• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which SSD to get for ~ 300$

DamTheMan

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 22, 2006
Messages
1,580
Looking for a solid SSD to run windows and programs on. I'm not really up on the whole SSD scene, last I heard they were buggy with chipets or something.

Basically looking to get the fastest drive I can for 300 that's at least 60gb.

Thanks
 
I would highly recommend the Patriot TorqX M28. While it may not seem so glorious, it has the Indilinix controller, offers very good overall speed, is only $340 for the 128GB version, and has a 10 year warranty.
 
From what little I've read, intels x-25's seem to be great drives but why?

I reallly want something with more speed than size as I have more drives for storage I just want this for windows and varioius work applications and a few games.

What are some of the key features to look out for?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167005 would this be one of the second gens you're talking about, the x-25m?

So there's an x-25, x-25m, and x-25e. But why are the E's sooo much more expensive, I realize they're EXTREME, but really what makes them better?
 
From what little I've read, intels x-25's seem to be great drives but why?

I reallly want something with more speed than size as I have more drives for storage I just want this for windows and varioius work applications and a few games.

What are some of the key features to look out for?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167005 would this be one of the second gens you're talking about, the x-25m?

So there's an x-25, x-25m, and x-25e. But why are the E's sooo much more expensive, I realize they're EXTREME, but really what makes them better?



E's use SLC tech. M's use MLC flash. Search wikipedia if you want more info. E's have faster write speed. But the New x-25M @ng Gen have faster random I/O. From what I've read and heard the intel drives have the best real world impact(ie game and app launching, os loading). Wait for the 2nd gen intel drives to get back on newegg for 225. Best drive out there right now IMO. The OCZ Vertex has faster write speeds but intel blows it out the water in Random I/O.
 
E's use SLC tech. M's use MLC flash. Search wikipedia if you want more info. E's have faster write speed. But the New x-25M @ng Gen have faster random I/O. From what I've read and heard the intel drives have the best real world impact(ie game and app launching, os loading). Wait for the 2nd gen intel drives to get back on newegg for 225. Best drive out there right now IMO. The OCZ Vertex has faster write speeds but intel blows it out the water in Random I/O.

Yes but the question is is the increased random I/O noticeable in daily use? Doubtful. However the extra 40gb is..
 
The x-25 drives seem really nice, but why do the intels perform so badly in write speed compared to drives like the gskill?

How important is write speed?
 
Yeah, thanks was doing some more research on real world benches and I think the intel g2 is the way to go. Unfortunately i'm impatient and want it now!
 
+1 Intel V2, just installing mine (160gb) with WIndows 7 RTM, random read and writes are where its at for SSD general usage and intel is king there. They have really nailed the price performance (comparative to other ssds, not mechanical)
 
Now they just need to be in stock!

However I was reading something about if you password protect your drive it can leave you locked out but intel was working on a fix for that.

Any idea if the fix is out yet?
 
Yes but the question is is the increased random I/O noticeable in daily use? Doubtful. However the extra 40gb is..

It is my understanding that random IO IS typical daily use, while sustained writes are not as common. I think the performance advantage with the X25-M G2 would be noticeable, but I could be wrong. It might all just be e-peen and synthetic benchmarks.

Can anyone that has gone from an Indilinx drive like a Vertex to an X25-M G2 chime in?
 
Last edited:
Yeah, thanks was doing some more research on real world benches and I think the intel g2 is the way to go.

Do you see what you just said there? "Real world benches" That does not make any sense.
 
Do you see what you just said there? "Real world benches" That does not make any sense.


Ummmm how does that not make sense? Synthetic benches vs REAL WORLD BENCHES? One is a benchmark of normal things one is a pre-made program. IE running a time demo in crysis VS 3dmark.... One's real world one is synthetic! Taking out a stop watch and comparing how long it take a program to load vs HDTach bench. Real world Vs Synthetic. Nuff said =]
 
It is my understanding that random IO IS typical daily use, while sustained writes are not as common. I think the performance advantage with the X25-M G2 would be noticeable, but I could be wrong. It might all just be e-peen and synthetic benchmarks.

Can anyone that has gone from an Indilinx drive like a Vertex to an X25-M G2 chime in?

Unless your doing super heavy database stuff, etc, I doubt it's noticeable.

*rough numbers
 
I appreciate all the input, I think the intel x-25m g1 or g2 is what i'm going to try depending on availability
 
Once the firmware issue is corrected, the intel g2 drives will be available for purchase.
 
I'm waiting for the x25-m G2 to come back in stock then I'll make the plunge. That seems like a good entry point to hold me over while SSDs become cheaper/larger in the future.

... it's also about $1/gb cheaper than when I bought my first raptor in 2003 so I guess I don't feel that bad it :)
 
I won't speak ill of the X25 Gen 2's, because they really are great drives.
HOWEVER, unless you are running a seriously hotshit system, the difference between an X25, X25 Gen2 and a Patriot TorqX M28 is not going to be at all visible in day to day operations. Benchmarks and whatnot are frankly, pointless. Do you honestly, really care if you wait another half second to load a level? No, not really.

At this point in the SSD game, think less performance, more value. What does your money get you, when you remove performance from the equation? Not that performance isn't an important aspect, but honestly, SSDs are outpacing everything else, and differences are measured in milliseconds.

Just something you should all consider.
 
I won't speak ill of the X25 Gen 2's, because they really are great drives.
HOWEVER, unless you are running a seriously hotshit system, the difference between an X25, X25 Gen2 and a Patriot TorqX M28 is not going to be at all visible in day to day operations. Benchmarks and whatnot are frankly, pointless. Do you honestly, really care if you wait another half second to load a level? No, not really.

At this point in the SSD game, think less performance, more value. What does your money get you, when you remove performance from the equation? Not that performance isn't an important aspect, but honestly, SSDs are outpacing everything else, and differences are measured in milliseconds.

Just something you should all consider.

So to paraprhase you, buy the the cheapest $$$/GB?
 
So to paraprhase you, buy the the cheapest $$$/GB?

Actually, no! :)

I buy the one that gives me the best total value for my dollar, rather than cheapest per gigabyte. I certainly could get more gigs for less dollars than a Patriot TorqX M28. However, the TorqX M28 has a 10 year warranty, which is a tremendous value.

If you were to present me two Indi based SSDs, same performance. TorqX is $340 @ 128GB, but I can get the other one for $300 @ 160GB, but has a 2 year warranty, I would go for the TorqX. Why? Because that extra $40 means I don't have to spend $100-$400 after 24 months for a new drive, should it fail. It's cheap insurance.

By the same token, if you gave me two drives with a 3 year warranty - one is 80GB and $275, the other is 128GB and $290. The 80GB has slightly better performance by a hair. I'd go for the 128GB, because it's the better value proposition.

Makes more sense now?
 
Actually, no! :)

I buy the one that gives me the best total value for my dollar, rather than cheapest per gigabyte. I certainly could get more gigs for less dollars than a Patriot TorqX M28. However, the TorqX M28 has a 10 year warranty, which is a tremendous value.

If you were to present me two Indi based SSDs, same performance. TorqX is $340 @ 128GB, but I can get the other one for $300 @ 160GB, but has a 2 year warranty, I would go for the TorqX. Why? Because that extra $40 means I don't have to spend $100-$400 after 24 months for a new drive, should it fail. It's cheap insurance.

By the same token, if you gave me two drives with a 3 year warranty - one is 80GB and $275, the other is 128GB and $290. The 80GB has slightly better performance by a hair. I'd go for the 128GB, because it's the better value proposition.

Makes more sense now?

So to paraprhase you, value in SSD is a combination of Warranty, $/BG, then speed. In decreasing importance.

BTW, I am NOT making fun of you (well a bit), I am actually learning quite a bit from what you are saying.
 
As long ass you're sticking with current gen SSDs - NO JMicron anything. I'm not a big fan of the new Samsung drives either, but that's just because of the lack of support for them. Stick with Intel or Indilinx.
 
So to paraprhase you, value in SSD is a combination of Warranty, $/BG, then speed. In decreasing importance.

BTW, I am NOT making fun of you (well a bit), I am actually learning quite a bit from what you are saying.

I kinda figured you weren't. But yeah, to paraphrase, that's roughly it. Think more in terms of reliability, cost-per-gig, then raw performance.

Remember that raw performance on these drives ends up equal across the board in the end, because you're limited by other system components, and the differences are tiny.

As long ass you're sticking with current gen SSDs - NO JMicron anything. I'm not a big fan of the new Samsung drives either, but that's just because of the lack of support for them. Stick with Intel or Indilinx.

I would like some of what you are smoking. The Samsungs are very well supported, and easily the finest drives out there from a support standpoint. But agreed on JMicron - don't even waste time looking at anything with any JMicrons, firmware or not. It shouldn't have happened in the first place, and firmware is no guarantee of future performance or reliability. I don't trust those drives at ALL.
 
Intel 2nd Gen x-25 is the way to go for now. When the other manufacturers catch up with their own 34nm products, then the market prices should really drop. That would be awesome for consumers.
 
I would like some of what you are smoking. The Samsungs are very well supported, and easily the finest drives out there from a support standpoint.

I wish I was smoking, but I quit. A bit of a broad statment on the Samsungs I made. A whiole line of the new ones came out with bad firmware and there is no way to the end user to flash to the new firmware - lots of pissed off customers who bought the SSDs before the newer firmware was shipping. Some of these people have been waiting months and Samsung has been a PITA about the whole situation. A very different story with Indilinx.
 
Ended up getting a X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA II MLC

I'm sure i'll be happy with it's performance and i've got 5tb worth of space on another machine if I need storage.

Thanks for the input.
 
Wow, I would have waited the week and gotten the G2... but oh well..
 
Ended up getting a X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA II MLC

I'm sure i'll be happy with it's performance and i've got 5tb worth of space on another machine if I need storage.

Thanks for the input.

you'll be happy with it. I'm happy with mine
 
As long ass you're sticking with current gen SSDs - NO JMicron anything. I'm not a big fan of the new Samsung drives either, but that's just because of the lack of support for them. Stick with Intel or Indilinx.

Important point. I have a feeling the general public will be burned (again) by cheapo SSD sales at Frys or whatever .. JMicrons, of course. "Hey look, it's the cheapest and is pretty big, must be the best bang for my buck". Then firefox starts freezing every 5 seconds...

OCZ Core is still listed as a "value" drive.... "junk" is closer to the truth. Go with a 7200 rpm-er. And don't give me Windows Steadystate - which OEM would possibly install that on a client computer?
 
Hi, does anyone know for why Everest doesn't show any temperature value for SSD drives ?

It does for every HDD I connect to the system, but none for SSDs.
 
Hi, does anyone know for why Everest doesn't show any temperature value for SSD drives ?

It does for every HDD I connect to the system, but none for SSDs.

SSDs do not have a temperature sensor or support for it.
 
Back
Top