WHS and Folding - Let's hear your thoughts

HighYield

Gawd
WHS has been out for a while. If you have been folding on it, how do you like it? Was it easy to set up? What's your configuration like? In terms of data storage do you think its better not to mix in folding and just go with a dedicated box?

It depends on what you want.

I have 5 TB drives (soon to be 6), Everything is duplicated, Right now I have an opend PCIe slot. In a different build that was the WHS I had 2x 9800GT cards and never had an issue.

Stable as a rock, never had a problem with folding getting in the way with the WHS duties, I could see VMs getting in the way..... mostly easting up to much RAM/CPU.

You don't need much to run WHS. I ran it for quite a while on with a celeron D chip with the 2x 9800GT cards. Everything was happy.

I do it.

Its just the same config as an XP machine.

It just has a lot of HDDs

I haven't had any problems with my WHS + 9800GX2 other than PSU problems, which are OS-independent. I'm running a single SMP client on the E6850 in addition to the two GPU clients with 2GB of RAM in the box.

I figure I want to leave the WHS on 24/7 anyway, so I might as well jam a GPU in there and fold

I bought WHS about 6 months ago and haven't even broken the seal on the box. Guess after reading this thread I ought to break down and get a home server worked back up so I can set up another SMP. :cool:

It depends on what you want.

I have 5 TB drives (soon to be 6), Everything is duplicated, Right now I have an opend PCIe slot. In a different build that was the WHS I had 2x 9800GT cards and never had an issue.

Stable as a rock, never had a problem with folding getting in the way with the WHS duties, I could see VMs getting in the way..... mostly easting up to much RAM/CPU.

You don't need much to run WHS. I ran it for quite a while on with a celeron D chip with the 2x 9800GT cards. Everything was happy.

What drivers did you use? I thought Nvidia didn't make Server 2003 drivers.

Back