Which Headphones?

Never mind my last question. I would like to know which is better for games and heavy music, the Beyerdynamic 770 or 880? And which version, like consumer, pro etc.? Thanks.

I have both the 770 and 880 2005 consumer editions and enjoy both of them. For gaming the 770s have better sound isolation and more bass. Overall they both sound very close and very good. If you live with and are around others a lot and want isolation and not to disturb them then I'd go with the 770s. As for consumer vs pro, I don't know what the differences are so I can't help you there. I'm sure you'll enjoy either headphone.

Quick question, what is a solid pair of headphones for $160 shipped max? Going to be used for pc music and gaming. Thanks.

rp-21, sale on amazon, "just by the reviews", (reposted because the
previous post was lost).
I do not own them. I have cheaper koss ( $ 30? ) and one higher-end headphone

How do the RP-21's compare to the JVC HA-RX900's? I know the Equations are closed cans, but that's all I know. Thanks.

Now that the AD700's are $85 shipped, are they worth it over the HARX700/900?

Equation RP-21 should be pretty nice. Haven't tried them but I hear they are like a less bassy and less warm pair of Sony MDR-V6. Which is good.

As for AD700, it's up to you. It's best if you could audition them. If not, just buy and try. $85 for the AD700 is a decent deal for a new pair. That usually what used pairs go for.

And WHY did this get unstickied?

Equation RP-21 should be pretty nice. Haven't tried them but I hear they are like a less bassy and less warm pair of Sony MDR-V6. Which is good.

As for AD700, it's up to you. It's best if you could audition them. If not, just buy and try. $85 for the AD700 is a decent deal for a new pair. That usually what used pairs go for.

The best thing to do is to buy a vintage headphone for under 100. The AKG 280 was 250 in 1987. I paid 40.00. The AKG 270 can be had for under a 100 and sold for 270. There are great bargains to be had..The 80's Yamaha Orthodynamic, flagship Y-1 for under 100. Hopefully, I'll get the AKG 140 and Beyerdynamic DT480. Both came out in 1972. From my experience, older is better in regards to price to performance.

I'm wondering the same. Why did such a useful thread get unstickied? :confused:

I'm wondering the same. Why did such a useful thread get unstickied? :confused:

because the original reason it was stickied (to cut down on the same questions being asked over and over again) wasn't working. Plus no one posted in it for a long time.

Ah. Makes sense. But that's the nature of the beat (forums). People post without reading anything, quite often.

NECRO!!!

I need to update this obviously. I will in a few weeks time when I have a final build of my current recipe.

Hope it helps answer ?s about headphones and pc audio in general. I do NOT know everything, nor to I pretend to. I do have a ton of gaming audio experience that I love to share.

It is easy and cheap to get good sound. It is also easy to waste your $$. I want to help people avoid that.

I recently got a pair of ATH-A700 to replace my broken hd555's. I liked them quite a bit better than the HD's. Headband was great and didnt slip and slide around and they had some bass. The problem is they would static shock my ears. So I sent them back.

Do you think the open air AD700 could help on the shocking? It's quite dry in my house.

Any other suggestions? My max is $150.
Mostly listen to metal and a good bit of gaming using a x-fi titanium pro.
They must be comfortable for very long times.

And just for fun I modded the broken hd's to 595. Wasn't impressed. Could be that the plastic around the left ear is broken and it no longer has any pressure on my head. Always having to adjust them.

I will quit ranting now

They cost a bit more but totally worth the extra $$. The most comfortable, good for everything headphones that are open are the $200-ish Beyerdynamics 880s. Most comfortable earpads I have had short of some very expensive leather ones. Sound is especially suited for gaming and is very good for metal. The 32ohm version will work fine out of the X-FI.

Check out headfi for some used gear. Feel free to ask me about the deal. Usually the best deal for headphones are used b/c people try them and sell them pretty quickly. Often, they are barely used at all.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/540410/fs-ft-beyerdynamic-dt880-32-ohm-for-akg-701-702

Weird that the AD-700s did that. Might be that they were not properly grounded. I had some IEMS do that.

I recently got a pair of ATH-A700 to replace my broken hd555's. I liked them quite a bit better than the HD's. Headband was great and didnt slip and slide around and they had some bass. The problem is they would static shock my ears. So I sent them back.

Do you think the open air AD700 could help on the shocking? It's quite dry in my house.

Any other suggestions? My max is $150.
Mostly listen to metal and a good bit of gaming using a x-fi titanium pro.
They must be comfortable for very long times.

And just for fun I modded the broken hd's to 595. Wasn't impressed. Could be that the plastic around the left ear is broken and it no longer has any pressure on my head. Always having to adjust them.

I will quit ranting now

call up Sennheiser and get replacement parts for your 555's

my headband went to hell on my hd595s and I ordered a new one for ~ $30

took a wee bit of soldering, but they are back to better than new condition.

Back