Which monitor for gaming?!

which one?

• ASUS VG27AH 27IN

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dell U2412M ( 8 ms)

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Asus PA248Q

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other / None of the above. Please specify your choice.

Votes: 21 51.2%

• Total voters

h_loyali

n00b
Hi !
After tons of research i could not find a good monitor that has a high quality with IPS panel and no BLeeding or noticable Input lag under 400 $!

I think of Asus PA248Q , but somebody said this has a noticable input lag and bleeding ,
I thought about Benq XL2420 but it doesn't have a ips panel !

I wanted to buy 27" and 120 hz but 27 inch is good with 1440 P resoulation and i would have pixel density , after that 120 hz is good for gamers who paly above 120 FPS and not for 80 FPS even though , my videocar can not handle 120 FPS ! ( I have a GTX 570). I think a 24 inch with IPS panel and low respons time/ input lag is Fair decision . I dont like to buy online monitor!

Can you help me and give me an advice ?!

Thanks...

Guys , in the vote i write Please specify your choice. so please tell your suggestion!

If you really want it for gaming I would not settle for anything slower than 2ms. 120hz also makes a pretty big difference as long as you are getting the frames. You aren't going to find one for under $400.

If you really want it for gaming I would not settle for anything slower than 2ms. 120hz also makes a pretty big difference as long as you are getting the frames. You aren't going to find one for under $400.

If you get a 60hz monitor with 10-12ms will it make any difference in games like skyrim?Would it look blurry while moving or any ghosting?

It doesn't have ips panel

If you really think IPS is fast enough for gaming go with an IPS.

Personally I wouldn't settle for anything slower than 2 ms for gaming. To me 8 ms is VERY noticeable and I get frustrated using it for gaming, even 4 ms annoys me a little but it is bearable.

After trying two panels that were IPS from ASUS (VG27AH), I would not recommend them for gaming or movies. Good for general desktop usage. But I was disappointed with the contrast/black levels.

I would recommend TN or VA panels. I have a ASUS VE278Q and its fantastic. Really good contrast, really good blacks, and fast response. Its probably one of the best you can get in terms of TN panels.

Now if you want even better contrast, blacks, and color it looks like BenQ has a winner with its GW2750HM. Its a VA panel. And in a review I saw it beats out my ASUS VE278Q in every regard, except for response time. But the response time is still pretty good.

I gotta say, the 2412 is an amazing monitor for the price. We've gotten them here at work and they are very, very nice. For the price, they are pretty much impossible to beat.

Guys , As you know Monitors with IPS panel have better Quality than TN panel! in some monitors with 8 ms i saw that somebody said it is ok for game ...!

Manufacturer provided response times don't meant anything. Try google searching some reviews and using the thread search function:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1708553

The Dell is fine for gaming as long as you turn off the Overdrive function in the Service Menu (TFT Central's Review will show you how to do this), and the Asus is basically the same.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m-part13.html#Responsiveness

Use google to translate

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-asus-pa248q-teil9.html#Reaktionsverhalten

Only get the Asus over the Dell if you plan on playing console games since the Dell can't scale 16:9 content properly on the PS3. Also, IPS quality control (back-light bleeding and large contrast+gamma variances between the same models) is pretty terrible, so make sure to only buy from places with hassle free return+exchange policies that don't charge restocking fees. It is best to order the Dell U2412 directly from Dell.

You know, I agree 100% with what NCX said. I didn't realize how bad the quality control on IPS was until I decided to replace my U2410 (it began having troubles). I tried one from ASUS (not the ProArt series, admittedly) and it had some serious QC problems (massive backlight bleed), then went with the Dell U2412m and had similar problems. This wasn't a minor amount of bleed, it was huge and very visible. Granted, my S2440L came damaged by Fed Ex, but the replacement monitor has been great. This monitor doesn't hurt my eyes, and I realized that the glare doesn't bother me, plus I changed the room lighting a bit. This monitor has zero bleed and really, I don't notice the overshoot. I know it is there, no doubt, but when I play games, I don't notice anything. I wanted IPS, but the colors are great, very accurate and it feels more smooth than my U2410, especially when I have them side-by-side. Absolutely a joy to explore deviantart, watch Bluray movies and game too. My brother bought an S2440L after I did because he liked it so much, and he has had the same experience. That, coupled with the very positive experience of a friend with the GW2450HM makes me wonder...do the latest A-MVA panels simply have very good quality control, or did we just get lucky? I'm not saying i'm turned off completely to IPS, though. I merely saw personally the apparent poor quality control that he mentioned, but I would be very willing to go with IPS. This A-MVA is just so good at what I want, though, that its hard to part with. It definitely crushes blacks far, far less than my old S-PVA 215TW, too.

As far as IPS goes, I'm still intrigued by the release in March of a replacement to the U2410, but for now i'm going to stick with A-MVA.

Asus VG278HE come on it's simple, I sold U3011 for that monitor, it's worth it, so good for games no blur easy to shoot.

Thanks for help

In Prad reviews ,in response time section for u2412 it say:

The response time is calculated for the black-white transition and the best grey-to-grey change. In addition, the average for our 15 measurement points is given. The data sheet for the DELL model U2412M names a reaction time of eight milliseconds (grey to grey). In our measurements, the fastest shift of grey is determined with a 11.2 milliseconds. Averaging 13.1 milliseconds, the overall response time (back and fourth) for our 15 reading points is not much longer. The differences between light and dark points are therefore low.

and for PA248 :

Asus calls it a response time of 6 milliseconds (GtG). After the reset, the overdrive option Trace Free to the value 60 is set so that we measure 14.0 milliseconds for black and white and 9.5 milliseconds for the fastest gray change. Also averaged over all response time (round trip) for our 15 measured values ​​of 11.9 milliseconds for an IPS panel quite short. However, occur in this setting, even to very significant overshoot in the entire brightness range.

so pa 248 has lower response time than u2412 !

But in other review and coustomer reviews U2412 get 5 stars and Pa248 Get 4 star!

How about input lag ?! which one has lowest?!

It sounds like your mind is already made up that you want an ips panel. I just returned a flawless ips panel due to the input lag. I went from a top player in fps games to a bottom feeder. That is how bad the input lag was. Absolutely beautiful screen but if I cant game on it then it is no good for me. My new asus VG278H came in yesterday and it is flawless. No back light bleed or any other abnormalities. The colors are rich and vibrant but its not quite as true as an ips panel. BUT it is FAST with no input lag and the 120hz makes the games VERY smooth! If you dont play fps games then it may not make any difference to you im not sure. Only you can decide that.

you could consider going www.120hz.net or www.overlordcomputer.com. Or look up Shimian thread in this subforum

They have sold batches of 27 inch 2560x1440 res IPS panels with 60hz or OC versions able to be overclocked to 120hz. They are made from A- LG IPS panels. Granted, many players won't risk buying anything over the net.. But consider it. The forums of those websites offer good feedback if it IS an option to you.

You can buy 60hz catleaps etc from ebay directly, from less then 400 dollar, that are 27 inch, IPS, 2560x1440 resolution if you want direct answer to your question. But there is always risk involved.. The panels might be far from pixel perfect :(

And i haven't seen a single owner complain about input lag for games...

Last edited:
Asus VG278HE come on it's simple, I sold U3011 for that monitor, it's worth it, so good for games no blur easy to shoot.

I had that monitor but the blacks were terrible. They had a blue hue to them no matter I messed with color wise.Other than that though, it was a nice panel.

Dell U2312HM has the lowest input lag that TFTCentral has ever reviewed, mean 0.6ms, max 10ms and the pixperan photos show that it has among the best ghosting and overdrive trailing of all IPS tested to date.
It is a 6-bit e-IPS with AFR so there are compromises to be made, but the numbers and pictures of the review left an overall very good impression of the monitor.
When it comes to gaming it is my bang for the buck panel right now, with 120Hz Catleapsfor deeper budgets.

Forget lcd.. If u want better image quality with better blacks and color saturation go with LCD CCFL panel. After going through 3 different LED i now have an Acer V243h. Great monitor never fgoing back to LED.

Just picked up an LG 23" LED IPS monitor... It's response time is 5ms and looks great with all games. Colors are vibrant with no ghosting

Back