Which 10" Netbook to get?

sweet I don't care about high def - normally I watch em on my zune 120 but for the price of the crappy portable dvd player I got 5 years ago I can get a netbook to store a crap ton of movies, lossless audio and play freecell?? omg. nice.

Now if only they had one with the ability to put the screen down like a tablet I would buy it now!! >.>

They showed one off at CES this year, but it was more of a prototype idea than an actual product that is coming out: http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/06/eee-pc-t91-convertible-tablet-lives/

I couldn't agree more being a tablet nut. I'm pretty sure that you'll see a fair number of these things when Windows 7 comes out. At the right price they'll sell like hotcakes.

nice I hope the original concept stays true - LOW COST lol...

if I wanted a 900 tablet that played dvd's I would get an ibm.

hey, i guess this thread is kinda over, so ill pop in my question to avoid starting the same thread, im looking for a netbook that can play movies, (downloaded) music, and i can go on wireless internet with. Id prefer it being 10", any suggestions?

The Samsung NC10 (or NC110, the newer variant) is arguably the king of netbooks, with an 8+ hour battery life and really good keyboard. Unfortunately it can be very pricey relative to the other options.

Some of the newer 10" models have posted similar 7hr+ battery scores, the 1000HE and the 10.1" Aspire One being two of 'em (though Acer was gonna go with a different battery after initial shipments, either they haven't or they haven't had to because everyone's getting the higher mAh rated batteries). The 1000HE/AAO are both far less expensive and equal to the NC10 in just about every aspect imo, all three have decent keyboards/touchpads, in fact the touchpads of those two are probabbly better than the NC10's (larger and they both have some mouse gestures, though it's seldom mentioned of the AAO).

The AAO has an identical keyboard layout to the NC10 (just a smidge smaller), the 1000HE's is a bit off... Only way I'd spend more than the $350-380 that those cost is for the HP 2140, 'cuz it's just sexy and has by far the best keyboard amongst netbooks. :D

Installing Office over a shared drive on a home network takes no time at all btw, 10-15 min.

I got the NC10 (white) last week for under $400. I was looking at the 1000HE and MSI Wind (U123 coming out soon) but opted for the NC10 because it just seems to be solid, OS X'able and has a good keyboard. I'm not sure if people have tested the 1.6 vs. 1.66 but I bet in regular browsing & Office docs, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The wifi N on the 1000HE wasn't a big deal either being that I swapped out the card for a Dell 1390 I had laying around to make the NC10 OS X'able.

Before I even started it up, I took it apart and installed a new wifi card and a 2GB stick of RAM. So after I got my XP running, installed Office, got updates etc, I got OS X installed. Seems to be running very well and I installed Office and did all the updates in OS X as well.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it thus far, although I've only used it for a few hours. One complaint would b the one that most NC10 owners have, the small trackpad. It'll be annoying when I don't have my VX Nano with. I had thought about getting a Macbook & selling my D620 but I'm glad I went with this route, getting the NC10 & keeping the D620, as I probably wouldn't get much from my D620, even though it's like new (got bottom casing/keyboard/lcd warrantied out).

I got an hp mini 1030 and I think its great. It looks better than any other netbook I have seen, and is perfect for what it does.

Not a single comment here about heat output. Really guys? Is this not an issue for any of you? Do you not use the thing on your lap at night in your boxers? My balls are on fire under this HP Mini 1137 right now!

So here's my questions gents:

1. Samsung NC10 vs Asus 1000HE vs HP Mini 1XXX: Have any of you used these and compared the heat output when used on your lap? Does the trackpad heat up ont he Sammy or Asus?

2. Would anyone mind snapping a pic of the bottoms of Sam or Asu? The HP has zero vents on the bottom and yes, it's thin, but DAMN does it get hot in the lap!!

Help me before I go sterile! Ouch!

Not a single comment here about heat output. Really guys? Is this not an issue for any of you? Do you not use the thing on your lap at night in your boxers? My balls are on fire under this HP Mini 1137 right now!

1. Samsung NC10 vs Asus 1000HE vs HP Mini 1XXX: Have any of you used these and compared the heat output when used on your lap? Does the trackpad heat up ont he Sammy or Asus?

2. Would anyone mind snapping a pic of the bottoms of Sam or Asu? The HP has zero vents on the bottom and yes, it's thin, but DAMN does it get hot in the lap!!

The dell mini 10 has a 1366x768 screen upgrade for 35 bucks. I don't know if you can beat that anywhere.

Supposedly the HP will have that upgrade next week.

samsung nc10,
/end thread
This is the correct answer.

I've had a chance to thoroughly check out the Asus 1000HE, the HP Mini 1000, and the Samsung NC10.

The Sammy seemed to have the best display out of all of them w/ deeper blacks than the Asus, but it could have been the lighting, so take that for what it's worth. The speakers did not seem quite as loud and the lid seems to move a bit too easily. The touch pad's a little small and it's not available in matte black.

That's where the fail ends. They keyboard on the Asus matches the mac board perfectly. The flat keys just weren't large enough and I found my fingers slipping at speed. The HP has nice, large keys, but they're still a little too flat for my liking. The samsung nailed it. The feel, curve upwards, size, everything. If you're going to be doing some serious typing, there's only one logical choice here.

Matte vs Glossy. The Asus looks AND feels like a toy. It's bulky, hefty, and has some of the most WRONG design cues. From the cheap plasticy silver whatevertheyare's on the LCD hinges to the ANGLED glossy LCD bezel that picks up all of life's surroundings and throws em back at you, it screams "Mattel."

The Samsung has dedicated pgup/pgdn keys, runs a bit cooler, and feels lighter and more stable on the lap. Finally, the entire housing of the white version's matte! It feels nicer and does not pick up prints. :D There's a reason it's more $, it's a better machine.

It's a lower performance lower battery machine, with better design. It's the same reason people pay more for Apple products.

The CPU's .6ghz faster w/ a bus increase. The battery life's 6 hrs vs 7 hrs realistic. And the price's $50 less AR. All marginal issues and IMO nowhere near the Apple penalty in price/performance. The keyboard, display, and build quality more than make up the perf/price difference. Then you have the extra touches like a brighter display w/ inkier blacks and no finger prints to deal with.

I really wanted to like the Asus, but it ran hotter and felt a helluva of a lot cheaper than $50 worth. :(

If you're going to bother with a 10 in netbook it only makes sense to get the "high def" screen.

You'll only be able to get it from dell and hp so far. Dell has it now and I heard HP will have it on the 6th of April.

There's no sense getting the lower res screen. I also heard that the dell netbooks are actually pretty darn good (though you can't upgrade the ram, SOLDER'D!)

I know the Dell's a glossy, so that's out. Not sure of the HP, but I've been pretty let down by their Mini 1000. Samsung's NC20's on the egg right now, but I can't tell if it's a matte yet. Sure would be nice though!

The Samsung NC10 (or NC110, the newer variant) is arguably the king of netbooks, with an 8+ hour battery life and really good keyboard. Unfortunately it can be very pricey relative to the other options.

+1, NC10 by far, but its a bit more pricey than others. You can get it on newegg for $429 last time I checked. I'm waiting for it to drop below $400 before I bite.

$409 shipped @ buydig.com. I think I'm gonna go w/ the white one since as it's matte through and through. Def a looker too!

The dedicated Page Up/Down keys are a huge boon, 'least for me, my Aspire One has virtually the same keyboard layout as the NC10 and I use those keys constantly... It'd definitely be more of an annoyance to have to do Fn+arrow all the time, I dunno why that isn't mentioned more often (about both the AAO and the Samsung line), 'specially considering how much you tend to scroll on these things (and how small the touchpads are on average)...

It's not even the size most of the time, cursor focus seems to go every which way when you're browsing or when a page is slow loading, etc, the Page Up/Down keys always seems more responsive.

P.S. Man, the forums feel snappy as heck after all the trouble they had this week, must've been one heck of an upgrade, posts just pop unto the thread after you hit reply.

Just got my 1000HE yesterday. With a 2GB RAM upgrade, it's a really nimble little computer. I like the multitouch trackpad too.

Got OSX installed and patched to 10.5.6 too, which is just really cool in a toy kind of way, but sadly the wifi has no OSX drivers yet so usefulness is limited.

The dedicated Page Up/Down keys are a huge boon, 'least for me, my Aspire One has virtually the same keyboard layout as the NC10 and I use those keys constantly...

I definitely agree! Especially with OSX, there's not scroll on the trackpad so the dedicated page up/page down buttons are very useful. I'm pretty impressed how this Atom processor performs. I typically have 5-7 tabs open, IM programs, Outlook and sometimes even stream NBA League Pass this system works pretty well.

Just got my 1000HE yesterday. With a 2GB RAM upgrade, it's a really nimble little computer. I like the multitouch trackpad too.

Got OSX installed and patched to 10.5.6 too, which is just really cool in a toy kind of way, but sadly the wifi has no OSX drivers yet so usefulness is limited.

You could buy a Dell 1390, 1395 or 1490 wifi card and pop it in there. It'll work with OSX natively.

I think one of the important things you should consider before purchasing a netbook is finding out if the keyboard has a full sized right shift key (you will thank yourself later)

You could buy a Dell 1390, 1395 or 1490 wifi card and pop it in there. It'll work with OSX natively.
Yes, but you have to completely disassemble the netbook to change the wireless card, and I just don't feel like doing that. I expect drivers will be along eventually, as it's a very popular wireless chipset.

The 1000HE's right shift key is appropriately placed and the multitouch two-finger scroll works on the trackpad, BTW.

Yes, but you have to completely disassemble the netbook to change the wireless card, and I just don't feel like doing that. I expect drivers will be along eventually, as it's a very popular wireless chipset.

The 1000HE's right shift key is appropriately placed and the multitouch two-finger scroll works on the trackpad, BTW.

I did read somewhere that the two finger scroll fix for the NC10 but I haven't tried it. I wanted to wait until more people confirm it before I try it myself. I'm not too concerned that it doesn't have the scroll though because even in XP, I use the page up/page down more than scrolling.

There was actually no fix involved on the 1000HE, as the synaptics touchpad is PS/2 and there are no official drivers. The two finger scroll and 3 finger tap for rightclick just magically worked. The pinch gestures for zoom did not.

Heh, that's weird. I actually have pinch to zoom on a Synaptics touchpad under WinXP on my Aspire One... And the swirly motion for scrolling, I'm addicted to that, I like it so much more than the regular scrolling, since you can adjust speed on the fly. It's almost like having one of those free-spin Logitech mice wheels. I love the keyboard layout of the AAO/NC10 tho, no slimmed down keys at all ('cept for tilde) and properly placed Shift keys, that was such a big deal when using it to code, one of the reasons I shied away from the Wind (all the punctuation keys were tiny).

All the manufacturers should just adopt that layout as the defacto standard for netbooks imo!

How's battery life under OS X on these netbooks though? Particularly compared to XP/Vista. I'm really curious after seeing all the laptop articles from Anandtech where the MacBooks constantly lap any Vista machine in battery life (and they themselves degrade vastly in that regard when you install Vista on 'em), I can't imagine what sort of OS optimization allows for that... But I'd jump all over OS x if it let me squeeze an extra hour or two out of a battery that typically lasts a lil' over five, heh. (I've got the first-gen 8.9" AAO, I think current 10.1" AAO's ship with a higher mAh-rated battery like the 1000HE/NC10 which lasts closer to seven).

On your 1000HE? Are you sure it's running at full speed (not throttled/downclocked) and no background app is slowing ya down?

I've had half a dozen Firefox windows open before on my Aspire One, with a dozen tabs per, and I haven't noticed a big slowdown... Maybe on a page with tons of ads or something but that's about it. Now if I try to play Hulu full-screen on my HDTV with all that open then it'll definitely be at it's limit (video will either stutter or flicker/tear a lot), but I haven't had trouble doing general multi-tasking on it.

How's battery life under OS X on these netbooks though?
I've only had my 1000HE for a day, but from what I've read, once you install all the various kexts for speedstep and have the genericcpucontrol application running (which I do), you end up with around 7.5 hours of usage under OSX. In other words roughly comparable to XP minus maybe 10%. There's no official support for this hardware under OSX, obviously, so you do compromise on battery life a bit.

Interesting, I still wonder what the heck Apple's doing on the Macbooks to get so much better battery life out of 'em compared to other Vista laptops w/similar-sized batteries (and compared to the same MB's running Vista/XP even). I'm really envious of the people buying the new Aspire One for $350 w/a larger battery and a larger screen when less than four months ago I paid $400 for mine tho! How much lower can they keep going, heh, are we gonna see current models drop to $250 and $300 when dual-core netbooks come out? :eek:

Back