Which X570 board for 128GB?

M76

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking to build a 128GB X570 system in the near future, and I'd like to ask if anyone uses one with 128GB of ram.
The factory QVLs usually only go up to 32GB at most. The only board I saw where they at least tested some 128GB setup was the Asrock X570 Pro4.

The ram I'm going to use is this kit

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
The major problem with that MAG X570 Tomahawk and most other mainstream-platform motherboards with four DIMM slots is that they are connected together using the "daisy-chain" topology, which heavily favors two sticks of RAM over four sticks of RAM. Whereas one can easily reach DDR4-3600 speeds with only 64 GB of RAM (using two 32 GB sticks), going to 128 GB may limit the maximum effective stable memory speed to only DDR4-2933 speed. The ASRock X570 Pro4 did work well with all four DIMM slots filled because it is one of the very few X570 motherboards that use "T-topology" instead of the far more common "daisy-chain" topology for the memory controller.

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
From what I've read on a few forums 32GB sticks seem hit or miss so I'd probably check out some QVLs and get one that lists the kit you intend to buy.

lopoetve

Fully [H]
64G seems to be good, but 128 - expect lower speeds. This is why I'm going TR this time.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
The major problem with that MAG X570 Tomahawk and most other mainstream-platform motherboards with four DIMM slots is that they are connected together using the "daisy-chain" topology, which heavily favors two sticks of RAM over four sticks of RAM. Whereas one can easily reach DDR4-3600 speeds with only 64 GB of RAM (using two 32 GB sticks), going to 128 GB may limit the maximum effective stable memory speed to only DDR4-2933 speed. The ASRock X570 Pro4 did work well with all four DIMM slots filled because it is one of the very few X570 motherboards that use "T-topology" instead of the far more common "daisy-chain" topology for the memory controller.
While MSI certainly has had some hits to its reputation lately, their motherboards (the higher end ones) are very good with clocking memory, even when using a daisy chain board. I've had no trouble running all four slots (64GB) at DDR4 3600MHz.

TheSlySyl

Gawd
Taichi X570 engineering sample is t-top while the retail/production is daisy
Well that's disappointing. =(

Guess it was confirmed.

1598509473858.png

I don't have anywhere near 128GB, but I was able to get my 48GB to run at 3200 completely and totally stable by hitting XMP and not touching any other settings. Two different RAM chips (one Hynix and one Samsung) and the 8GB are single rank and the 16GB are dual rank.
On my X370 after a shit ton of tweaking I could barely get it stable at 2800 or 2666 depending on the bios revision.

Last edited:

Starfalcon

Limp Gawd
I got my MSI creation board to run my 64 Gb at 3466, but I made sure to pick one off the QVL.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I can't think of a single X570 with T-topology. AFAIK, all of them are daisy chain. T-topology was more widely used in X370 and then X470, but then just about everyone switched over. There's a reddit spreadsheet floating around with a list of the topologies on different boards.

CEO_OF_CBT

Limp Gawd
Well that's disappointing. =(

Guess it was confirmed.

I don't have anywhere near 128GB, but I was able to get my 48GB to run at 3200 completely and totally stable by hitting XMP and not touching any other settings. Two different RAM chips (one Hynix and one Samsung) and the 8GB are single rank and the 16GB are dual rank.
On my X370 after a shit ton of tweaking I could barely get it stable at 2800 or 2666 depending on the bios revision.
rip :|

I can't think of a single X570 with T-topology. AFAIK, all of them are daisy chain. T-topology was more widely used in X370 and then X470, but then just about everyone switched over. There's a reddit spreadsheet floating around with a list of the topologies on different boards.
joke inside community is that poorzen = people only buy 2 dimms

that's why daisy is more a thing on newer amd boards

Jamie Marsala

Limp Gawd
I run 4x8GB sticks on my MSI Meg Ace board at 3800Mhz at CAS 14 with some tight timings just fine. I know they are single rank but they clock just fine on an X570 board with daisy chain.

pavel

Limp Gawd
Is it true that 4 sticks don't run at full speed on a lot of boards? Maybe B450 motherboards mostly?

I read a lot of posts on various sites of people having that problem. When they switched to 2 sticks, the problem went away.

A friend who has an Asus B450 can't run 4 sticks OC'ed @ 3000mhz. I am wondering if that is another example. Docp and manual has been tried.

lopoetve

Fully [H]
Is it true that 4 sticks don't run at full speed on a lot of boards? Maybe B450 motherboards mostly?

I read a lot of posts on various sites of people having that problem. When they switched to 2 sticks, the problem went away.

A friend who has an Asus B450 can't run 4 sticks OC'ed @ 3000mhz. I am wondering if that is another example. Docp and manual has been tried.
Yes. Lots of issues clocking high depending on ram quantities and type - MSI seems to do the best, but others are hit or miss, even on x570.
I run 4x8GB sticks on my MSI Meg Ace board at 3800Mhz at CAS 14 with some tight timings just fine. I know they are single rank but they clock just fine on an X570 board with daisy chain.
MSI, and that's a lower amount of RAM than some of us are talking about (especially the OP). 128G is 4x32, which definitely don't clock all that well and put the most strain on the IMC.

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
My crosshair VI IIRC is t-top. has 4xddr4-3200 (which is fine for linux & good enough for light gaming). Running a 3900x.

I wonder if the newer crosshairs are t-top as well?

Jamie Marsala

Limp Gawd
Yes. Lots of issues clocking high depending on ram quantities and type - MSI seems to do the best, but others are hit or miss, even on x570.

MSI, and that's a lower amount of RAM than some of us are talking about (especially the OP). 128G is 4x32, which definitely don't clock all that well and put the most strain on the IMC.
I know it is a lower amount of RAM, just saying the board clocks the lower amount in 4 sticks pretty well. Should hopefully clock some nice RAM maybe to XMP speeds of the kit.

lopoetve

Fully [H]
I know it is a lower amount of RAM, just saying the board clocks the lower amount in 4 sticks pretty well. Should hopefully clock some nice RAM maybe to XMP speeds of the kit.
Experiences on many larger kits sadly says otherwise. It's why I finally gave in and went with TR - I want (eventually) 128G.