Where are the Displayport cards?

Demand is low.

Low-end cards have very low profit margins, they try to sell large numbers in that market. There are very few displays that use display port, VGA and DVI are still the primary interfaces that customers are using.

It more than likely makes little business since for it to be an option.

Don't worry, the 5000 series low-end will be released soon, and I imagine that will bring Displayport with it as-standard. There's no other way ATI can offer triple-display in a single-slot solution than to have 2x display port and 1x DVI.

My question is where are all the display port capable monitors that support 120hz+ native and 48bit color depth? All I ask for is a 30" LED monitor @ 2560x1600, native 120hz, and 48bit color that can be attached to a high end video card with a display port. LG needs to get on the ball and beat the competition to market on this.

My question is where are all the display port capable monitors that support 120hz+ native and 48bit color depth? All I ask for is a 30" LED monitor @ 2560x1600, native 120hz, and 48bit color that can be attached to a high end video card with a display port. LG needs to get on the ball and beat the competition to market on this.

Pretty sure we would need a better cable than display port for a monitor like that.

What Ferrari needs to start doing to make a plug in ULEV with a couple of Rolls-Royce jet engines and sell it. They could really make mega dollars. I think they'd be really popular.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035031988&postcount=7

That's 23.60GB/s. That 10 pairs of DP (2 and a half 4-pair cables to your monitor). That's 47.2 lanes of PCIe 2.0. 29.5 lanes of PCIe 3.0

GT 210? Are you serious? It's a shame when a 'next gen' card gets beat by last year's video card technology. Have you looked at the benchmarks? Neither the 210/220 will beat a 9500GT or a 4670.

But, but this model has displayport... Ooooh! OR I could buy a radeon 5000 series that blows the door of a GT210 or GT220 AND have my DX11, Displayport, and Eyefinity! Hmmm tough choice!

The 5600 series will be released soon enough and it will be a MUCH better value than 210/220.

Call me dumb but what's the advantage to a DisplayPort anyway? I've just seen headaches using a DP->DVI solution for Eyefinity and so far all I can track down that's available in Canada is that "24 Dell monitor that they priced at $700CAD. Since you can get HDMI/DVI monitors at that size for $200-$300CAD I think I'm missing something, besides $400 that is!

GT 210? Are you serious? It's a shame when a 'next gen' card gets beat by last year's video card technology. Have you looked at the benchmarks? Neither the 210/220 will beat a 9500GT or a 4670.

But, but this model has displayport... Ooooh! OR I could buy a radeon 5000 series that blows the door of a GT210 or GT220 AND have my DX11, Displayport, and Eyefinity! Hmmm tough choice!

The 5600 series will be released soon enough and it will be a MUCH better value than 210/220.

GT220, actually :p

but yeah....

it sucks...

horribly:mad:

48SP!? What kinds of joke is that!?

Unless if this was being used as a dedicated "extra monitor" or video acceleration (which, BTW, there is the much more capable ASUS HD4350 for 20USD MIR) there is no good reason to use this card. (only because of the price)

Finally... did you know eVGA has an OC'd "FTW edition" of the gt220:eek:
ROFLCOPTOR

WITH ONLY DDR3 MEMORY!!!!

Not even the GDDR5 it was supposed to come with :mad:

Last edited:

My point is that there's finally a $50 or less card with DP, I know it's a horrible value performance-wise.

Call me dumb but what's the advantage to a DisplayPort anyway? I've just seen headaches using a DP->DVI solution for Eyefinity and so far all I can track down that's available in Canada is that "24 Dell monitor that they priced at $700CAD. Since you can get HDMI/DVI monitors at that size for $200-$300CAD I think I'm missing something, besides $400 that is!

*Display port was designed to do multiple video streams with one cable (aka daisy chaining multiple monitors).
*If the monitor moves exclusively to displayport and drops hdmi, dvi, and vga you can make much thinner monitors. This is because you can eliminate scaling and control circuits. All this information would be done by the computer and sent through the cable.
*Can transmit data as well as video signal thus you don't need extra cables for monitors with built in webcams or touchscreens.

I'm confused, the OP asked for a low end card with display port. I don't think he cares about 3d rendering performance. That seems like a pretty cheap card with dispaly port no?

refurbished:
http://www.epartsandmore.com/produc...=googlebase&osCsid=3roimsqikc72ei4mths5jmgrq3

Somehow I doubt that card would benefit from GDDR5, anyways.

hey, if I want the "FTW Edition" e-peen, I want the GDDR5, too:p

I'm confused, the OP asked for a low end card with display port. I don't think he cares about 3d rendering performance. That seems like a pretty cheap card with dispaly port no?

refurbished:
http://www.epartsandmore.com/produc...=googlebase&osCsid=3roimsqikc72ei4mths5jmgrq3

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1396774, and it seems likely it's still avalible, and cheaper.

I bought a 4850 for my uncle for Christmas (Sorry can't remember manufacturer, I believe Visiontek), to our surprise the card was equipped with a display port. The thing was, the box made no mention of a display port equipped on the card. I bought it at my local microcenter for $100.

I'll update this post once I find out the manufacturer from my uncle.

EDIT: I'll try to get a part number as well. Because all pictures on the microcenter website are showing a 4850 with 2 DVI outputs and what appears to be an S-Video plug between.

The card I got for my uncle had 2x DVI, 1x HDMI & 1x Display port. This is a 512MB card.

Last edited:
^ Sure it was displayport, and not HDMI?

Yes, the port was situated right next to an HDMI port and they were definitely different.

EDIT: This is starting to blow my mind here a little bit though, I can't seem to find this mystical 4850 anywhere online. I'll really have to get a hold of the box again to find out exactly which card it is.

I just picked up the card to give my uncle a decent video card upgrade from his 6800GT. Once again the box made no mention of Display port, but it was there. It may not have had 2 DVI though, as it was a single slot card (don't know how they would fit all of that). I was unaware that Displayport was scarse on videocards as well right now, so when I saw it I didn't really give it much more thought than the initial suprise of it being on the card.

I'll go ahead and call shenanigans on myself until I can confirm.

Last edited:
Yeah, DisplayPort isn't even in many displays yet, so most cards don't have it.
If demand increases, you'll see a lot of them.

As far as I can tell the reason reason for no DP cards is no demand. Why should i get a DP card when none of my devices use it, and for which I have to buy a new cable?
Why not just buy DVI (same quality, mind you) and be done with it?

Back