Which X570 board for 128GB?

M76

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking to build a 128GB X570 system in the near future, and I'd like to ask if anyone uses one with 128GB of ram.
The factory QVLs usually only go up to 32GB at most. The only board I saw where they at least tested some 128GB setup was the Asrock X570 Pro4.

The ram I'm going to use is this kit

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The major problem with that MAG X570 Tomahawk and most other mainstream-platform motherboards with four DIMM slots is that they are connected together using the "daisy-chain" topology, which heavily favors two sticks of RAM over four sticks of RAM. Whereas one can easily reach DDR4-3600 speeds with only 64 GB of RAM (using two 32 GB sticks), going to 128 GB may limit the maximum effective stable memory speed to only DDR4-2933 speed. The ASRock X570 Pro4 did work well with all four DIMM slots filled because it is one of the very few X570 motherboards that use "T-topology" instead of the far more common "daisy-chain" topology for the memory controller.

From what I've read on a few forums 32GB sticks seem hit or miss so I'd probably check out some QVLs and get one that lists the kit you intend to buy.

64G seems to be good, but 128 - expect lower speeds. This is why I'm going TR this time.

The major problem with that MAG X570 Tomahawk and most other mainstream-platform motherboards with four DIMM slots is that they are connected together using the "daisy-chain" topology, which heavily favors two sticks of RAM over four sticks of RAM. Whereas one can easily reach DDR4-3600 speeds with only 64 GB of RAM (using two 32 GB sticks), going to 128 GB may limit the maximum effective stable memory speed to only DDR4-2933 speed. The ASRock X570 Pro4 did work well with all four DIMM slots filled because it is one of the very few X570 motherboards that use "T-topology" instead of the far more common "daisy-chain" topology for the memory controller.

While MSI certainly has had some hits to its reputation lately, their motherboards (the higher end ones) are very good with clocking memory, even when using a daisy chain board. I've had no trouble running all four slots (64GB) at DDR4 3600MHz.

Taichi X570 engineering sample is t-top while the retail/production is daisy
Well that's disappointing. =(

Guess it was confirmed.

1598509473858.png

I don't have anywhere near 128GB, but I was able to get my 48GB to run at 3200 completely and totally stable by hitting XMP and not touching any other settings. Two different RAM chips (one Hynix and one Samsung) and the 8GB are single rank and the 16GB are dual rank.
On my X370 after a shit ton of tweaking I could barely get it stable at 2800 or 2666 depending on the bios revision.

Last edited:
I got my MSI creation board to run my 64 Gb at 3466, but I made sure to pick one off the QVL.

I can't think of a single X570 with T-topology. AFAIK, all of them are daisy chain. T-topology was more widely used in X370 and then X470, but then just about everyone switched over. There's a reddit spreadsheet floating around with a list of the topologies on different boards.

Well that's disappointing. =(

Guess it was confirmed.

I don't have anywhere near 128GB, but I was able to get my 48GB to run at 3200 completely and totally stable by hitting XMP and not touching any other settings. Two different RAM chips (one Hynix and one Samsung) and the 8GB are single rank and the 16GB are dual rank.
On my X370 after a shit ton of tweaking I could barely get it stable at 2800 or 2666 depending on the bios revision.

rip :|

I can't think of a single X570 with T-topology. AFAIK, all of them are daisy chain. T-topology was more widely used in X370 and then X470, but then just about everyone switched over. There's a reddit spreadsheet floating around with a list of the topologies on different boards.

joke inside community is that poorzen = people only buy 2 dimms

that's why daisy is more a thing on newer amd boards

I run 4x8GB sticks on my MSI Meg Ace board at 3800Mhz at CAS 14 with some tight timings just fine. I know they are single rank but they clock just fine on an X570 board with daisy chain.

Is it true that 4 sticks don't run at full speed on a lot of boards? Maybe B450 motherboards mostly?

I read a lot of posts on various sites of people having that problem. When they switched to 2 sticks, the problem went away.

A friend who has an Asus B450 can't run 4 sticks OC'ed @ 3000mhz. I am wondering if that is another example. Docp and manual has been tried.

Is it true that 4 sticks don't run at full speed on a lot of boards? Maybe B450 motherboards mostly?

I read a lot of posts on various sites of people having that problem. When they switched to 2 sticks, the problem went away.

A friend who has an Asus B450 can't run 4 sticks OC'ed @ 3000mhz. I am wondering if that is another example. Docp and manual has been tried.

Yes. Lots of issues clocking high depending on ram quantities and type - MSI seems to do the best, but others are hit or miss, even on x570.
I run 4x8GB sticks on my MSI Meg Ace board at 3800Mhz at CAS 14 with some tight timings just fine. I know they are single rank but they clock just fine on an X570 board with daisy chain.

MSI, and that's a lower amount of RAM than some of us are talking about (especially the OP). 128G is 4x32, which definitely don't clock all that well and put the most strain on the IMC.

My crosshair VI IIRC is t-top. has 4xddr4-3200 (which is fine for linux & good enough for light gaming). Running a 3900x.

I wonder if the newer crosshairs are t-top as well?

Yes. Lots of issues clocking high depending on ram quantities and type - MSI seems to do the best, but others are hit or miss, even on x570.

MSI, and that's a lower amount of RAM than some of us are talking about (especially the OP). 128G is 4x32, which definitely don't clock all that well and put the most strain on the IMC.

I know it is a lower amount of RAM, just saying the board clocks the lower amount in 4 sticks pretty well. Should hopefully clock some nice RAM maybe to XMP speeds of the kit.

I know it is a lower amount of RAM, just saying the board clocks the lower amount in 4 sticks pretty well. Should hopefully clock some nice RAM maybe to XMP speeds of the kit.

Experiences on many larger kits sadly says otherwise. It's why I finally gave in and went with TR - I want (eventually) 128G.

Sorry to drag this thread back open but it came up in a google search. I'm from OCAU and wondering if you guys had any progress on this?
I run a ASUS ROG Strix X570-e motherboard and 128GB (4x32GB) of G.Skill 3600 RAM with a Ryzen 9 - 3950X. The problem I get, is that it wants to run at 3200 not its spec of 3600Mhz.
Any ideas?

https://rog.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-Strix/ROG-Strix-X570-E-Gaming-Model/
https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/184/1601285413/F4-3600C16Q-128GVK-Specification
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3950x

Attachments

• RAM-Spec.png
    RAM-Spec.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 0
Technically anything over JDEC is over clocked. I don’t know anyone at this point running full XMP on 128G, and only a few doing it with 64... I’ll be curious what you find out, but I suspect that may be really hard to pull off.

Sorry to drag this thread back open but it came up in a google search. I'm from OCAU and wondering if you guys had any progress on this?
I run a ASUS ROG Strix X570-e motherboard and 128GB (4x32GB) of G.Skill 3600 RAM with a Ryzen 9 - 3950X. The problem I get, is that it wants to run at 3200 not its spec of 3600Mhz.
Any ideas?

https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/184/1601285413/F4-3600C16Q-128GVK-Specification
Note that the QVL list for the Asus ROG Strix motherboards has not been updated since November of last year for the Matisse CPUs. In that list you will not find a 32 GB DIMM on that list rated above DDR4-3000 speed - and even at that speed, the QVL-listed 32 GB DIMMs were/are only JEDEC-standard (say, CL20 or CL22 rated), and not of any enthusiast RAM.

32 GB DDR4-3200 DIMMs such as yours were only added to that motherboard's QVL list for the new 5000-series Ryzen CPUs, but the list for the older 3000-series CPUs still has not been updated.

im looking to get TR this gen as well will there be any new boards for the amd 5000 TR or will it jus tbe bios updates for current boards? id also like to move to 128-256gb this time around 64gb is fine but for my work flow id like to set a nice chonky Ramdisk for scratch/convert folders. it works nice with my current rig i9 7980xe with 64gb but more would be ideal.

im looking to get TR this gen as well will there be any new boards for the amd 5000 TR or will it jus tbe bios updates for current boards? id also like to move to 128-256gb this time around 64gb is fine but for my work flow id like to set a nice chonky Ramdisk for scratch/convert folders. it works nice with my current rig i9 7980xe with 64gb but more would be ideal.
Don’t know yet. Early next year I think we’ll know more.

so still got time to set aside $2000 for a cpu $1500 for board, $1500 for ram more then likely,

Unknown. However, it's likely that sTRX4 platforms will follow X570 and not be updated at this time. I think AMD would be better served by utilizing the same platform for the 5000 series Threadrippers and spending their R&D efforts on the next generation DDR5 platforms for both the mainstream and HEDT segments. I believe this is what AMD is actually doing.

nice ill wait out he DDR 5-PCie 5 initial Entry get it later on once it matures maybe once its been out in market for a few years. ill look up some strong sTRX4 boards then thank you, figured theyd prob just reuse the socket like x570.

Unknown. However, it's likely that sTRX4 platforms will follow X570 and not be updated at this time. I think AMD would be better served by utilizing the same platform for the 5000 series Threadrippers and spending their R&D efforts on the next generation DDR5 platforms for both the mainstream and HEDT segments. I believe this is what AMD is actually doing.
Part of me wonders if sTRX4 will get one more generation of processors even beyond what is currently coming... they'd promised a longer life for it, but I could also see that not happening. Would be weird with something newer and not having DDR5/etc, but... who knows. I could also see how to justify it (expensive platform).

yeah did some searching boards i look at Extreme Alpha,Gigabyte aorus,msi creation, all about the $2000 CAD Mark, which is fine with me if it lasts at least 2-3 yrs then new gen bugs will be at least identified and well start seeing 6400mhz DDR5 more regularly. DDR5 will be like Zen Gen 1 at first.

That’s twice what it should be?!? Zenith II extreme should be around 1100CAD?

oh dang quick search on ebay straight from japan $1290+ 25 shipping. for the alpha

Last edited:
Came here to reply about this issue.
My machine was super unstable with 4 x 32GB Corsair Vengance PRO RGB 3200 running at XMP. At first I thought I had a bad processor or motherboard.. After bumping with this thread I clocked down the memory based on XMP to 2932 and was able to attain stability.
Today I've got another BSOD so even at 2932 I do not think it's possible to get a fully stable system with 4 x 32GB. I may lower it even further to 2666.

I was really hoping to have a good setup but so far it seems I should have gone with the TR instead.

I have a Ryzen 9 3950 @ 3.95 fixed clock, OC per CCX to 3950/3850/3950/3950 at 1.15v running on Gigabyte X570 Master

Everything appears to be perfect except for the RAM.

I use it for Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator. I also have a 2 x MP600 using SoftRAID (very cool software tool) since AMD RAID is basically useless with the custom driver. I also have a RAMdisk and a Cachedisk to speedup writing of projects on RAM first.

Last edited:
Corsair ram is a bit more touchy with ryzen than some others. Might want to try G.Skill TridentZ or the like. Had that issue myself with 4 sticks. Before that, nudge up voltage and SoC voltage.

I've used Ryzen DRAM Calculator and lowered the timings a bit and now it seems to be stable at 2866. Do you think that by upping the SoC voltage I may be able to stabilize it at higher clocks?

Corsair ram is a bit more touchy with ryzen than some others. Might want to try G.Skill TridentZ or the like. Had that issue myself with 4 sticks. Before that, nudge up voltage and SoC voltage.
That would be ideal but I've spend 600 dollars on these 2 kits and don't feel like spending another 600 for the TridentZ now sadly.

I've used Ryzen DRAM Calculator and lowered the timings a bit and now it seems to be stable at 2866. Do you think that by upping the SoC voltage I may be able to stabilize it at higher clocks?
Missed this. You might be able to. My x399 board definitely takes that with Corsair ram, as did my x370

Thanks I'm gonna try this!. It's been really hard for me. Coming from Intel, had an Core i9 7900X running happily at 4Ghz for several years and as soon as I've assembled my new Ryzen 9 it was a nightmare, between heat, memory, bios incompatibilities, PC not booting for bios failures when RAID was enabled. It was one hell of a ride for me.

Any ideas?

The spec is 2667mhz at that density not 3600mhz.

Back