Which air cooler to replace the 212?

Hello all, I'm going to be getting a Ryzen 1500X soon and I'd like to venture into overclocking for the first time and would be aiming to hit 3.9/4.0 providing I get a good chip.

I need a replacement for my 212 and would like to stick with air if possible.

My question is, which would provide the better cooling between the Cryorig H5 Universal and the BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 (not pro 3 as it wont fit) and would it be a good difference over the 212?

Price as of right now is approx £46 for H5 and £68 for DR3.

Also, how does the noise compare to the 212?

Thanks!

Noctua’s flagship model NH-D15 is the way to go if you're going air especially with Ryzen. You do know the Ryzen is a heater, right?

Sadly the noctua won't fit as my case has a max height of 161. From what I've seen about the Temps on the 1500x, it reached 49C @ 4.0GHz on its stock cooler.

20170412_033941.jpg

D14 RAM clearance is fine for me, they use a slightly smaller fan on one side to clear RAM.

No idea if it's better than a DR3 or H5. When I was poking around for a new cooler it looked like one of the best coolers I could get without figment issues.

Also I REALLY like the Noctua mounting system.

D14 RAM clearance is fine for me, they use a slightly smaller fan on one side to clear RAM.

No idea if it's better than a DR3 or H5. When I was poking around for a new cooler it looked like one of the best coolers I could get without figment issues.

Also I REALLY like the Noctua mounting system.

Sounds promising then. One final question, if you don't mind. I've noticed the D14 fans arent PWM. Are they quiet at max speed? Would a 'modern' mobo from 2017 be able to control their speed despite being 3 pin? Quiet is important to me as well as being better than my old 212.

Sounds promising then. One final question, if you don't mind. I've noticed the D14 fans arent PWM. Are they quiet at max speed? Would a 'modern' mobo from 2017 be able to control their speed despite being 3 pin? Quiet is important to me as well as being better than my old 212.
I run a D14 on my Maximus VIII Hero.

The fans can be controlled, but ASUS' fan control software will set them to a permanent 100% if you forget to set them as DC fans in the BIOS. They're inaudible when controlled and at idle though. The only fan in my system I hear at all these days is in the PSU.

The fans come with adapters to lower the voltage (and hence the RPM). I run the fans at "100%" in the BIOS and they are pretty quiet using the lower voltage adapters. The fans spin just under 1000RPM with the adapters.

There are lots of good coolers out, OP can almost just pick whatever looks the best at this point (and fits). One huge downside to Noctua is that it looks bad unless you change all the other cooling to match the tan and brown :eek: I got sucked in, this stuff isn't cheap:

aeosBC0.jpg

There are lots of good coolers out, OP can almost just pick whatever looks the best at this point (and fits). One huge downside to Noctua is that it looks bad unless you change all the other cooling to match the tan and brown :eek: I got sucked in, this stuff isn't cheap:

But its bad ass! :D

Back