Who else is getting the Droid X?

Can anyone answer this here or do I have to search another forum.

With the Droid X being supposedly locked down at the rom level (no custom roms). Can you still load themes and stuff?

Does the Droid X come with a shoulder strap?

Seriously, all these new smartphones are feaking huge. I posted this here because the X seems to be the biggest of the bunch.

I'm about to make the jump into the android ocean but my head is spinning trying to pick which phone I want. Never really considered the Droid phones because I simply don't see the value in paying so much extra for Verizon's service.

My question to you is....what do you do with your smartphone when you're wearing shorts and a t-shirt? After all, it is summer.

That is incorrect. The Desire is a Snapdragon based product.
I said ABOUT THE SAME CPU, smarts.
Please read next time.

Can anyone answer this here or do I have to search another forum.

With the Droid X being supposedly locked down at the rom level (no custom roms). Can you still load themes and stuff?
That's true. Motorola encrypts the bootloader. So custom ROMs you are SOL on.
It'll probably be able to be rooted... At some point. So themes you should be good for.

Does the Droid X come with a shoulder strap?

Seriously, all these new smartphones are feaking huge. I posted this here because the X seems to be the biggest of the bunch.

I'm about to make the jump into the android ocean but my head is spinning trying to pick which phone I want. Never really considered the Droid phones because I simply don't see the value in paying so much extra for Verizon's service.

My question to you is....what do you do with your smartphone when you're wearing shorts and a t-shirt? After all, it is summer.
You'd kill over if you saw the Dell Streak then, LOL....
Edit- here it is:
dell-android-slate.jpg

This is exactly why the Droid X may not appeal to some people though. I think 4" is the max size I'd want (IE, the Galaxy S devices), with the iPhone sizes (3.5" and less) being a little small for a smartphone.

Put it in my pocket? I don't understand the question.

#1- Do you even read what you post? This is their official statement: "Galaxy S phones will come with Android 2.1 and be upgradeable to Android 2.2 which will support Adobe Flash 10.1."

#2- again you're totally ignoring custom community. They DON'T NEED Samsung.

I'm also holding my breath on the dual core devices. They'll suck battery like a cow, only reason our batteries today last as long as they do is we've decrease the usage of them with better screen, CPU, GPU, RAM, etc technology. We're now growing power consumption and using old battery tech, so I'm leery of it.

The Galaxy S in Korea is already getting 2.2 next month.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/07/samsung_dates_galaxy_s_android_22_froyo_update.html

I got my dummy for display yesterday. If history is any teacher , I should have a working unit tomorrow or maybe even today. Fingers crossed I will post pics along side my Incredible as soon as I have my X

Funny that people complain about how big the EVO and DX are.

Honestly, I have a iPod Touch and the screen is so small you just can't use it seriously for more than a few minutes.

For a phone, it's fine, music ... sure.

Web ? lol right .. games, a few are easy on the eyes.

Small screens to me are a gimmick. Not really useful.

Now, a 4.3 screen? Hell to da yes.

I think it's perfectly logical that people are concerned with the size. After all, for a lot of people it's still a communications device first and foremost. If I'm compelled to leave my phone in the car because it simply too big to comfortably fit in my pocket, kind of defeats the purpose.

I agree with your assessment of the screen size as it relates to gaming, but do you really need to have a gaming device with you 24/7 just in case you get that impulse to play something while waiting in line at the grocery store? Plus, with the questionable battery life on most of the recent devices, I would think that would discourage you from gaming.

I don't see myself doing a lot of "old fashioned" web browsing on a device like this, regardless of the size. I'll have my widgets and apps for my quick weather, news and market updates. These (for the most part) are optimized for a screen of this size.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but for me, the size of these new, top of the line devices are a little too big to be 100% portable and I can't understand how someone could comfortably fit one of them into their jeans pocket.

How much did you guys pay for your Droid X? Mine is 300 with a 100 MIR. Then again, it's one of those independent authorized dealers. I'm hoping to pick mine up either Thursday evening or Friday morning.

I believe the price of the phone without contract is $569.99

One Year Contract - $369.99

Two Year Contract - $299 + $100 MIR (when purchased in-store) or $299 + $199 Instant Rebate (when purchased online, over the phone, or Best Buy).

I'm hoping to have mine ordered as soon as the 15th hits.

Goodbye and good riddance BB/RIM...HELLO ANDROID!

Honestly, I have a iPod Touch and the screen is so small you just can't use it seriously for more than a few minutes.

For a phone, it's fine, music ... sure.

Web ? lol right .. games, a few are easy on the eyes.

Small screens to me are a gimmick. Not really useful.

Now, a 4.3 screen? Hell to da yes.

iphone screen is perfectly capable as a browser.

iphone screen is perfectly capable as a browser.

Midgets are perfectly capable at playing basketball as well.

Are they GOOD at it? No.

That's all he was saying... Bigger screens make browsing easier.

Midgets are perfectly capable at playing basketball as well.

Are they GOOD at it? No.

That's all he was saying... Bigger screens make browsing easier.

And, so does a higher resolution and a responsive interface.

Although I will say, browsing on my 3G was pretty terrible. Way too slow and poor resolution.

Although I will say, browsing on my 3G was pretty terrible. Way too slow and poor resolution.

Higher resolution doesn't mean much when you're still looking at a 3.5" display :p

The Droid's interfaces are perfectly responsive.

Sheesh, just admit there's some stuff the iPhone DOES NOT DO as well as other devices.

The iphone is great, as long as you don't think you can seriously use it for more than a phone of music player.

Sure if you want to strain the hell out of your eyes.

Itzy bitzy tiny screen.

Anyone know what the penalty would be to switch from an Incredible to the Droid X? I've had mine since launch in April and am mostly unhappy with the build quality. Other than that it's an amazing phone.

Higher resolution doesn't mean much when you're still looking at a 3.5" display :p

The Droid's interfaces are perfectly responsive.

Sheesh, just admit there's some stuff the iPhone DOES NOT DO as well as other devices.

There's lots of stuff the iphone doesn't do as well. Its display capabilities simply aren't one of them. And yes, higher resolution makes browsing better.

Customizing the interface is a big issue. AT&T only is also a huge negative if AT&T has issues near you. Lack of syncing outside of itunes and no native turn by turn software to add a couple more.

You do realize that the DPI on the Droid X is much closer to the iPhone 4 than it is to the iPhone 3G? The only reason iPhone diehards are amazed with the new display is because the display on all previous iPhones sucked so badly. 480x320??? The iPhone display got passed up a long time ago, and even though they have the numerical advantage, it makes no difference in real world use.

Unless you put an iPhone 4 and a droid or droid X right up to your face, you aren't going to notice the resolution difference (I can't see pixels on my droid). The droid and the droid X both have plenty of resolution, and the bigger screen DOES make web browsing easier. If you want to watch a theatrical movie on your phone, the iPhone screen shrinks to a 3.2" screen while the droid and droid X stay at 3.7" and 4.3" respectively.

You do realize that the DPI on the Droid X is much closer to the iPhone 4 than it is to the iPhone 3G? The only reason iPhone diehards are amazed with the new display is because the display on all previous iPhones sucked so badly. 480x320???

I agree. I think the droid X has a great display. Previous gen iphone displays were definitely lacking. Personally, I like the size of the iphone display and think droid x is a little big for my taste. Although it's really hard to make a thorough analysis of what you prefer without actually using both phones for a period of time. Playing with them for short periods of time just isn't enough.

You do realize that the DPI on the Droid X is much closer to the iPhone 4 than it is to the iPhone 3G? The only reason iPhone diehards are amazed with the new display is because the display on all previous iPhones sucked so badly. 480x320??? The iPhone display got passed up a long time ago, and even though they have the numerical advantage, it makes no difference in real world use.

Unless you put an iPhone 4 and a droid or droid X right up to your face, you aren't going to notice the resolution difference (I can't see pixels on my droid).

Agree...

I did the math once and IIRC... It was somewhere right around 6"... You had to hold it 6" or closer to benefit from that "retina" display at all. Nobody (IE: real world) does that.

I DEMAND TO KNOW how the hell you got your Droid X today!

I'm not waiting til Thrus if I can help it.

Seriously .... please ..... sigh ..... where did you get yours?

I DEMAND TO KNOW how the hell you got your Droid X today!

I'm not waiting til Thrus if I can help it.

Seriously .... please ..... sigh ..... where did you get yours?

I believe he purchased it from an individual who attended the unveiling event VZW/Moto had in June.

Just relax, 1 day to go.

Unless you put an iPhone 4 and a droid or droid X right up to your face, you aren't going to notice the resolution difference (I can't see pixels on my droid). The droid and the droid X both have plenty of resolution, and the bigger screen DOES make web browsing easier. If you want to watch a theatrical movie on your phone, the iPhone screen shrinks to a 3.2" screen while the droid and droid X stay at 3.7" and 4.3" respectively.

I had EVO for almost a month, and just got an iPhone 4 yesterday. The iPhone 4 is noticeably sharper than the EVO, at a normal viewing distance. It's not that you can see pixels on the 4.3" screen, and the difference isn't huge, but there is a noticeable difference in sharpness with the iPhone 4, especially with text. If you haven't seen an iPhone 4 in person, you'll never know the difference, but it is there.

I hope to be getting the Droid X this week if they have any still in supply when I get off work on the 15th. I'm actually going to pay the ETF with my current phone in order to get one of these.

I believe he purchased it from an individual who attended the unveiling event VZW/Moto had in June.

Just relax, 1 day to go.

Bingo! Some people were telling me that I wouldn't be able to insure it but that was complete BS. Actually I didn't even have to tell them to insure it. Within 30 mins of me activating it I drove over to my local Verizon store and asked them and they said yep its insured nothing to worry about. Then they were all interested how I got it early. :D

These are the only other pics I have which happen to be of the stock messaging app.

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00772.jpg

Sigh I wish Moto didn't lock this down. The lack of a custom ROM is a huge downer for me. It's those little things in ROMs that just make you love them so much. For example, having a reboot option when you hold down the power button, or skipping songs using your volume rocker, etc.

I had EVO for almost a month, and just got an iPhone 4 yesterday. The iPhone 4 is noticeably sharper than the EVO, at a normal viewing distance. It's not that you can see pixels on the 4.3" screen, and the difference isn't huge, but there is a noticeable difference in sharpness with the iPhone 4, especially with text. If you haven't seen an iPhone 4 in person, you'll never know the difference, but it is there.

I've seen an iPhone 4... I'm not really interested in reading 2 or 4pt text at arms length, so functionally, it is no different.

With as much as Motorola has locked this device down I am seriously reconsidering.

They are using an eFuse chip to brick the phone if you try to tamper with it. This combined with RSA2048 used on the bootloader is going to make this uncrackable. People are not even sure it will be rootable at this point.

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/3330-how-droid-x-locked-down-let-me-tell-you-what-i-know.html
Encrypted Bootrom = Impossible to ROM
eFuse chip is news to me but that seriously sucks.

I guess it's better than the iPhone (still more customizable), but Motorola just killed the appeal of Android on it.

I know I might be overly dramatic but this whole news about encrypted boot loaders and rooting, etc. Its pretty devastating. I was hoping they would continue the open/customize attitude well into the future. Its one of the strongest postives on their side. I'm a fan of Motorola too. Maybe someone else can pick up the slack and release a Droid X copy without the encryption.

I'm a fan of Motorola too. Maybe someone else can pick up the slack and release a Droid X copy without the encryption.

Huh? How's that gunna happen apart from Moto cooperation?
Highly doubtful anyone's going to want to put forth effort to crack encryption on an electronic device that'll be outdated in 6 months.

Back