Who else is getting the Droid X?

I'm surprised to see two people leaving iphone and getting an android phone, Seems nutty to me, but more power to you. AT&T is a certainly plenty of reason to leave.
I have an iPhone on T-mobile and I'm just waiting for the right phone before I switch....a 4G Sprint version of the Vibrant is on my wish list. I know a ton of people who are fed up with Apple phones and are going Android.

Interestingly enough, Slashgear's review of the Droid X says that it benchmarks as faster than the Galaxy S.
http://www.slashgear.com/droid-x-review-0793011/
We benchmarked the DROID X using Quadrant, which measures processor, memory, I/O and 2D/3D graphics and combines them into a single numerical score. In Battery Saver mode, the DROID X scored 819, in Performance mode it scored 1,204, and in Smart mode it scored 963. In contrast, the Samsung Galaxy S running Android 2.1 – using Samsung’s own 1GHz Hummingbird CPU – scored 874, while a Google Nexus One running Android 2.2 – using Qualcomm’s 1GHz Snapdragon – scored 1,434. Considering Android 2.2 significantly boosts performance in comparison to 2.1, we’ve high hopes for the DROID X when Motorola deliver the promised 2.2 upgrade later in 2010.

Which mode does the Galaxy S correspond to though?
Galaxy S doesn't have customizable power management software. It's "stuck" to one mode like the majority of phones out there. It probably dynamically adjusts according to need, and in the Quadrant benchmark, it's probably running at full blast.

I got to play with the X for about three hours the other day and I have to say..I liked it, but I didnt love it. I have a Nexus One, Froyo,which of course has a smaller screen than the X, but I came away liking my N1 better. I like the feel of the N1 better...the X had this cheap plastic feel to it...certainly not the build of the N1 or the new Iphone (just saying). If my friends at Moto want to give me one for free I would take it, but Im not paying to upgrade to it.

I've never liked cases, it's like you spend all this money to get a thin beautiful phone and then you're just gonna cover it up with some ugly piece of plastic? meh.

If it prevents me from having to shell out $$$ to replace that thin beautiful phone, yes.

I got to play with the X for about three hours the other day and I have to say..I liked it, but I didnt love it. I have a Nexus One, Froyo,which of course has a smaller screen than the X, but I came away liking my N1 better. I like the feel of the N1 better...the X had this cheap plastic feel to it...certainly not the build of the N1 or the new Iphone (just saying). If my friends at Moto want to give me one for free I would take it, but Im not paying to upgrade to it.

The Droid X has a soft-touch coating, but it's made out of metal.

Ok, but to me it doesnt compare looks wise to the others...

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, Slashgear's review of the Droid X says that it benchmarks as faster than the Galaxy S.
http://www.slashgear.com/droid-x-review-0793011/

let's be honest. the galaxy s posts I've seen in here are far from accurate.

also want to note that Samsung has stated that all galaxy s phones will be upgradable to 2.2. For all we know, that means by next year, *cough* HTC *cough*. Droid X has already confirmed to have 2.2 OTA updates in August. So Droid X will have more power and more features than the galaxy s phones... how is this a tough decision? toss in the "already rooted" rumors, and this phone is everything you'd want it to be, pretty much from launch.

also want to note that Samsung has stated that all galaxy s phones will be upgradable to 2.2. For all we know, that means by next year, *cough* HTC *cough*. Droid X has already confirmed to have 2.2 OTA updates in August. So Droid X will have more power and more features than the galaxy s phones... how is this a tough decision? toss in the "already rooted" rumors, and this phone is everything you'd want it to be, pretty much from launch.

Except for custom roms: :[

What about themes. Can you do themes with just root access?

I'm not buying it.
The Droid X is about 50% less capable GPU-wise than anything else (including the iPhone 4, Evo, just about everything). The Galaxy S, I agree... The number seems high. I think it's got more to do with firmware than hardware, because the hardware is easily capable.

If anything it's a wash. I'd still give slight edge to the Galaxy S simply due to better battery efficiency, more manageable size (the Droid X is a beast), and Super AMOLED.

Super AMOLED.

so released in august and you'll receive it by november?

i realize samsung is hording amoled screens for themselves, but they are also the only manufacturer left making them (and releasing across 2 or 3 major networks simultaneously). just seems like it could potentially be the incredible situation again for verizon customers.

I'm not buying it.
The Droid X is about 50% less capable GPU-wise than anything else (including the iPhone 4, Evo, just about everything). The Galaxy S, I agree... The number seems high. I think it's got more to do with firmware than hardware, because the hardware is easily capable.

It's the cpu that kills the galaxy s.
Only getting 8's in linpack.

I'm not buying it.

If anything it's a wash. I'd still give slight edge to the Galaxy S simply due to better battery efficiency, more manageable size (the Droid X is a beast), and Super AMOLED.

Could you provide some links? I was under the impression the Droid X & iPhone 4 were using the same gpu.

so released in august and you'll receive it by november?
I think you're confusing this with a different phone.
AMOLED != Super AMOLED

It's the cpu that kills the galaxy s.
Only getting 8's in linpack.
You even read the article?
"As mentioned earlier the N1 posted scores in the mid 7’s while the Galaxy S posted mid 8’s."

They're roughly comparable, at least on 2.1. Since the Galaxy S does not have 2.2 yet, any 2.2 N1 scores are going to have to be taken to a grain of salt.

Here's something interesting though, that showcases the CAPABILITY of the GPU in the Galaxy... Even the 2.2 N1... Posted 29FPS. The 2.1 Galaxy posted 56fps.
Almost twice. And the Galaxy isn't even running 2.2 yet.

Could you provide some links? I was under the impression the Droid X & iPhone 4 were using the same gpu.
The Droid X is running an PowerVR SGX530. (14m/sec)
The iPhone 4 is running an PowerVR SGX 535. (28m/sec)
The Galaxy S is running an PowerVR SGX540. (90m/sec)

Droid X's GPU is really "old"...

The Droid X's GPU is built on a smaller process (as is the CPU) and is clocked 80% higher than the PowerVR SGX530 found in the first Droid. The entire system also has much higher memory bandwidth.

Theoretical numbers != system-wide and real world performance.

I would say as "meh" as you are on the Droid X, is as "meh" as I on the Galaxy S.

At the end of the day it's still a Samsung phone. I feel the same way as Iodingi. Given Samsung's past, I feel much more comfortable with Motorola. Samsung has a history of abandoning it's hardware to focus on the next best thing. With LTE phones projected to be on hand by the holiday season, it's looking like we could have another repeat performance from Samsung. Then what? You're stuck with 2.1 on an "old" phone that the manufacturer is ignoring.

I think you're confusing this with a different phone.
AMOLED != Super AMOLED

I don't care if they're Super Duper 2400p AMOLED screens... Samsung is still the only mobile phone AMOLED manufacturer period. I didn't say it's bound to happen, just that it's a very good possibility.

I don't care if they're Super Duper 2400p AMOLED screens... Samsung is still the only mobile phone AMOLED manufacturer period.
You should call LG that and tell them, I'm sure they would be very interested to know that they don't actually make them too :rolleyes:

You should call LG that and tell them, I'm sure they would be very interested to know that they don't actually make them too :rolleyes:

lmao, i'd like to see cellphones rely on LG for AMOLED screens.... you'll be waiting until next June.

bottom line is that Samsung is the only "promoted" (does that word make you feel better?) AMOLED screen manufacturer. They currently have plans for a new production plant (or 2, I think) opening at the end of this year, early 2011. Only then will the supply meet the demand.

If LG could supply them, why would HTC switch to LCD for the incredible?

At the end of the day it's still a Samsung phone. I feel the same way as Iodingi. Given Samsung's past, I feel much more comfortable with Motorola. Samsung has a history of abandoning it's hardware to focus on the next best thing. With LTE phones projected to be on hand by the holiday season, it's looking like we could have another repeat performance from Samsung. Then what? You're stuck with 2.1 on an "old" phone that the manufacturer is ignoring.
You ignore two things.
1) Samsung has already promised 2.2.
2) This is their flagship device, and being it's on all the carriers here and internationally, it'll probably be more popular than Google's own N1. This means the custom ROM community will pick up any slack...

I don't care if they're Super Duper 2400p AMOLED screens... Samsung is still the only mobile phone AMOLED manufacturer period. I didn't say it's bound to happen, just that it's a very good possibility.
Samsung only restricts their own Super AMOLED technology, not the generic AMOLED. There's a difference.

You ignore two things.
1) Samsung has already promised 2.2.
2) This is their flagship device, and being it's on all the carriers here and internationally, it'll probably be more popular than Google's own N1. This means the custom ROM community will pick up any slack...

In response to #1: They never promised. (knowing samsung, that to me sounds like they are covering their rears to not lose customers)

In response to #2: Samsung has winmo 7 phones and dual core phones (both android and winmo 7) in the rumor mill for this holiday season. If this is their "flagship" device, it won't hold that title for more than a month or two. Here's a hilarious article which is just the epitome of how Samsung runs their mobile phone department.

I'll be 100% honest with you. I would consider the fascinate had it been made by any other manufacturer. From the sounds of your excitement, I take it you've never owned a Samsung smartphone before?

In response to #1: They never promised. (knowing samsung, that to me sounds like they are covering their rears to not lose customers)

In response to #2: Samsung has winmo 7 phones and dual core phones (both android and winmo 7) in the rumor mill for this holiday season. If this is their "flagship" device, it won't hold that title for more than a month or two. Here's a hilarious article which is just the epitome of how Samsung runs their mobile phone department.

I'll be 100% honest with you. I would consider the fascinate had it been made by any other manufacturer. From the sounds of your excitement, I take it you've never owned a Samsung smartphone before?
#1- Do you even read what you post? This is their official statement: "Galaxy S phones will come with Android 2.1 and be upgradeable to Android 2.2 which will support Adobe Flash 10.1."

#2- again you're totally ignoring custom community. They DON'T NEED Samsung.

I'm also holding my breath on the dual core devices. They'll suck battery like a cow, only reason our batteries today last as long as they do is we've decrease the usage of them with better screen, CPU, GPU, RAM, etc technology. We're now growing power consumption and using old battery tech, so I'm leery of it.

lmao, i'd like to see cellphones rely on LG for AMOLED screens.... you'll be waiting until next June.

bottom line is that Samsung is the only "promoted" (does that word make you feel better?) AMOLED screen manufacturer. They currently have plans for a new production plant (or 2, I think) opening at the end of this year, early 2011. Only then will the supply meet the demand.

If LG could supply them, why would HTC switch to LCD for the incredible?
LG is already supplying everyone else with AMOLED screens....HTC is switching because the screens are incredibly sensitive to defects and hard to produce and the demand for Android devices is exhausting AMOLED supplies, especially now that Samsung plans on ramping up their AMOLED Android marketing. Samsung isn't the only promoted manufacturer and there's a third that will be up and running by the end of the year.

How are you getting yours on Monday?

Can you or anyone else tell me? I've got the cash in hand right now.

I went into Best Buy this morning in Saint Joseph Mo and pre-paid 50 down ( gift card ) on the Droid X ... damn I cannot wait. But I have to wait til the 15th.

If I can get one Monday, please for Christs sake, tell me how! lol seriously

Last edited:
How are you getting yours on Monday?

Can you or anyone else tell me? I've got the cash in hand right now.

I went into Best Buy this morning in Saint Joseph Mo and pre-paid 50 down ( gift card ) on the Droid X ... damn I cannot wait. But I have to wait til the 15th.

If I can get one Monday, please for Christs sake, tell me how! lol seriously

Some people managed to get Verizon to ship out a few DXs, lucky bastards.

Here's something interesting though, that showcases the CAPABILITY of the GPU in the Galaxy... Even the 2.2 N1... Posted 29FPS. The 2.1 Galaxy posted 56fps.
Almost twice. And the Galaxy isn't even running 2.2 yet.

The Droid X is running an PowerVR SGX530. (14m/sec)
The iPhone 4 is running an PowerVR SGX 535. (28m/sec)
The Galaxy S is running an PowerVR SGX540. (90m/sec)

Droid X's GPU is really "old"...

I have a big question here how many developers will even utilize the power of the new GPU in the Galaxy S series? It seems that the android market is already heavily fragmented in terms of hardware and I am sure no one will just cater to the Galaxy S and kill all the existing customer base. I dont really think at the moment the GPU in the Galaxy S is going to be any kind of killer reason to get it. You have been singing its praises across the forums like no one else. What is it about this phone that isn't already on the market?

I have a big question here how many developers will even utilize the power of the new GPU in the Galaxy S series? It seems that the android market is already heavily fragmented in terms of hardware and I am sure no one will just cater to the Galaxy S and kill all the existing customer base. I dont really think at the moment the GPU in the Galaxy S is going to be any kind of killer reason to get it. You have been singing its praises across the forums like no one else. What is it about this phone that isn't already on the market?

Well, GPUs and software in phones work the same way as they do on phones. The faster the GPU, the more frame rates you'll get. A game like ToonWarz is barely playable on Snapdragon-based phones but on the Galaxy S, it absolutely flies. Same situation in Quake 2.

Well, GPUs and software in phones work the same way as they do on phones. The faster the GPU, the more frame rates you'll get. A game like ToonWarz is barely playable on Snapdragon-based phones but on the Galaxy S, it absolutely flies. Same situation in Quake 2.

Hmm. Is fps gameplay popular on mobile phones?

The mobile phone market reminds me of the computer market in the 90's. Every month new models come out with more powerfull components. This time next year we'll probably have dual core CPU's with full flash capabilities ect. Eventually the hardware race will level off as these components become overkill for their intended purpose.
I'm going to stick with my 3GS for awhile , something better is always right around the corner.

You could use that argument against any progress at all.

well my new every 2 is up in Oct so i may jump to this at that time. i love the phone i have but damn droid is calling my name.

the moto droid 2 is also coming to many to pick from lol

I only got a little ways in on ToonWarz, but it seemed to play fine on my Moto Droid.

Back