Which ebook reader should I buy

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
Which ebook reader should I buy?

Here are my requirements
1. Reads all formats (especially open source/free book type formats) such as you would find at Wikibooks/project Gutenberg etc.
2. No wireless/wifi (I don't want or need wireless)
3. Has an eink or similar type screen (not a backlit screen)
4. Fairly low cost (my use is basic reading and I don't need lots of features)
5. Does not require signing up for any accounts or linking it to any accounts to use it

1 and 2 kind of restrict it to almost nothing. The e-book readers you see out there right now all have their own pet format and won't do anything else. The few other ones that did exist for a while got stomped out of existence by the Kindle.
Far as wireless goes, that's a few cents to throw into a e-reader so pretty much everything you see is going to have it. Nothing stops you from never using it though.
If you want something that'll read more than .mobi or .epub (I think the Barnes and Noble ones do epub) you're probably restricted to buying an older Kindle and hacking it to run something else.
Realistically it's super easy to convert between .mobi and .epub and there's next to no loss of information given they're both HTML based. There's online tools to do such or offline ones such as caliber.

As long as you can turn off wireless and it's not going to turn itself on all the time and waste power and especially as long as I don't have to use it to activate the device like kindle.

Wow I had no idea there was no general product available today.

That's disappointing.

Don't people read any books not supplied by one of the big brand name online stores?

I'm very new to all this, I've never used an ereader before.

Is it common that you have to activate them via wireless and sign up for accounts just to use them? Do a lot of them have that problem or is it only the kindle?

Last edited:
I use a Kindle Paper White and really like it. It is easy to read in the sun and you can set it on airplane mode and it will stay there. I do not use a lot of ebook formats, most of mine come from Amazon, but I have downloaded many books from the Black Library website and use Calibre to convert them without problems. I think Calibre will handle other formats and convert them as well, it is free, but donations are a good thing. It is worth a look. Good luck.

I bought a kindle but I took it back once I realised you couldn't use it without using wifi (which I don't have) and also signing up for an Amazon account.

I don't like this sort of system, I just want to buy a product outright that is not tied to anything or requires any sort of 'activation' or wifi connection to work.

I am not familiar with any ebook formats yet but one book I wanted on wikibooks was in pdf format only, I looked at an example book on project Gutenberg and it seemed to be available in a few formats.
So I guess I would definitely want pdf support.

If I did use an online book store at some stage in the future, I would want one that supports paypal.

Is it common for ebook readers to require wifi activation to even turn it on, or is that only kindle?

Last edited:
With no marketplace to support sales, I don't see how any company can produce a standalone ereader and stay in business.

The Raspberry pi community is making strides in eink display projects, but they are postcard size.

Ok, I guess this is an amazon supported forum so it's probably not the best place to ask about other brands.

I'm not saying the kindle isn't a good ereader, I just want a different one that is not tied to any particular service.

Like I said in your other post, all you do is activate the kindle on your free Amazon account and that's it.
you don't have to have buy from Amazon or anything, you just upload your books direct to the device with the USB cable.
I have a small paper white unit that I bought used on craigslist for $25, it was in brand new condition with 2 cases. I just copied over my ebooks I had downloaded onto the device and can read them whenever and where ever I want.

Do other popular brands also require activation and accounts via wifi?

It could be ok if you could activate it via usb but I'd rather one that you don't have to activate at all.

AS mentioned earlier, just get a kindle paperwhite and turn off the wifi. Then just use calibre to feed it. Calibre, which is free, will handle managing your ebook library, all the conversions as to formats and uploading to your ereader via USB. It's a great program. I donated to the author.

I would recommend against buying a PRS-600-- the interface is sluggish and the semi-glossy screen causes enough glare to make the thing unreadable at many angles, even in direct sunlight. A Paperwhite + Calibre would be much better IMHO.

Last edited:
I would recommend against buying a PRS-600-- the interface is sluggish and the semi-glossy screen causes enough glare to make the thing unreadable at many angles, even in direct sunlight. A Paperwhite + Calibre would be much better IMHO.

Sadly, you're pretty on-point with most of that. Even though I suggested that unit, I do know it's deficient in some areas. But, at least they can be had in the $40-50 range at this point.

lol read this in the first link.
"Kobo Aura HD is a limited edition Wi-Fi powered Kobo model"

It makes it sound as though it uses Tesla's energy transmission system instead of batteries lol

amazon sold a lot of their first rounds at a loss so they kind of snuffed out the competition. I can see wanting to avoid the amazon product, but wifi is a "must have" for most of the consumer market so finding one without it is unlikely. As for activation, just make up an account with fake details if you're worried about tracking. Amazon subsidizes their products so they can sell you junk, and other companies either want the same or to at least rope you into their ecosystem to increase switching cost.

You can buy a used amazon reader and use a fake account and then go through the other steps above for the calibre app. No tracking, no support for amazon, but you get a good quality reader that is stable. If you have to use wifi activate, go sit in a mcdonalds parking lot or go to the library and use their wifi just for the activation part.

I get a tinfoil hat kind of vibe from your request, but I think you just don't see that your request is niche and unprofitable, so it will take some work on your end to get a working product that meets your needs.

Ok thanks, seems strange that wifi is a must have for reading a book though.

So is amazon the only brand that requires you to activate it via wifi? Or do they all do that?

Last edited:
[U]ber|Noob;1041626242 said:
Ok thanks, seems strange that wifi is a must have for reading a book though.

So is amazon the only brand that requires you to activate it via wifi? Or do they all do that?

wifi isn't required for reading the books, it's only required for Registering the device and for easily purchasing/borrowing books wirelessly.

I have the older Kindle 6" Paper white non-touch and I like it.
kindle%20zepher.jpg

I copied all of these files straight to the device with USB, but I can't remember if they were .mobi already or if I converted them, since it's been a while and I only did it once.
kindle%20folder.jpg

A point on any Sony you might be considering is that they no longer operate their own bookstore. Now, you go through Kobo's online bookstore. It's not a problem at all. I use Sony's reader app on my desktop PC because it natively handles .epub files.

I have the older Kindle 6" Paper white non-touch and I like it.
kindle%20zepher.jpg

I copied all of these files straight to the device with USB, but I can't remember if they were .mobi already or if I converted them, since it's been a while and I only did it once.
kindle%20folder.jpg

Good reading list, but where is Ringworld and The Integral Trees?

[U]ber|Noob;1041624131 said:
Do other popular brands also require activation and accounts via wifi?

It could be ok if you could activate it via usb but I'd rather one that you don't have to activate at all.

Yes. All popular brands require this. The unpopular brands don't so that is where you will need to look. However unpopular brands suck ass and either lack proper support or have suspect build quality.

The nooks are great and can be rooted and wiped clean of the B&N interface and would probably like be your best bet. Kindles are the reigning king of e-readers for a reason and if serious about reading those are the ones to look at but as you seem aghast at the prospect of registering a device they aren't for you.

Good reading list, but where is Ringworld and The Integral Trees?

Ringworld is in there, but I don't know about The Integral Trees.
There are 175 items on my Kindle and 99% of the items are Larry Niven books and short stories.

I'm not really that fussy about the small factors that might make one slightly better than others, as long as I can read a book without any major problems any brand would be fine. I'll look at the nook ones.

Also I'm not sure what features the more expensive ones have but I think I will just need a simple basic one.

The only feature I require is an eink type of screen (non backlit).

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you're so opposed to the Kindle. I regularly read from project Guttenberg, Google books, and a variety of other formats and files on mine. It is perfect for what you want minus the setup requirements. If you don't have WiFi then use a public access point, make an account, and then never use Amazon again. Amazon doesn't require the account to check what books your reading or what formats you are using but to tie you into their ecosystem so you'll buy their books. You seem to be making this considerably harder then it is for whatever reason.

Well when I got it and realised I had to have wifi to use it someone said that it was a silly choice to buy it if I knew I didn't have wifi. So I got the impression that that particular brand/model of ereader was a wifi model and another model/brand would have been more suitable. So I took it back quickly in case it became too late. The store was quite good about returning it since it didn't say it needed wifi on the box and they didn't have any other brands to choose instead.

Since I've already taken it back now I am just looking for a different one that doesn't require wifi to work.

I don't mind if it has wifi just as long as it doesn't require wifi, although if I could get a cheaper one without wifi that would be great.

I'm sure amazon kindles are good for lots of people and it sounds good etc. But since I took it back I'm not going to buy another one.

My only real complaint about the kindle is that they should write it on the box that it requires wifi. I don't care how they sell their products/ecosystems etc.

Last edited:
I really think most of them will require you to have an account of some sort to register them. There's no reason you couldn't have created an Amazon account, registered it from a coffee house or other "free" wifi, and just never bothered to buy anything from the Amazon store for it. You're most likely going to end up doing the same thing even with a Nook, unless I'm mistaken. I assume you need a Barnes and Noble account for them, too. Also, an Apple account is completely different from an Amazon, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, or most other retailer accounts, so I'm not sure why you're so opposed to using one. They may be registered, but that's mostly for tech support purposes, so they have the info there in your account when you call them. It's just supposed to make life easy, it's not like Amazon or Barnes and Noble are the only supported ebooks that can be put on them (though I admit I'm not as familar with how Nooks work). I think you would have been better off with the Kindle, but it's too late now since you won't buy another one.

FYI, you can put nearly any ebook you want onto an iPad, too, with the right app. I've added some I've gotten from Humble eBook\Comic Bundles, which are in no way tied to the Apple Store.

All of the latest-generation tech e-paper readers likely have WiFi and may require/use a one-time setup with their partner storefront. If you want to get away from this, you may have to find cheaper china-knockoff types which may lack hardware quality, or look for older products. However, keep in mind that that you can nearly always, with a little bit of work, USB Tether for a connection from one of your other PCs if you don't wish to use wireless.

Many would say a Kindle Paperwhite is the best option but if you're not interested in those, the Nook (whatever their newest e-paper variant might be) is another alternative. However, Nooks probably require activation with Barnes And Noble so that may not interest you either. Kobo may be a good alternative for you - they are now owned by Rakuten and have some sort of store/account option for borrowing/buying books, but I don't know the particulars. The Kobo Glo HD is from best I can tell, the closet thing to Kindle Paperwhite in terms of technology.

Don't forget that Android devices make excellent e-readers as well, if you don't mind the display tradeoffs (you get high resolution, color, and full Android app utility, at the cost of battery life). If you don't want to have to use a Google account at all, I suggest buying a Nexus tablet; its possible flash a custom ROM without any Google applications, if you want such a thing (or debloating/removing G-apps from a stock rom, once rooted). The Nexus 9 is a great tablet for reading/media consumption, well built, and powerful. However, if you don't want to pay that much, let me suggest a used Nexus 7 (2013 edition). It is still powerful enough to run just about anything, has a smaller 7" display, and thanks to its Nexus designation can run the latest Android versions without any trouble. Its pretty much the best price/performance tablet around, being originally built as a high end item, and thus more powerful and better quality than anything else on the market in its price range (ie so called budget tablets).

Thanks some good suggestions. I'll have to look at some of those ereaders.

I don't see why the companies involved seem to make it so you cannot register with usb. Anyone explain why?

Although I don't really want a tablet since I was hoping to get a non backlit screen technology that can be read outside and also to avoid eye strain.
I don't suppose there are any tablets with eink type of screens (non backlit)?

[U]ber|Noob;1041640468 said:
Thanks some good suggestions. I'll have to look at some of those ereaders.

I don't see why the companies involved seem to make it so you cannot register with usb. Anyone explain why?

Although I don't really want a tablet since I was hoping to get a non backlit screen technology that can be read outside and also to avoid eye strain.
I don't suppose there are any tablets with eink type of screens (non backlit)?

Money, that's why, if you register with them you're more likely to buy something through them. Hence why all of the major players have their own ebook stores and require an account to register the device, even if you never intend to use the store.

Far as eink tablets go, nothing that i've seen, the refresh rate on eink is kind of abysmal, it's more suited to whole screen once in a while for book pages still. The best right now still looks like one of the kindle paperwhites, some of those have a light up screen. (it's not backlit but it is lit up, amazon calls it a front light)

I found this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002O...bre+reader&dpPl=1&dpID=515k3kDucHL&ref=plSrch

It looks to hit all your criteria. With decent to good reviews.

Curious that while browsing it, there was a question asked whether it has wifi (answer: no) and one was purchased. Perhaps you found this listing already?

Edit: I have the sony reader (prs-t2). Barring the occasional freezes (totally annoying - maybe fixed on prs-t3) I don't recall having to register it online. And I've performed many full wipes on it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had this problem awhile back, got a kobo some time ago. Was good for reading epub, wasnt so good with pdf. If you can go with charging the device more often, a lower end Android tablet can be used for almost all filetypes.

Back