplicated?

If so, you're SOL AFAIK.

In the WHS Console, under the "Server Storage" tab, in that pie chart, does it not report duplications for you?

I must be missing it here.

If so, you're SOL AFAIK.

Erm, not really. You can see it under the Server Storage, it says "Duplication" and shows how much data is duplicated. There's also the Add-In "Duplication Info" which will tell you exactly where the file is duplicated (if it is).

In the WHS Console, under the "Server Storage" tab, in that pie chart, does it not report duplications for you?

Always shows 900megs. Which is lacking, considering I have 1TB of data. ;)

Erm, not really. You can see it under the Server Storage, it says "Duplication" and shows how much data is duplicated. There's also the Add-In "Duplication Info" which will tell you exactly where the file is duplicated (if it is).
I'm gonna hafta try it.

I removed duplication when my data got too large but that was before the update.

Let me check it out.

Yep, there it is.

Duplication is indicated under server storage.

Thanks again Spidey & Daniel! I love learning something new

PSSS...My duplication space is exactly the same as the file being duplicated.

Last edited:
Yep, there it is.

Duplication is indicated under server storage.

Thanks again Spidey & Daniel! I love learning something new

PSSS...My duplication space is exactly the same as the file being duplicated.

It should be. My issue is that it isn't duplicating.

I did some more testing, I turned off all duplication - turned it on for "Public" and then copied a 2.3GB movie file there. It duplicated instantly. So the issue seems to be that the demigrator isn't duplicating files that pre-exist turning on "Duplication". So to get it to work, I have to move the files out and back in. Lol.

*EDIT*
Scratch that. I just checked again and it just removed the duplicated file on its own. Somethings screwy in Denmark.

It should be. My issue is that it isn't duplicating.

I did some more testing, I turned off all duplication - turned it on for "Public" and then copied a 2.3GB movie file there. It duplicated instantly. So the issue seems to be that the demigrator isn't duplicating files that pre-exist turning on "Duplication". So to get it to work, I have to move the files out and back in. Lol.

*EDIT*
Scratch that. I just checked again and it just removed the duplicated file on its own. Somethings screwy in Denmark.

First thing I would do is update to PP3 It really make a diference in stability. Second, when turning on duplication for a folder that has data in it, it may take a while for it to actually get duplicated. Try leaving it over night and check it in the am.

Richard

Scratch that. I just checked again and it just removed the duplicated file on its own.
Uh Oh....WHS eats it's offspring.

That's a bad sign. :D

Even though I use it I'm not a major fan of WHS but I've never heard of the problem you're having.

I'm hoping it's an easy fix but I'll bet Denmark would take offense with being lumped together with MS....especially WHS. LOL! :D

Back