Asus PA248Q and Dell U2412M

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
Is the Asus PA248Q an 8 bit panel? and the Dell U2412M is a 6 bit panel right?

PA248Q have identical wide-gamut panel as U2410 and it's very similar monitor in terms of picture quality. Gamut emulation is the same in both monitors. Asus have slightly better default gamma calibration

I look at the 248Q, and I think I've found my next monitor provided I can handle going from 27" to 24".

Ive been going back and fourth between the PA248Q and the U2412M ..

I finally decided on the PA248Q ..

Just need to find a good price on one and pull the trigger

Ive been going back and fourth between the PA248Q and the U2412M ..

I finally decided on the PA248Q ..

Just need to find a good price on one and pull the trigger

The fact that the 248Q does 1:1 does does it for me. It's basically the same price as the 2412, too. I kinda want to get two.

PA248Q have identical wide-gamut panel as U2410 and it's very similar monitor in terms of picture quality. Gamut emulation is the same in both monitors. Asus have slightly better default gamma calibration

That's tthe PA246Q. The newer PA248Q is a standard gamut W-LED monitor with a nearly identical feature set otherwise.

10e, my bad
I just checked price and it was the same as for previous WCG-CCFL model in my country

The PA248Q is pretty good except for the grainy anti-glare coating and the large contrast variances, just like the U2412. It scales 16:9 material correctly and only has 6.5ms of input lag.

Digital Versus's sample does 750:1 while PRAD's and =DEAD='s (overclockers.ru) do 1100:1 (U2412 varied from 800-1100:1). I've read a bunch of black-light bleeding reports as well. Still it seems like the obvious choice over the Dell U2412 given it's feature set.

i bought the pa248q, only complaint is the backlight bleeding, other than that the monitor is perfect. The build quality and stand are outstanding. I own a yamakasi as well, and I don't feel the text on pa248q grainy. I also play gears of war 3 on this monitor, the 1:1 function worked perfectly on 360. If I can get a backlight bleeding-less pa248q, then this one will be my dream monitor. Sadly in a dark room the backlight bleeding is kind of annoying.

PA248Q...
...has 6.5ms of input lag.
that's interesting, who tested that? is it in the pay to read review on Prad?

I discounted the PA248Q because I thought it was high lag, but maybe I got that from lesnumeriqus/digitalversus, and their lag tests have never been reliable

It's PRAD's review which is free. They don't charge anymore.

i bought the pa248q, only complaint is the backlight bleeding, other than that the monitor is perfect. The build quality and stand are outstanding. I own a yamakasi as well, and I don't feel the text on pa248q grainy. I also play gears of war 3 on this monitor, the 1:1 function worked perfectly on 360. If I can get a backlight bleeding-less pa248q, then this one will be my dream monitor. Sadly in a dark room the backlight bleeding is kind of annoying.

Can you post a picture of the bleed per chance?

I don't feel the text on pa248q grainy.

I don't either and I'm one of the biggest OCD picky-asses I know. ;) Image was very sharp and clean. I did notice the backlight bleeding on the corners and a distinct pinkishness on the right third of the screen (only showed on mostly white or light blue websites - never in gaming. I sent mine back because of that, but I'm starting to think I'll just end up ordering another if Amazon ever gets it in stock for Prime.

First time reading about this monitor, cool to know another decent 24" IPS exists in the sub-$350 range. Been on the fence about picking up a U2412M for the past 6 or 7 months since my 2405fpw is still great.

Just ordered a U2412M from Amazon. Read a ton of expert and user reviews and most are pretty positive (save for Digital Versus). This is the third monitor I've tried in the last month, hopefully this is it.

I got the pa248q about a hour ago, it is replacing my u2410. I really wanted the led tech., the colors are better, the white is more clearer and text too. This is what I wanted, my dell was used when I bought it.

Last edited:
I got the pa248q about a hour ago, it is replacing my u2410. I really wanted the led tech., the colors are better, the white is more clearer and text too. This is what I wanted, my dell was used when I bought it.

Have you noticed any backlight bleed or tinting?

I've expanded my list to include the ZR2440w. Any of you guys have any thoughts on how that might compare? Whatever I get has to do 1:1 mapping for 1080p content.

Have you noticed any backlight bleed or tinting?

I've expanded my list to include the ZR2440w. Any of you guys have any thoughts on how that might compare? Whatever I get has to do 1:1 mapping for 1080p content.

The one I tried bled from all four corners, lame.

Can you post a picture of the bleed per chance?

sorry to keep you waiting. Here you go:

img1125kq.jpg

I ordered one. I guess we'll see how I deal with a 24 inch. Other than that, hopefully it's uniform and doesn't have any pixel defects.

Got my U2412M today. Its much, much better out of the box than the PA248Q I sent back. Backlight is very uniform - way better than the ASUS. I've never had a monitor that hasn't had at least a little edge bleed, but this one is close enough to say it doesn't (well, any worth noticing or worrying about - no LCD panel is perfect. No dead or stuck pixels either. Default color looks better to my eyes as well - the ASUS was too cool on "standard". Going to run my Spyder 2 on it tonight to see how it improves. The ASUS also had more pronounced IPS glow in the bottom corners that doesn't plague the Dell. Gaming performance seems the same - I didn't notice any blurring or overdrive overshoot in either one of them (don't think I'm sensitive to that issue).

I also don't see what all the fuss is about the AG coating. Yes, its there. Its a matte screen. /shrug. Its very hard to notice in anything but the lightest backgrounds (and I have to really strain my eyes to see it). The distance from my eyes to the screen is 28" and its fine. It also looks the same as the PA248Q (which makes sense since they're most likely the same LG panel).

All in all quite pleased with it. For general use and RPG/MMO gaming is seems pretty much ideal. Oh, the ASUS did have one aspect that was better - the forward tilt is a little greater, but for $40 less I can live with it. ;)

Just received my PA248 today and don't see any pixel defects...looks uniform across panel.... bleed in the corners but has beautiful color. Came from a dell 2005FPW and feels good :) ... alas my wife begs to differ on my spending. :)

I know I'm probably just spoiled by Amazon Prime, but... come on Buy.com, ship it. I only ordered it from them for the 45-day return policy and because Amazon didn't have it. Once I saw that Amazon finally had it in stock, I called to cancel the order. They said they "couldn't" because the order was "ready" for shipment already, and that it would "definitely" ship out today. I'm pretty sure they just BS'd me so I'd drop it.

I bought a motherboard from them a year or so ago, and everything was fine. /shrug

They shipped it via "OnTrac", whatever the hell that is. There's a "service commitment time" of Thursday, whatever that means. So I'm guessing I'll have it Thursday.

I don't even know. Remind me not to order from Buy.com if I can help it.

Buy.com does take awhile to ship, but fortunately I have always had good luck with them. I'm sure everything will be fine. Let us know what you think of your PA248Q!

Back