Which USB Adapter?

Cook_1

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Corsair Force MP300 drive, I'm trying to get a USB adapter to secure erase it. I bought this one but it didn't detect the drive, bought it because it shows that it will work for the double notch on the drive. So my question is, what adapter will work on this drive? I go and look at ones like this, but the big red x over the double notch drive has put me off.

Or is there a more simple way of doing this? Before I got my drive upgrade I tried to secure erase it with software, but since it was my boot drive that didn't work. Asrock doesn't have a BIOS feature to do this - it says secure erase as a header but the only thing under the heading is a QR code that I can't scan due to the poor image quality in the BIOS.

--Edit-- Bought a few adapters, ones that don't work you'll be seeing in the FS section next week :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know why Corsair has their drives keyed like that; a NVME drive (like the MP300 is) should be just M.Keyed.

Regardless, you can stop looking at the keying and just start looking at the tech. Your drive is NVMe, you need a NVMe to USB adapter. That last one you linked (https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Enclosure-JMS583-Portable-Samsung/dp/B07NPFT91M) should be fine

Thanks for the confirmation, that's exactly where I was getting lost - by following the pictures (who would have thought right? Pictures are supposed to make things easier).

I don't know why Corsair has their drives keyed like that; a NVME drive (like the MP300 is) should be just M.Keyed.

Regardless, you can stop looking at the keying and just start looking at the tech. Your drive is NVMe, you need a NVMe to USB adapter. That last one you linked (https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Enclosure-JMS583-Portable-Samsung/dp/B07NPFT91M) should be fine
They keyed it that way because it only has 2 PCIe lanes. B-keyed M.2 slots are supposed to support 1 SATA and 2 PCIe lanes. They are somewhat more common at the 2242 size, admittedly, and not the 2280 size.

Ah I hadn't noticed it was only x2. Good call. Either way you're just looking for NVME compatibility :)

Back