• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which do you Prefer? Nvidia or ATi

Which Company do you prefer....

  • ATi

    Votes: 170 46.3%
  • NVidia

    Votes: 197 53.7%

  • Total voters
    367
I am a DIE HARD nVidia fan!!

I've never owned an ATI.. I got put off in their first lines of cards (the rage, xpert, etc).. I had the GF2 MX440, then the GF3 ti 200, and the FX5600 cards and loved it (I heard all of the problems with the FX, but never experienced them).. Now I've got the 6600GT and it runs like a dream :D!! I can't afford the SLI right now, but it's going to come in very handy later!! With the growing support for SLI, I don't think I'm ever going to the dark side..


Jonathan
 
jbruneau said:
I am a DIE HARD nVidia fan!!

I've never owned an ATI.. I got put off in their first lines of cards (the rage, xpert, etc).. I had the GF2 MX440, then the GF3 ti 200, and the FX5600 cards and loved it (I heard all of the problems with the FX, but never experienced them).. Now I've got the 6600GT and it runs like a dream :D!! I can't afford the SLI right now, but it's going to come in very handy later!! With the growing support for SLI, I don't think I'm ever going to the dark side..


Jonathan

You do realize that is a very stupid move, never be loyal to one brand, you always should get the one with the best price:performance ratio. You lucked out with the 6600GT, though, because for the price range it is the best card available.
 
Whatever has the best card for price performance ratio out there. I got this 6800NU for $220 and it's great, had ATI had a $200-300 card back then (they have the X800XL now) then it would have been different, or maybe not. I had a negative attitude towards Nvidia after I found out that the Geforce MX was in my gateway (although that's what got me into computers). After getting a 9600XT and loving that I though I would always be an ATI guy, but It's all about Price/performance.
 
i like them both. my current 9800xt is very good, no problems whatsoever. I had a onboard gf2 and that treated pretty well for 3 years. i got my 9800xt from a guy who was in need of better linux support , so he went nvidia.
since i'll probably only be playing source for a long time, i think i'll be sticking with ati though, at least until both sides come out with a couple new revisionsm, then i'll see
 
Shoulda added a I dont care what company!!!!
I've had em all but I just dont care since most have been low end crap.
I loved my 6600gt but I LOve my 800xl too,. SO Im in the middle..
 
Well I prefer ATI becuase that is what came in my laptop, I never really cared before. I like ATI becuase that is what I have gotten used to and I like their performance. You can debate back and forth all year, but things change and they will continue to.
 
Right now I'd go with Nvidia. Next time around it could be ATi. For me it just really depends on which company currently has the better product (although that could be debated as well). I went from an Ti 4400 right to a 6800GT, so I missed out on the 9800 glory days of ATi.
 
I may have a slight preference for some of ATI's technology and approach, but it's just that...slight. As for which 'company' I prefer, right now it's Nvidia hands down. The availability of high-end ATI parts for the past year has been laughable. I'm truly disappointed in the paper release strategy that they've had. I'm also sick of the 14 year old who bought the only X800XT/PE that newegg.com sold in the month of September who keeps posting "It's not vaporware! I got mine!"
 
i go with best price/performance also..no brand loyalty
wanted to get the 8500 and 9800 cards but didn't have a job then.. after i got a job..i got the 6800gt from compusa for $330 (after coupon) and love it
of course after trying out doom3 and other 3d games, went back to playing old diablo 2 and solitaire..
 
lithium726 said:
this is stupid.

i like them both :) they trade blows every gen and i get what will give me the best bang for buck when i am ready to buy. 2 years ago, that was a 9600pro, 8 months ago, that was the 6800GT.

thats exactly how i feel as well, but right now im liking ati cause i have an unlocked x800 pro @16 pipes and oc/ed to XT PE spds
:D
 
Although İ always buy the best price/performance cards İ have always liked the İQ of the radeons over the geforce series. Maybe its just me.......
 
I appricate all the professional comments. I decided to throw this out their because I just wanted to see what brand was liked more. Me and my buddy here got into it over which brand of Soda/Pop whatever you call it is better. Pepsi or Coke :) hes not a computer geek so I cant have an intelligent convo with him... so I was like hrmmm... ATi Or Nvidia :p my buddy would be like :confused:

Keep them comming. Thanks !
 
I like both brands, I own the AGP BFG Geforce 6800GT OC, MSI's NX6600GT PCI-E and now that I'm about to get a Shuttle SN25P I went with the ATI X800 XL PCI-E because it was $125 cheaper than the BFG's 6800GT OC PCI-E and it performed as well as the BFG in all games except for Doom 3 since Nvidia cards rule in this game. ATI needs to step up the pace on it's linux drivers as the primary function of the SN25P I'm getting is to run linux.
 
I really have no preference, but I own 5 Nvidia cards (TnT2,GF3,GF4MX,GF4Ti,6800) so thats what I voted
 
i have always been for nvidia, but i got a 9600 when i needed a cheap video card and i have been impressed.
 
Nvidia is usually on top of the game when I'm ready to upgrade (every 3 years). Unfortunately, they were not last time as is obvious in my sig... :(
 
Nvidia presents a better stratification of products in general. At forums like [H] we tend to focus mostly on super high end cards and such, which is fine, but lest we forget Nvidia's 6200 card. AWESOME product. The 6600GT is also a stellar performer for the price. Everything from these lower-end cards to the ridiculously powerful, and somewhat superfluous SLI rounds out a very healthy selection of products.

Additionally, to me, Nvidia's products are more overclocker friendly. I enjoy being able to adjust certain things like voltage options in the BIOS easily, whereas with ATI you have to do that stupid "pencil mod". Coolbits is also a very nice utility built into to the Forcewear driver. Which brings me to my next point.

I MUCH prefer Nvidia's driver software. ATI's drivers are just awful in every area except performance, which I cannot attest to since I haven't owned an ATI card in a while, but everything else about them is garbage.

No question that ATI sells the better product for high IQ (image quality) applications. This is their only significant counterpoint IMO. If it weren't for this I wouldn't have thought twice about buying my 6800GT months ago. I also give ATI props for the x800xl.

I buy what I think is best. Right now I have a strong preference for Nvidia.
 
I had a bad experience with ATI on my first real computer. It was an emachine E-one. you know, the ones that looked like the apple machines, so much so that apple sued. The piece of junk was COMPLETELY unupgradeable, was slow even in its prme, and you couldnt even upgrade any drivers on ANYTHING. I think they denied making the model, and dropped support for it after they lost the lawsuit.

Ever since, ive gone with NvIdia (which has been a geforce 3 and more recently 6600GT). Although I'll probably give ATI another shot the next time arond. I blame emachines for that monstrosity.
 
I like ATi, but I'm pissed at them for their current gen cards. So I just bought a 6800NU.
Voted ATi though :p
 
I went with ATI as when I purchased my PCI express card the X850XT was the best option. I am not dumb enough to fall for SLI. One card is expensive enough. Then there is the cost of SLI boards. About the time your ready to roll here comes the next upgrade cycle. No thanks. :p
 
I chose Nvidia, simply because I personally have never owned an ATI card. My Brother bought an ATI 9800Pro and it is simply Awesome. Both cards do what they need to do are simply great. For me though, when I am ready to upgrade it always ends up that Nvidia is the leader at the time and I naturally go with them, perhaps when I am ready to upgrade again, ATI will be the clear winner and I'll go with them :)
 
My first ever high-end graphics card was an Nvidia GeForce TI4600, and it was awesome. Then came Christmas of '03 and I was really starting to itch for DX9 capability, so I bought an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO. It rocked even harder. The GeForce got handed down to my little brother. Then the 9800 started cropping up problems that I could never quite pinpoint. Random lockups and whatnot. So I sold the 9800 and bought it's bigger brother, the 9800XT. Since then I've never had a single problem.

On the Hardware side, the GeForce was the last great card to not need external power, and it was a litle workhorse. The 9800XT is a damnsight faster, but heats up real crazy-like and made me fear for my poor little SoundBlaster Live's life, prompting me to move it down a slot.

On the software side, Nvidia's device drivers were always good, but the UI used to SUCK. I got to play around with a new ForceWare installation the other day, and I'll go ahead and say that between the context menus and the relatively unobtrusive tray icon, they've cleaned their acts up majorly.

ATI's drivers have been consistantly good from the get-go. More or less everything you could need is 4 clicks away in the advanced options window under display settings. I was especially wowed by the performance jump gained when ATI enabled Temporal AA directly in driver. 4x Temporal AA is more than I need for most games as my monitor only goes up to 1152x864 at a comfortable refresh rate, and it keeps the framerates in newer games relatively high.

As for newer next-gen hardware (X8XX ATI series, and 6XXX Nvidia series), I'm still drooling and saving money for a PCIx card and a motherboard/processor to match. So I can't really say much in that department.

Anyways, them's my two cents.
 
My first PC (a Dell) came with a GeF3Ti200 back in April '02. And coming from a Mac with a ATI Radeon 32mb Mac Edition it was a HUGE step up. Graphics looked 100x better. And my PC didn't crash all the time like the Mac did. So of course I was an Nvidia fan fo' life yo.

Bought a Ti4600 to upgrade. Was disappointed spending 400 dollars and only seeing a slight improvement in frame rates. At least I was able to run higher details. Still an Nvidia fan fo' life yo.

After upgrading my Dell with a faster CPU and more ram I decided one more graphics card upgrade wouldn't hurt. Well wouldn't you know, the FX line came to town. A loud hot double slot leaf blower!! And crap DX9 support. No thanks. And after hearing all the rave about the 9700Pro I started to look into ATI again. Then the 9800Pro was announced. I HAD to have it. Even if it meant leaving my bestest friend Nvidia.

9800Pro days lasted quite some time. Enough time in fact for ATI to completely win me over. The driver support, the stability, the overclockability, everything was shweet. I watched Nvidia play catch-up with the 5900/5950 and was glad I found a new friend.

As for today, I'm still happy to be with ATI. I've watched Nvidia make some HUGE improvements to their hardware. In fact for a while, I was leaning towards a 6800U because I couldn't get my hands on a x800xtpe immediately. Unfortunately, availability of the Ultras was just as crappy as the xtpe's. Over 2 months working around got me the xtpe first. I couldn't be happier with ATI's new cards. The performance boost really was almost 2x that of a 9800Pro. In benches and GPU dependent games. Nvidias line has some awesome power behind it also. However I do not like Nvidias marketing practices as of late. I think SLI is a scam. Seeing 2x the score of single slot solutions in benches but NOT in games is very very deceiving.

So I have to lean towards ATI. I've been very very happy owning flagship cards from them for over 2 years now.
 
I had not really realized this until I bought my 6800GT a few months back, but I'm an nvidia fan. I have always had one, and more than likely will have one until they fail miserably (makes me think of the FX line). The only ATI card I have ever had was a 7500 AIW that I bought for my HTPC a while ago (it just came out at the time).

But these are the cards that I have owned for my own personal computer.
Diamond Edge 3D (NV1) even upgraded the RAM can't remember if it was 2MB or 4MB (pm me if you know). Over $600 CDN when I bought it in '95, and because this card BLEW I was forced to buy a Voodoo to run next to it later on. From there I went to a TNT paired with the Voodoo II (8MB :( ) I was running with me edge 3D.

Then the one I was probably the happiest with when I bought it, the wonderfull TNT2 Ultra.

Then when the Geforce DDR finally hit the shelves got me one of those. Skipped the Geforce 2. Got a Geforce 3 ti200 (o/c'd the crap outta that one :p ), then my ti4200..... Skipped the entire FX line (it was at this point that I almost purchased an ATI card). Lived in pain with my 4200 until the 6800GT's were finally in (pre-order) at a retailer in Winnipeg (not a fan of online shopping).

Not sure how accurate I am with all this, but hey I did my best. Now I want to cry because I realize how much $$$ I have spent on just video cards....... why am I a gamer, why???? on that note I have been playing vids as long as I can remember (dad use to own an arcade also :cool: )

I'll leave my console systems for another post at another time..... yes I am bored.
 
well let me bring this up ... people always talk about price : performance ratio ...

especially nVidia people

if you truly believe that nVidia is the best option for price : performance ratio then shouldn't 2 video cards which cost twice the price give you twice the performance ?

I don't think so .. it gives you at max 1.5 times the performance if you're lucky and not only that it's a little better than an x850 xt pe .. which costs a lot less .. you don't have to buy a specific motherboard (1 of the only 4) for compatibility

so if you add up all the costs to use SLi

new motherboard
2 video cards
new psu atleast 500W for pci-e

you just got yourself the worst price : performance ratio in all cards today
 
mohammedtaha said:
well let me bring this up ... people always talk about price : performance ratio ...

especially nVidia people

if you truly believe that nVidia is the best option for price : performance ratio then shouldn't 2 video cards which cost twice the price give you twice the performance ?

I don't think so .. it gives you at max 1.5 times the performance if you're lucky and not only that it's a little better than an x850 xt pe .. which costs a lot less .. you don't have to buy a specific motherboard (1 of the only 4) for compatibility

so if you add up all the costs to use SLi

new motherboard
2 video cards
new psu atleast 500W for pci-e

you just got yourself the worst price : performance ratio in all cards today

thats funny ive never seen sli brought up in the price/performace ratio conversation. sli is just the fastest, and it comes at a cost.
 
I was excited about switching to nVidia for the first time in my life with my new 6800 GT card. And what do you know, the moment I switch to nVidia, the great driver support my friends always raved about goes completely down the toilet. Quite frankly, nVidia needs to get its fucking act together. Two official driver releases in eight months is just unacceptable. ATi is really starting to steal nVidia's thunder on this front.

While nVidia has really made up some ground in the IQ department, their cards in general still suffer from more IQ issues than ATi's. Not only this, but ATi's cards consistently outperform nVidia's in DirectX games, and there are more of these on the market than OpenGL games.

As far as SLI is concerned, I think the technology is absolute shit and not at all worth the pricetag. A single card like the 6800 Ultra consistently outperforms any SLI setup (aside from two 6800 Ultras, of course). I think nVidia should concentrate on getting some fucking drivers out the door instead of this SLI bullshit, which will hopefully be extinct within a generation.

I am very happy with my 6800 GT and do not regret choosing this card. However, I think the only things keeping ATi from being the clear winner in this generation are (1) lack of availability and (2) saturation of the market with about a dozen fucking card models.
 
I'd have to say that I'm an nVidia fan, but when the day comes that I feel that ATi has the better card, I'll have no problem with switching over.

I'm really anxious to see what ATi has up their sleeve in this next gen of cards. AMR and the R520 (24 pipelines with the performance of 32? :eek: ) look very promising, and if they are on top, I'll buy them. :)
 
Nvidia for me, their dual monitor support works far better at what I want than ATI.
 
for some reason i prefer nvidia's current lineup over ati's. but somehow i ended up getting an ati x800xl :( when i wanted a 6800gt instead. oh well price difference does matter!!!
 
Clownboat said:
I was excited about switching to nVidia for the first time in my life with my new 6800 GT card. And what do you know, the moment I switch to nVidia, the great driver support my friends always raved about goes completely down the toilet. Quite frankly, nVidia needs to get its fucking act together. Two official driver releases in eight months is just unacceptable. ATi is really starting to steal nVidia's thunder on this front.

While nVidia has really made up some ground in the IQ department, their cards in general still suffer from more IQ issues than ATi's. Not only this, but ATi's cards consistently outperform nVidia's in DirectX games, and there are more of these on the market than OpenGL games.

As far as SLI is concerned, I think the technology is absolute shit and not at all worth the pricetag. A single card like the 6800 Ultra consistently outperforms any SLI setup (aside from two 6800 Ultras, of course). I think nVidia should concentrate on getting some fucking drivers out the door instead of this SLI bullshit, which will hopefully be extinct within a generation.

I am very happy with my 6800 GT and do not regret choosing this card. However, I think the only things keeping ATi from being the clear winner in this generation are (1) lack of availability and (2) saturation of the market with about a dozen fucking card models.

don't hold back man...tell us how you really feel...;)

When SLI was first announced I thought it was amazing...then I saw how a lot of games couldn't fully utilize it and I started to think of it more as a novelty...with the latest drivers though, they've shown their dedication to SLI and I think they are intent on using the technology from here on out...

In all seriousness...everything is up to R520...if ATi hit's one out of the park again...they'll be right back in the lead...if not...Nvidia will be in an excellent position to steal a good bit of their market share over the next couple of years...
 
I think when SLI was used back in the day with Voodoo 2 Cards, it was sweet.... It worked with every game and did things a different way... and it should be the same way now... it sucks it isnt. but oh well..

BTW: ATi is getting ready to announce the R520...

What does NVidia bringing to the table??? any one know? or have any ideas
 
I want to vote ATI but I think nVidia has better cards right now....very impressed with 6600Gt and 6800 U.
 
I'm going to like the company that doesn't forget about those of us that will still have an AGP 8x motherboard when they release their next generation of video cards. Especially with dual core processors being compatible with current socket 939/940 mobos, I don't plan on getting upgrading that until I absolutely have to. A next generation card with 512mb of video memory would be nice for AGP 8x.
 
mohammedtaha said:
well let me bring this up ... people always talk about price : performance ratio ...

especially nVidia people

if you truly believe that nVidia is the best option for price : performance ratio then shouldn't 2 video cards which cost twice the price give you twice the performance ?

I don't think so .. it gives you at max 1.5 times the performance if you're lucky and not only that it's a little better than an x850 xt pe .. which costs a lot less .. you don't have to buy a specific motherboard (1 of the only 4) for compatibility

so if you add up all the costs to use SLi

new motherboard
2 video cards
new psu atleast 500W for pci-e

you just got yourself the worst price : performance ratio in all cards today

No one said SLI was supposed to be a good value .It's not meant to do that, it is meant to be the fastest, most ridiculous, most expensive product on the market... It is a flagship product, and these are NEVER a good value no matter what company is making them. Consider the guy a few pages back that said he prefers AMD to Intel because they offer better price : performance. Would you tell him AMD has poor price : performance just because of the FX-55? Get real.
 
My first real graphics card I(or I should say we, as a family, had in our pc) was a Geforce2 Ti (64mb ddr) -> upgrade from an ati rage 4mb... I was so pleased with the performance, that when I built my own system(with a 800 duron, it wasn't exactly a powerhouse) I purchased an MSI Geforce2 Ti-Pro off ebay($31, can't beat that! keep in mind this was years ago) After that system started becoming unable to handle the games I was playing I finally dumped a bunch of money into a new system. With that came a radeon 9800 pro. I drooled at the geforce4 4000 ti series, but I heard bad things about the fx series, so I went with ati, and can't say I've been dissapointed. Although if I think nvidia has "the edge" (and the price!) I wouldn't hesitate to go back, right now I'm perfectly happy with my ati purchase. :)
 
zeebs said:
No one said SLI was supposed to be a good value .It's not meant to do that, it is meant to be the fastest, most ridiculous, most expensive product on the market... It is a flagship product, and these are NEVER a good value no matter what company is making them. Consider the guy a few pages back that said he prefers AMD to Intel because they offer better price : performance. Would you tell him AMD has poor price : performance just because of the FX-55? Get real.


You guys are obviously confused !!


If anyone asks what's the best card out there ... the cards that are always called out is the x800xt pe for AGP and the x850xt pe for pci-e

but if you read each post .. if the person says money isn't an issue ... the 6800gt is always the best price : performance card !

I don't remember the thread starter ever asking what's the best price : performance card out there

Best single card for every day games is either the x800 xt pe or the x850 xt pe. PERIOD

If this topic is about what's the best video card producing company ... it's obviously ATi ... why ? They produce the best card for today's games and tomorrows and do not try to add in features which their cards can't handle. They release monthly driver updates which clears up issues that people might be having. I would rather have monthly updates than surprising updates like nVidia !!

SLi when using the 6800 gt and the 6800 ultra is the best option for todays games. That's very obvious but nVidia can not just drop that technology especially when there are people who bought the motherboards to use it for today and tomorrow.

If nVidia drops it, I will guarantee that they will lose a huge fan base.

Back to the price : performance. The problem ATi is not doing as well, financially as nVidia, is because they did not release a card that matches the 6800gt. IF they did then ATi would have taken most of the enthusiast market.

Almost everyone who bought an ATi card loved it. Almost everyone who switched from nVidia to ATi loves their new card. Almost everyone who moved from ATi to nVidia wishes he wouldn't have made such a dumb move. I said ALMOST

SM 3.0 is useless for gaming. Unless you have SLi, it is useless. NO nVidia card can handle it well. It is not needed. It does make a difference, but at the expense of many frames. That's probably one of the reasons that made ATi not use sm3 .. It's useless, especially when 2.0b is great and does not cut down fps.

The performance of nVidia cards is really good. Don't get me wrong. The comparisson in lighting, details AA and AF is just not the same. They can not match ATi cards.

You can look at each review where the cards where matched and look at how bright and perfect the ATi colours are. The smoothness in AA and AF suprasses the nVidia cards. Although it is not as clear in some games.

Another downside to ATi cards is openGL. IF they had improved openGL which isn't thaaat important, since only 1 game so far implements it, then they would've snatched away many 6800ultra buyers.



This round could've been one by ATi but their problems were many.

Low supply of 1.6ns memory chips
Bad openGL
No card that matches the 6800gt

If I forgot something or said something wrong then please correct me.

Thankyou for reading :D

I was planning on buying the 6800 ultra. It was more expensive than the x800 xt pe in Canada and it was CLEAR that ATi beat the 6800 Ultra in every game but Doom 3 and another one which was too close to call. My decision was made clear. I also read every single review before I made my decision.
 
Back
Top