Which PC games are you playing the most these days?

I have been recently been playing a game called operation flashpoint 2, (well operation flashpoint: dragon rising is what it title says) Its a console based fps, but it doesn't suck like one, I am surprised with all of the call of duty kiddies in the world that more people aren't playing this game, but it takes some balls to play the game, its not like a call of duty where you can get shot 8 times, hide behind a rock for 30 seconds and everything is good, and you get to command a squad around, and the co-op is pretty good although their are still bugs to be worked out. Don't listen to the 7s and 8s that all the big review sites give this game, its better than that.

I have been recently been playing a game called operation flashpoint 2, (well operation flashpoint: dragon rising is what it title says) Its a console based fps, but it doesn't suck like one, I am surprised with all of the call of duty kiddies in the world that more people aren't playing this game, but it takes some balls to play the game, its not like a call of duty where you can get shot 8 times, hide behind a rock for 30 seconds and everything is good, and you get to command a squad around, and the co-op is pretty good although their are still bugs to be worked out. Don't listen to the 7s and 8s that all the big review sites give this game, its better than that.

I couldn't disagree more. This game was so terrible I uninstalled after 2 generous hours of game play. The AI is retarded - my guys would constantly get stuck behind rocks, trees, near water, and they couldn't figure out how to get unstuck. So incredibly frustrating. On the first mission one of my guys was stuck behind A ROCK so I decided to head to the chopper and leave him - it wouldn't let me finish the mission!! That's just one issue with this game - it has many more though. Two thumbs down.

Ironically I'm playing a lot of Battlefield 2 these days. I gave the game up almost 2 years ago and then I found out there was a large update. The new levels make it fun again. For me at least.

Lately I've been playing mostly TF2. It's been a while since I played and I had forgotten how much fun this game is!

I couldn't disagree more. This game was so terrible I uninstalled after 2 generous hours of game play. The AI is retarded - my guys would constantly get stuck behind rocks, trees, near water, and they couldn't figure out how to get unstuck. So incredibly frustrating. On the first mission one of my guys was stuck behind A ROCK so I decided to head to the chopper and leave him - it wouldn't let me finish the mission!! That's just one issue with this game - it has many more though. Two thumbs down.

Ironically I'm playing a lot of Battlefield 2 these days. I gave the game up almost 2 years ago and then I found out there was a large update. The new levels make it fun again. For me at least.

So, S.T.A.L.K.E.R was the worst game ever created, right? Just because you had some bugs pop up in your game does not mean the gameplay is bad, and if you can't get passed that I feel sorry for you. I have only played the game a few hours myself, but the only bugs I experienced were in CO-OP mode playing with a friend, for some unknown reason after I blew up a tank with a rocket launcher, we were going next to it, basicly using the blown up tank as cover, and for some reason the tank rotated on its side then started jumping up in the air and killed my friend, and because I watched it, I got shot in the head. But that only happened once, and that was the only problem. No game is flawless.

Sounds kind of like company of heroes almost. You really should try COD WAW - far better than cod4 for multiplayer. The maps are much better than cod4 and the overrall feel is more "realistic" as far as video games go.

Sounds kind of like company of heroes almost. You really should try COD WAW - far better than cod4 for multiplayer. The maps are much better than cod4 and the overrall feel is more "realistic" as far as video games go.

Not to mention bigger maps. War = the best.

So, S.T.A.L.K.E.R was the worst game ever created, right? Just because you had some bugs pop up in your game does not mean the gameplay is bad, and if you can't get passed that I feel sorry for you. I have only played the game a few hours myself, but the only bugs I experienced were in CO-OP mode playing with a friend, for some unknown reason after I blew up a tank with a rocket launcher, we were going next to it, basicly using the blown up tank as cover, and for some reason the tank rotated on its side then started jumping up in the air and killed my friend, and because I watched it, I got shot in the head. But that only happened once, and that was the only problem. No game is flawless.

I can live with bugs, but not when they prevent me from progressing in the game. I took my time in the first level, completing all the optional objectives, only to be greeted with that ridiculousness at the end of it all? No thanks. I'd happily elect to have a tank defy physics and then land on my head.

Like I said though - there were many other issues in Flashpoint. I found the orders menu (ROE/movement/etc.) to be really clunky. It wasn't smooth switching between weapons. Every time you send your squad you call out each obnoxious location digit (WHISKEY SIX NINE BLAH BLAH BLAH) every time! I could go on. Don't take it personally. I'm not knocking you for liking it, I'm knocking the game for being unrefined to an unacceptable degree for me.

totally agreed.

STALKER:SoC,it's at times frustrating but addictive.There's so many side missions it's easy to get sidetracked and miss important missions.I managed to get all the way to the locked door at the power plant and realized I never got the decoder needed to open it.Luckily I found that there was a glitch that allowed you to get the door open without it.

Right now I've been playing Aion a lot, Im half way to level 32.
Also some torchlight mixed in.

Im also going to get Dragon Age.

Been thinking about playing the orange box again. I like the hl2 series.

CSS Zombie Escape Maps

40 People of Pure carnage.

Its super fun as its not serious... and everyone yelling and screaming as you run from zombies is great.

I played call of duty world at war. I have been playing first person shooters since I was 10 when I first played Quake 2, and infact when I was 8 I played doom 95, but I really started with quake 2. And I play to be challenged, honestly, world at war didnt challenge me, its just shoot and kill, no real mission, no real adversity, if I get shot, i hide until the screen goes back to normal, thats not a challenge. I played call of duty 1 and felt challenged, I didn't feel a challenge playing basically the same game that was call of duty 2, different maps, slightly different engine, same shit different package.

Operation flashpoint 2 and Call of duty whatever the fuck aren't on the same level in terms of a challenge, or graphically, or in terms of learning curve. Codemasters actually gives me a little faith that someone who designs games for consoles (and ports to pc) make a game which actually tries to make it difficult for me to beat the game, and not a game simply to be "highly consumable"

I am just thankful that I started playing at an early age, and learned what makes a good first person shooter, and didn't start out by being sucked into these 'new age' console FPSes because of the media hype and the manufactured popularity of a game which is simply mass produced and mass re-created every year.

well said simpson, i'm glad i've been around computer games since the days of my old commodore 64 and have tried so many amazing games, as well as some horrible ones. I'm glad someone else has the same view as me. all these great shooters the media hypes up are just cookie cutters of the previous one with more "catchy" features to attract more people.

I remember playing my first fps at compusa decade ago... it was wolfenstein 3d and doom 2. since then i've been hooked on fps games, and when i tried operation flashpoint that was the game that made me appreciate and get hooked on the challenege a game can bring. now a days it's nice to see games take that route rather than going for the easy dollar. thank you codemasters and bohemia (ofp:dr & arma 2)

well said simpson, i'm glad i've been around computer games since the days of my old commodore 64 and have tried so many amazing games, as well as some horrible ones. I'm glad someone else has the same view as me. all these great shooters the media hypes up are just cookie cutters of the previous one with more "catchy" features to attract more people.

I remember playing my first fps at compusa decade ago... it was wolfenstein 3d and doom 2. since then i've been hooked on fps games, and when i tried operation flashpoint that was the game that made me appreciate and get hooked on the challenege a game can bring. now a days it's nice to see games take that route rather than going for the easy dollar. thank you codemasters and bohemia (ofp:dr & arma 2)

It's interesting you say this, I have been thinking a lot about the state of todays gaming.

I am one of the old skool, not the oldest of the old, but one who has been around since the good ol' C64, Amiga, and lest not forget, my first gaming rig... The mighty BBC Acorn! ;)

I grew up playing a plethora of different gaming genres, RPG (special nod to Might & Magic 3), action, adventure (omg sierra), and eventually FPS's (Wolf 3d, doom blah blah), most of which were played on a 286 rocking out 12 MHZ cpu speed with a giant 640k memory. 640k of memory which often fell short whilst attempting to play demanding games such as Wing Commander 2: Revenge of the Kilrathi.

All those "hardware" issues aside, I find myself a little bit dismayed about the gaming culture of today. I certainly have nothing against FPS fans, I think there are some fantastic FPS games out there and have personally enjoyed a multitude of them myself (having a blast in Borderlands). But it seems there is a whole generation of gamers that have missed out on a massive amount of what gaming can ofter in terms of gameplay variety.

I guess, what I am trying to say is, a lot of modern gamers seem to stick to a particular genre, and dont really see the benefits of another genre, and often completely dismiss a game after only trying the first 10mins then uninstalling.

I dont know, I'm old. Leave me alone.

Crysis, running on the rig in my sig at 720p with physics and sound quality at high, everything else on low. Getting about 25fps average.

It's interesting you say this, I have been thinking a lot about the state of todays gaming.

I am one of the old skool, not the oldest of the old, but one who has been around since the good ol' C64, Amiga, and lest not forget, my first gaming rig... The mighty BBC Acorn! ;)

I grew up playing a plethora of different gaming genres, RPG (special nod to Might & Magic 3), action, adventure (omg sierra), and eventually FPS's (Wolf 3d, doom blah blah), most of which were played on a 286 rocking out 12 MHZ cpu speed with a giant 640k memory. 640k of memory which often fell short whilst attempting to play demanding games such as Wing Commander 2: Revenge of the Kilrathi.

All those "hardware" issues aside, I find myself a little bit dismayed about the gaming culture of today. I certainly have nothing against FPS fans, I think there are some fantastic FPS games out there and have personally enjoyed a multitude of them myself (having a blast in Borderlands). But it seems there is a whole generation of gamers that have missed out on a massive amount of what gaming can ofter in terms of gameplay variety.

I guess, what I am trying to say is, a lot of modern gamers seem to stick to a particular genre, and dont really see the benefits of another genre, and often completely dismiss a game after only trying the first 10mins then uninstalling.

I dont know, I'm old. Leave me alone.

I'm one of the younger generation, and I know what you mean. People don't give games a chance, AND games today are either one thing, and only one thing which is not bad per say but they could try innovating. But on the other hand you have games trying too hard to "innnovate" but then end up being a jack of all master of none thing.

I love how auto regenerating health is considered a console thing ported to the PC. Halo 1 may have been the first popular game to use it but it is far from a console thing. I prefer it really. Who has all the time in the world to play games they want? The rewind feature in Forza 3 also was an excellent addition. I don't. Dying and restarting a level is not my idea of fun. If you do not like it, you can always raise the difficulty. It won't eliminate it but it will make the enemies much tougher.

I think a majority of people prefer it.

Nothing. Got bored of TF2 and gotta wait for something else. I currently waiting for Max Payne, Stalker, and Starcraft 2.

I have only played about 10 minutes of Stalker SoC but I don't know if I'm going to be able to get into it. :(

was playing with borderlands till i got really sick of the console port feel, just playing wc3 now

Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead, Silent Hill 4 (finally finishing that one!), Assassin's Creed. Next on the list is STALKER:SoC and perhaps Borderlands.

Tried both of the released demos for Painkiller:Resurrection. I'm thankful for the demos, as my wallet will still be $30 heavier after seeing that crap. Though their forums are fun to skim through on how bad of a trainwreck the full version turned out.

I have only played about 10 minutes of Stalker SoC but I don't know if I'm going to be able to get into it. :(

Keep going.

I have struggled over the past couple days where can't seem to go anywhere, but wow the story opened up again and it's awesome. I have put almost 10 hours in it according to steam to give you an idea. I'd say half of that time I was running around with my head cut off, but now that I'm on the right track I find the story pretty engaging. Make sure you are also patching with the stalker 2009 complete pack. Graphics = :cool:

was playing with borderlands till i got really sick of the console port feel, just playing wc3 now

amen. Most overrated game of the year. crappy network connectivity, consolitis, crappy interface, lousy FOV (and this is the first time I've ever complained about that), lame graphics, no story.

Sigh. Back to witcher!

I quit L4D quite a while back, but after downloading some killer modded maps I'm really back into it, hell, even playing single player is fun with so many different maps-some examples-Night Terror, Vienna Calling, Coal'd Blood, The Arena of the Dead(still in beta). Thank god for the modding community.

Still looking for a $19 deal on L4D myself, that game looks fun. Been playing zombie mode on cod5 and I really like it. I would think cod5 has better graphics than l4d though. Wish there were nazi zombie multiplayer servers in cod5.

Keep going.

I have struggled over the past couple days where can't seem to go anywhere, but wow the story opened up again and it's awesome. I have put almost 10 hours in it according to steam to give you an idea. I'd say half of that time I was running around with my head cut off, but now that I'm on the right track I find the story pretty engaging. Make sure you are also patching with the stalker 2009 complete pack. Graphics = :cool:

I'll second that.It definitely isn't just another mindless shoot'em up,though those can be entertaining too.It's not a game you can breeze through quickly but the challenges make it all the more rewarding.It also has some of the creepiest moments I've seen in a game.

I'm still playing Mass Effect... again. :D Cannot wait for January and ME2!

Aside from that I'll probably be doing some Modern Warfare 2 here in a few days.

Battle Stations Pacific, the original Command & Conquer and Civ IV <-(when my brother has the time)

i'd like to try Mass Effect just haven't tried it yet, bought dragonage the other day but want to finish a game or two before getting into it..lol

It's called Piracy. If you didn't pay for it, you probably wouldn't give it more than 10 minutes if it doesn't impress you right away.

I've been playing a ton of Borderlands lately. Fantastic game, but I wish there was more content and they took the story further (or delved into each character's individual stories). Maybe there will be some DLC. I also have been playing some Killing Floor (stemming from the free weekend), which is great to pick up for a quick break. Next on the horizon is the L4D2 demo, then maybe Dragon Age if I have time. If not, I might see if anything has changed with Battlefield Heroes.

I picked up a logitech momo and a thrustmaster topgun flight stick for a combined $25 and because of that awesome deal ive been playing a lot of racing and flying games.

nfs shift - looks great. great feel but a little "loose". fun as hell though.
nfs porsche unleashed - game is almost 10 years old but i think it still has the best feel for a wheel. perfect.
GTR2 - very good racing sim. great graphics. deep game with lots of tinkering. a little hard to master as its meant to be realistic.
Dirt - not that great with a wheel. input feels sluggish. some tracks are unplayable because of it. ive messed with the controls so its acceptable now but nowhere the precision of gtr2 or NFSPU.

HAWX - pretty damn fun with the flight stick. a little tricky to control though with all the maneuvering required.
FSX - can finally run it decently with 1gb vram and an i7. looks great and is pretty fun although the thrustmaster is more for combat then sim so its a little tedious.

and for my mainstay: cs:s. ive been playing it consistently since 06 and its just so simple and fun that its never not been installed on my pc.

Back