• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which 10" Netbook to get?

MSI Wind.
Looks decent, good keyboard, RAM and HDD can be upgraded, runs all important OS. I like it.
 
MSI Wind.
Looks decent, good keyboard, RAM and HDD can be upgraded, runs all important OS. I like it.

and the Asus cant be upgraded?

i have had problems with my MSI Graphics cards way too many times to trust them ever again even when mandarin is my 3rd language
 
I'm sure that the Asus can be upgraded.
To be honest, the keyboard is what makes a good Netbook for me. Go and test the ones you like somewhere, to see if you can work with it.
 
The EEE PC can be upgraded easily and is probably the most modded of all the netbook's out there. I have the 1000HA and easily swapped out my ram and while I was in there, removed my Hard drive and wireless card just to see how difficult it would be for any future upgrades, it wasn't difficult BTW.
 
The EEE PC can be upgraded easily and is probably the most modded of all the netbook's out there. I have the 1000HA and easily swapped out my ram and while I was in there, removed my Hard drive and wireless card just to see how difficult it would be for any future upgrades, it wasn't difficult BTW.


whats up with all the different model codes the EEEPC has

i even heard that they are offered at best buy now


http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...eeepc&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1218012530030

10" EEEPC for $300 what doesnt it have :eek:
 
whats up with all the different model codes the EEEPC has

i even heard that they are offered at best buy now


http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...eeepc&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1218012530030

10" EEEPC for $300 what doesnt it have :eek:

Do not under any circumstances buy the EEE at Best Buy. It has the smaller battery, the 3 hour one IIRC vs my 7hr (actually avg about 5). I went there to try it out (which I would recommend doing) and almost bought it since it was $30 cheaper but then asked myself why. That's when I turned it over and checked the battery and noticed it was the lower capacity one. I said "Fuck that" to my wife and spent my extra $30 at newegg. Haven't regretted it since. I can download stuff on it while gaming on my other laptop, then unplug it later and browse the net in front of the tv or watch my tv shows/movies while my wife watches Oprah. Best $350 I spent in a while.
 
Do not under any circumstances buy the EEE at Best Buy. It has the smaller battery, the 3 hour one IIRC vs my 7hr (actually avg about 5). I went there to try it out (which I would recommend doing) and almost bought it since it was $30 cheaper but then asked myself why. That's when I turned it over and checked the battery and noticed it was the lower capacity one. I said "Fuck that" to my wife and spent my extra $30 at newegg. Haven't regretted it since. I can download stuff on it while gaming on my other laptop, then unplug it later and browse the net in front of the tv or watch my tv shows/movies while my wife watches Oprah. Best $350 I spent in a while.

I think im bent on this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220443

i dont really use bluetooth though i dont even know what i would use it for
 
The Samsung NC10 (or NC110, the newer variant) is arguably the king of netbooks, with an 8+ hour battery life and really good keyboard. Unfortunately it can be very pricey relative to the other options.
 
NC10!!!! ftw, it can even play some of the old gta's and stuff like that when you really need to take a break from work XD
 
I have an Asus 1000HE that I have upgraded the ram to 2gb and the HDD to 320GB(for dual booting, 3 partitions). I am very happy with the HE thus far, with the current setup it boots up faster in Win7 then my laptop and just a second or two behind my desktop. It runs most of the older games like Morrowind, Warcraft3, Starcraft, BaldersGate1/2, and MAME.
 
Congrats!

I have the Asus 1000H, got it from Best Buy for $320, I don't know what the real difference is between the 1000H and 1000HE, the specs look identical though the keyboard layout is slight different.

I have Windows 7 Build 7057 on the machine and it runs very well, boots in less than 30 seconds. I don't have any games on it, but it play over the air HDTV record from my sig rig in Media Center pretty well and run Office 2007 just fine.
 
Just ordered the 1000HE. Was in the end $500 CND with price matching and tax all together. Ordered it through NCIX.

Unfortunately, they are back ordered, due to being too popular. But they are planning to get some more in this week.
 
HP 2140 is the best. The keyboard on it is great. I use a MSI Wind for OSX. If you are not interested in OSX there isn't much else going for the Wind. But as an OSX machine it is perfect.
 
im thinking of buying a netbook .. cuz i need a laptop asap because i hate being in my room on my desktop when i need to write papers or due a powerpoint presentation .. with the EEE PC 1000HE be able to handle that stuff ?
 
Hey ThePoliticalThinker, was there any reason why you chose to buy the eee instead of the nc10? Not trying to make it sound like im being sarcastic, but what made you choose this one over the samsung? Im thinking of getting a netbook and have held the nc10 in high esteem for a while.
 
The 1000HE is rated as the most powerful netbook available on the market to this date. You'll be more than fine with it with full version of Office 2003/2007 or OpenOffice and all of its application suites.
 
The 1000HE is rated as the most powerful netbook available on the market to this date. You'll be more than fine with it with full version of Office 2003/2007 or OpenOffice and all of its application suites.

thanks .. how is typing on it ? i havent used a 10 inch laptop before
 
just one more question .. sorry to the OP

but i see how it has no cd/dvd .. so how are people installing windows 7 and office .. etc on it

edit .. just bought one and gonna try it out .. worse case i return it
 
USB optical drive or sharing the drive over the network.


NC10, N110 (not NC110) would be my choices. Typing on one now; better keyboard than the 1000HA's. I'd put it up there with the Thinkpad X30's. A little smaller than the X30, but it just feels right. I am not a fan of the chiclet keys on the 1000HE, but haven't had a chance to test it.

I'm not a fan of the larger size & weight of the 1000H(x) vs. the NC10, or the smaller Shift keys. Sucks that the NC10 has just 802.11G, but intel 5100Ns are cheap.
Better battery life on the N110 than the 1000HE from the looks of it, but it won't be out until next month.

3 year warranty on the NC10 beats out the Asus though, if that's that kind of thing matters to you.
 
Yeah, just put stuff on a USB stick or SD card is how I've installed my stuff. Actually works well and I'm don't know why I've not put my software on flash devices before.

The 1000H I have is cool, yeah the right shift key kinda of sucks because it's not full sized, in a different position than the 1000HE but same size from the pics I've seen.

Personally though, I just bought it to have one. It's great to watch recorded TV on, I've used it while waiting for my car to get serviced once but to be honest its just too small to use for an extended period. My tx2z is a much BETTER device and its only 1.5 lbs heavier with the optical drive removed though I never do that. Sure not as much better life with the 4 cell battery but plenty of life for the most part.

I imagine if you were a big airport warrior the weight and size and low cost have benefits.
 
wow everyone pretty much recommends Windows 7 i guess i might try it out

You might as well, especially the latest leaked build, 7057 unless there is a newer one. It just runs so well, even with 1GB. I put 2GB in mine to be able to run more stuff at once. Windows 7 has ZERO performance issues with these things.
 
The NC10 is awesome, but is aging now due to the older processor and lack of wireless N. It isn't much of a knock to it, as I still love the thing, but it's a fact if you're interested in technologies in netbooks.

Also, the NC10 is pricey. The average price from retailers online is $440, compared to the average price of the 1000HE of $390.

To me, the decision is based off logic. Why pay $440 for something with older technologies and measured shorter battery life, compared to the lower priced (and some say nicer overall style build) technologies in the Asus 1000 HE with longer battery price, and priced at around $40 to $50 cheaper than the Samsung?

Also a big decision turner for me was the trackpad on the NC10 vs the 1000HE. The trackpad on the NC10 is tiny, and will require a lot of finger dragging to move that cursor anywhere (albeit if you crank up the mouse sensitivity in Windows, it will help, but a high sensitivity can be a huge annoyance). The trackpad on the 1000HE is massive, has dedicated left and right click buttons in a normal notebook layout (compared to the growing netbook trend of putting the left mouse button on the left side of the trackpad, and the right on the right), and also has multitouch features built in to it. I've heard the multitouch is hit or miss for some people, but if it isn't working well for you simply turn it off and you got yourself a large functional normal trackpad.

In the end, it's up to your preference, but if you want the best bang for your buck and the best overall performance netbook on the market to date, get the 1000HE.
 
Wait for the Samsung NC310. It's got a redesigned chassis which looks like a Viao netbook, but more importantly, will have 11.5 hours of battery life on a 6 cell.
 
"While there's unfortunately still no official US pricing just yet, the NC310 (or N310 as it's also being called) will apparently demand £399 (or $577) when it hits the UK in May, at which point it'll only be available in basic black, with blue to follow shortly thereafter (no word on the remaining colors)."

Ack! Quite the price on that sucker. I'd classify anything above $500 without tax a notebook and not a netbook. Also, expect it to come out in the summer some time, which is quite a bits away since spring just started. Of course long term through there are going to be better options, so it's pointless to keep putting things off.
 
I think the leaders are the 1000HE for technology and the HP 2140 for overall design. My ideal netbook would be the 2140 with the N280 from the 1000HE.
 
I am looking to get a netbook mostly for travel (watching mp4's on 4 hour plane rides ftw).

What is the playback like of ripped dvds and what is going to be the best bang for buck?

All I really require is -

long battery life (something that can last 5+ hours playing movies or mp3, flac audio files)
ability to play mp4 movies at a decent res (full screen on the net book or the WS = would be cool)
N wireless or the ability to change the wireles to n internally

that is pretty much it - don't care if I can hack osx on it, or if it runs ubuntu - if I can get 7 on it fine that's cool.

I am willing to get something less expensive as long as I can add a HDD (not a nand or ssd) and upgrade the memory.
 
groebuck:

The best bang for you buck right now has to be the 1000HE from Asus. The average battery time on it reviewed by people is around 6 to 7 hours, with some people squeaking out 8 hours with low brightness, and some things like the bluetooth disabled.

Media wise, it will have no problem playing lossless FLAC audio files, so MP3s will of course work too. The only video that it has problems playing full screen is high definition files. A lot of people report they play fine, and a lot of others say the video and audio can be choppy at times. Also, i've read that netbooks are having a hard time playing high quality MKV files, but having the N280 Atom chip will really help!

Your other point of needing wireless N is interesting, because it isn't a common feature in netbooks yet. I know the 1000HE has wireless N, but reviews say that there has been a bug in a lot of the 1000HE's that the wireless N only works on the 2.4ghz range, and not the 5ghz range that wireless N is famous for. This is something to look into before making any netbook purchase I'd believe.
 
Nice! I'm waiting for some to come in stock at my store up here in Canadia, and then it will be mine! :D
 
sweet I don't care about high def - normally I watch em on my zune 120 but for the price of the crappy portable dvd player I got 5 years ago I can get a netbook to store a crap ton of movies, lossless audio and play freecell?? omg. nice.


Now if only they had one with the ability to put the screen down like a tablet I would buy it now!! >.>
 
Back
Top