Who's making moves to get ready for the new release of cards?

First, I agree 1080TI has the longest legs of any video card ever made. A big performance bump for pascal cards at launch, a longer than normal release cycle, and the Turing cards did not move the needle that much for performance the next gen (opting for RTX addition over sheer rasterization performance increases). The 1080TI still hold their own in game performance, and what other card has such little resale value lost after four whole years. You could buy them for $700 at launch and 4 years later you can still sell for $450. Insane.

——— as to selling my 2080.

My experience on eBay is that prices of old cards don’t drop until a couple weeks after new cards are released.

I was originally thinking I’d sell my 2080 before the prices dropped and second gen RTX curb stomped first gen RTX performance.

BUT, now that I’ve had the card a year I think I’ve changed my mind.
I got a great price on my 2080 brand new from a member here. I expect the new 3xxx cards to go up in price for MSRP, not down. Nvidia has said outright they want to raise the prices in the luxury gaming marker sector to which they single handily cater. They think the prices are too cheap and there is more money to be had. (Top tier computer gaming is a comparatively cheap hobby - in what other hobby can you get the best of the best gear available for $1200? - None. Nvidia knows this, that’s why they are raising the bar)

That concept of customers willing to pay more proved true with 2080ti, and it’ll prove true with the $1500 3080ti. The next 4xxx card will probably be $1800. I’ve been saying $1500 for 3080ti a long time. Figure ~$1000 range for the 3080.

At those price point estimations...

The 2080 does everything I need at 3440x1440 with GSync. Nothing below mins of 60FPS now, and GSync gives me comfortable smooth feeling headroom to 40 FPS easy. That ought to easily cover next gen game engine minimums.

I’m not too impressed with RTX to put it bluntly. Every game I’ve tried with RTX also looks great without it. So better RTX performance isn’t a strong driver to me either. Since I have all the performance I need and don’t care too much about RTX AND I expect used value to remain pretty solid for yet another generation or two because of the uptick in pricing on future cards. I’m feeling like I might stick where I am for another generation.

What would cause me to upgrade is HDMI 2.1 on a decent projector for my home theater (there are NONE) and needing HDMI 2.1 on my video card to match for VRR. I just picked up a 2020 Denon AVR, the x6700h so I’ve got HDMI 2.1 on the AVR at the ready for 4K 120Hz VRR. I just don’t have the capability for that at either other end. I suspect it’ll be two years before the projector manufacturers introduce HDMI 2.1 in full. They always seem one or two generations behind TV tech.

Last edited:
Using retail prices is exactly a thing, it's how much YOU paid for the transistors and it was what he used as his example to prove his point, which was completely incorrect as he had the # of transistors completely wrong for the 3700x making it look worse that it actually was.

I don’t know what point he was making but you can’t make any conclusions about wafer costs based on retail pricing.

I don’t know what point he was making but you can’t make any conclusions about wafer costs based on retail pricing.
My point was, even his flawed logic of basing his conclusion on cost using retail price had the completely wrong conclusion based on the facts :). It was a double flawed argument.

i'm not making any moves, but I am eager to replace my 1080ti. I got in close to launch and it has been well lived. I don't know if best ever, but certainly up there with some of my other favorite card purchases; original GeForce, 9700 pro, 8800gtx, gtx 280..... I think I got 2-3 years out of each of those with only grossly overpriced cards beating them - same as now.

in regards to pricing of the new series, unfortunately, i agree with a lot of what Archaea said. In early '19, I would have thought different. Jensen was on investor calls saying he was surprised the 2xxx series wasn't selling better and the stock was hurting a bit - I think we were in for cheaper cards. Fast forward to COVID and the 2xxx series selling more due to an influx of streamers using the updated NVENC and more people needing to update to play games and the stock has exploded. Given where they sit today, I would say get out the vaseline. It' s going to hurt. I would speculate the 8gb card to be 2080ti level performance for roughly 800.00. I would guess the two cards above that to carry an extreme luxury tax.

as a competitive gamer at 1440p - 60-80fps is starting to feel long in the tooth.... We'll see what happens. I hope I am wrong and we get really nice value due to AMD competitive pressure, but I'll believe it when I see it.

nvidia history.JPG

Reactions: MrC4
like this
i'm not making any moves, but I am eager to replace my 1080ti. I got in close to launch and it has been well lived. I don't know if best ever, but certainly up there with some of my other favorite card purchases; original GeForce, 9700 pro, 8800gtx, gtx 280..... I think I got 2-3 years out of each of those with only grossly overpriced cards beating them - same as now.

in regards to pricing of the new series, unfortunately, i agree with a lot of what Archaea said. In early '19, I would have thought different. Jensen was on investor calls saying he was surprised the 2xxx series wasn't selling better and the stock was hurting a bit - I think we were in for cheaper cards. Fast forward to COVID and the 2xxx series selling more due to an influx of streamers using the updated NVENC and more people needing to update to play games and the stock has exploded. Given where they sit today, I would say get out the vaseline. It' s going to hurt. I would speculate the 8gb card to be 2080ti level performance for roughly 800.00. I would guess the two cards above that to carry an extreme luxury tax.

as a competitive gamer at 1440p - 60-80fps is starting to feel long in the tooth.... We'll see what happens. I hope I am wrong and we get really nice value due to AMD competitive pressure, but I'll believe it when I see it.

View attachment 260716

Line that up with supercomputer releases/announcements; I suspect a huge part of it is some of the datacenter releases too, more than the consumer. Could be wrong, but call it a suspicion. Or their AI work.

Line that up with supercomputer releases/announcements; I suspect a huge part of it is some of the datacenter releases too, more than the consumer. Could be wrong, but call it a suspicion. Or their AI work.

i don't disagree at all. my point was don't expect suddenly more affordable cards from nvidia given the current market status and no threat at the high end.

I upgraded to a FreeSync monitor, in anticipation of AMD coming out with something good.

I've got my pennies saved for big Navi. Probably going to give my RX 580 to my kid's friend. Not much resale value in it as it has been physically chopped up to fit in a mITX case. He's a good kid and would be very thankful.

I've thought of doing something similar. My oldest will be 7 this fall. I'm oscillating between building him a rig or holding off a couple years yet.

My Kid, who is almost 2, keeps taking my gaming laptop. I gave him a fisher price or something laptop instead, but Noooooo...he wants mine. He already knows how to mouse look in FPS games.

I want to see what the new line of cards offer before I throw the towel in on my 2080Ti. I don't want to pay the "Founder's Club" bullshit tax anyways.

In order for the upper floor not to collapse I put some 500 sheets of old comic book drawing paper in the basement then giving my Raidmax tower from 2002 to goodwill it might be worth it to someone. Cleaning house makes people feel cleansed it's what I do for a living. Organization is the key to happiness.

Would like to upgrade to Z490 motherboard and Intel CPU but not sure if it's worth it when a GPU upgrade would make everything new again.

Not moving a dang thing until I see if it is a good upgrade value or not.

I'm weird this way, but I wait to start overclocking parts until the Next Thing is out. If I look at the perf/$ of the new hotness and feel it doesn't spark joy, I start pushing the stuff I have harder. Still feels like an upgrade, and if it melts to slag, then well, I can upgrade!

I'm pretty happy with my eVGA 2080 super. If I sell it, it would be listed here. It depends on how the new cards do. I'd say it's less than 50-50 that I'll sell it this year though. The 2080 super has done everything I've needed thus far at 1440p.

Here,

Running an i5-8600 and a RX580. Been wanting to build a new rig but will hold out till end of year for the new AMD CPU's and see what NVIDIA drops for cards as well..its nice to be able to wait.

Sell `em, boys and girls!

Problem is unless you have a backup GPU, you have to buy a backup card now that probably won't have much resale value later either. In fact the hit you take on 2080ti resale value from Ampere launch is probably the same as what you have to dish out to buy a replacment GPU now.

The way I see it after tax you basically have to spend 300 or so on a 1070/2060 class card if you want even passable gaming perf until ampere launches. You can probably still get 550 or 600 for a 2080 ti after ampere launch anyway.

LOL Nvidia telling folks there will be a mining craze :ROFLMAO: . Sell that over inflated stock fast. A 2080Ti makes a whopping $1.39 a day, highest coin if your electricity cost is 10cents/kw. It would take, hmmm at that rate over 1000 days. The more you buy the cheaper they are. Well if AMD hits hard on Nvidia gaming market, I would predict their over inflated stock will adjust down. Except their HPC side will probably skyrocket at the same time.

Ah, Youtube... 20 minutes of talk for 3 minutes of regurgitated content.

I have no clue where he's pulling $800 for a 3080. If it's 10-15% faster than a 2080 ti, it's gonna cost more than that sine dubio. And no way in holy hell are we getting 2080 Ti performance for $600 in September with a 3070 Ti -- that will happen maybe in mid-2021. This guy is extraordinarily optimistic on pricing (prime exhibit/reminder of how people get wildly hopeful near card releases).

Of course nVidia is going to be pumping a mining surge. Historically speaking, mining is their Britannica ("mine" pun intended).

I don't know why but my gut is telling me we are going to see another increase in price from both AMD and Nvidia. I don't see 2080ti performance dropping below $800 really and even then it will mostlikely be within 5%. Im hoping RTX performance sees a real jump and hdmi 2.1 or dp 2.0.

I don't know why but my gut is telling me we are going to see another increase in price from both AMD and Nvidia. I don't see 2080ti performance dropping below $800 really and even then it will mostlikely be within 5%. Im hoping RTX performance sees a real jump and hdmi 2.1 or dp 2.0.

Strongly concur here: no way nVidia is relenting on pricing. I'm betting $800 in Sept may get you within 10% performance of 2080 Ti, but definitely not above.

The only way we'd see 2080 Ti performance for $800 in September is if RDNA 2 creams current price/performance levels at the high end. I'd love for this to happen, however, it's highly improbable as AMD has as much motivation to keep GPU price rolling upward as nVidia.

The other moderately optimistic scenario is nVidia releases Ampere at semi-ludicrous prices in September to capitalize on early adopters, then they need to adjust price downwards (and/or release lower-priced 1060/70 Ti cards) a few months later once a competitively-priced RDNA 2 enters the channel. This is what they've done a few times before.

Highest probable scenario is high prices across the board.

If the 3080 ti is 40+% faster than my 2080 ti at 1080p I’ll probably buy it unless they raise prices again.

So what has you focusing on 1080p performance?

I’m an FPS player that uses a 240 Hz Zowie display at 1080p. For me nothing is more important than raw performance. I couldn’t give two shits about things like RT or DLSS since neither one of those is meant for competitive FPS games.

I'm upgrading my 24" Dell 60Hz 1080p monitor to an Ultrawide 38" 144Hz 1600p monitor. I'll just have to deal with the pain of using a GTX970 to drive it until Nvidia/AMD can deliver the goods.

Reactions: noko
like this
GPUs are all about the Buzz more frames per second The monitor is where the magic happens VA panels are god for your eyes. If you want to have a good PC experience turn off the PC stare at it for about 10 minutes knowing your hardware wont be outdated any time soon.

Honestly a GTX 970 won't cut it. It will be a big struggle, maybe wait until you get a new card.

Not at 1600p, unless you're playing older games e.g. Skyrim. I switched my Desktop card to my trusty old 780 ti (about the equivalent of a 970) last week after selling my 2080 Super. It surprisingly still chugs along in a lot of games at 1080p, but anything above is a near slide show. Funnily, my laptop GPU is about 2.5x faster than my desktop for the next few months.

No sense in upgrading to a 1600p monitor with a GTX 970 unless you're using it for productivity (1600p widescreen is a dream for work, in my experience)

Honestly a GTX 970 won't cut it. It will be a big struggle, maybe wait until you get a new card.
I agree. I probably won't be gaming for a bit. That's the painful part. I access work from this box as well so that will be nice.

Waiting for confirmation on RTX3000 series card lengths to buy a case. Currently restraining myself from clicking buy on Fractal Design Define C, because i want to make sure the new cards will fit (and not have to get the special version that is shorter). That would trigger the buying to begin for the new system.

Last edited:
Here's my move to prepare for the new generation:
Got an old Radeon 280x from a friend (last fall) & put it in the kids computer.

Recently my wife decided she wants to play Ark survival evolved with her sister. So I bought a used Ryzen 3600x, motherboard and built another computer. Took the 280x GPU from the kids computer and paired it with the 3600X. Then i put an old GeForce 8800 GT in the kids computer! Just for kicks, I decided to launch Ark on that i3-4160 with the 8800GT to see if it worked...

And it did! Had to turn everything to low settings and it looked like trash, but I'd guess it was around 20fps.

I'm delaying until the new Radeons come out. It was tempting to get the 5700XT for $360 though ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Mylex
like this
I sold my 1080 Ti locally for $450. I was waiting to find a good deal on a used video card before I sold it, and I did. I picked up a mint blower 5700 for $200. Contemplating flashing it to a 5700 XT, but for what I'm doing with it now (Rift S), it's actually holding up pretty well. I'm not able to crank up the super sampling like I did with the 1080 Ti, but it's barely noticeable. I figure in a few months I can probably get my money back out of it, so it will be a free rental.

I have an HP Reverb G2 on preorder, and preordered it as soon as it went live so I *should* be one of the first to get it. I've never dropped more than $500 on a video card, but I'm prepared to go over $1000 this time. Go big or go home, right?

I sold my 1080 Ti locally for $450. I was waiting to find a good deal on a used video card before I sold it, and I did. I picked up a mint blower 5700 for $200. Contemplating flashing it to a 5700 XT, but for what I'm doing with it now (Rift S), it's actually holding up pretty well. I'm not able to crank up the super sampling like I did with the 1080 Ti, but it's barely noticeable. I figure in a few months I can probably get my money back out of it, so it will be a free rental.

I have an HP Reverb G2 on preorder, and preordered it as soon as it went live so I *should* be one of the first to get it. I've never dropped more than $500 on a video card, but I'm prepared to go over $1000 this time. Go big or go home, right?
Right on. Sold my 1080 ti for $475 and just gonna hold of until I see prices on the 3000 series. I want something with 30% more power than 1080 ti but most importantly I finally want HDMI 2.1 4k@120hz goodness on my LG B9!

I actually still up in arms if I go Nvidia or AMD route. I have to wait for reviews. I remember all the issues of the 2080TI cards.

Back