When Your Company Kills Your iPhone

Did anyone even read the article? It was an accident. Someone in IT sent her iPhone the wipe command unintentionally. For all we know they never intended on wiping the phone even if they had a good reason to.

The article really is about publicizing that the feature exists and is doable, on purpose or not.
I think everyone's talking about the ability to remote wipe? :rolleyes:

This is merely a case of poor implementation on the iPhone.
There is no reason for a remote wipe to touch any non-email data, and certainly not to brick your phone.

If you run Android with touchdown, touchdown will accept a remote wipe, and it will delete all your exchange email for that account, but it will not alter any other part of your phone.

http://groups.google.com/group/nitrodesk/browse_thread/thread/231fc50e6337afe7

I'm sure this is true in other cases as well but found touchdown first.

Well there goes me connecting my EVO for work. I have a corporate phone but it doesn't sync with exchange server. I can, however, check corporate email on my EVO through OWA. I'll just keep doing that.

This is merely a case of poor implementation on the iPhone.
There is no reason for a remote wipe to touch any non-email data, and certainly not to brick your phone.

If you run Android with touchdown, touchdown will accept a remote wipe, and it will delete all your exchange email for that account, but it will not alter any other part of your phone.

http://groups.google.com/group/nitrodesk/browse_thread/thread/231fc50e6337afe7

I'm sure this is true in other cases as well but found touchdown first.

Touchdown is likely able to do that because it's not completely integrated into the OS. Every other implementation, from Microsoft to Blackberry wipes it all, some to the point that the phone isn't usable, just like apple. And the ones that make the phone unusable afterwards can be restored with a sync or entering in a password.

and besides, the point is from the business standpoint is to protect their property or reduce costs. What good is wiping a phone if it's stolen but the pictures of docs taken with the camera phone are still there, or they can make international calls on it until the phone company can cut it off?

Lawsuit waiting to happen, even if an employee were to sign a waiver.

Ever heard of prenups being thrown out due to any form of duress or pressure to sign?
same case can be brought and indeed be won.

I hope this lady in the article sues for wrongful termination of her personal phone.

You are not under any duress to connect your personal phone to the company's network, it's your choice. It's not like they are telling you to do it or be fired. If your job is so important ask them to give you a work phone, it's simple.

Why would anyone want work related material coming to their personal phone?

Personally, I like the boundary. The last thing I want is someone at work contacting me after hours/while I'm off. In fact, If you need me, you can wait until I'm at work again. If it's "urgent", well, you should have though of that ahead of time. Yes, my cell phone is my only phone, and yes, my work has the number, but I just never answer my phone unless I know who it is and I want to talk to them.

Why would anyone want work related material coming to their personal phone?

Personally, I like the boundary. The last thing I want is someone at work contacting me after hours/while I'm off. In fact, If you need me, you can wait until I'm at work again. If it's "urgent", well, you should have though of that ahead of time. Yes, my cell phone is my only phone, and yes, my work has the number, but I just never answer my phone unless I know who it is and I want to talk to them.

Simple. Carrying more than one device with you is a huge pain.

I have my keys in my right pocket and my iPhone in my left. I don't want another blackberry to deal with. I tried giving it back, but it was already paid for, so it sits in my desk drawer at work.

Zarathustra[H];1036470610 said:
Simple. Carrying more than one device with you is a huge pain.

I have my keys in my right pocket and my iPhone in my left. I don't want another blackberry to deal with. I tried giving it back, but it was already paid for, so it sits in my desk drawer at work.

IDK, I guess the way I look at it is that nothing is so important that it can't wait over the weekend or until the next day.

IDK, I guess the way I look at it is that nothing is so important that it can't wait over the weekend or until the next day.

Yeah, I don't even look ato work emails after work or on the weekend.

It's just convenient to have around the office when I am not in front of my computer.

1. If your company is giving you deep access (activesync) to their systems, they have a right to enforce security policies on your device.

2. If they make a mistake and wipe your device, some sort of restitution would be nice, BUT...

3. If having your device wiped or lost will disrupt your life at all, BACK IT UP REGULARLY. I know on Android phones it takes about 30 seconds to do a nandroid backup which basically takes an image of your system (apps, settings, everything). I'm not sure how Apple or WM7 handle backups. Also, once you re-sync with exchange after a remote wipe - you get all your contacts, calendar, email, and tasks back even if you are too lazy to back them up yourself. And everything in the cloud comes back too (gmail, hotmail, evernote, etc...)

In my line of work, I'd be upset for about 10 seconds if I was accidentally remote wiped and then I'd be glad that someone's covering my butt if my phone was lost.

Why would you connect your personal phone to work? Do people not physically go to work to check their email now? Sounds like laziness to me.

Why would you connect your personal phone to work? Do people not physically go to work to check their email now? Sounds like laziness to me.

Seriously? I understand the personal part, I agree, get your company to buy one. But you are aware there are a lot of jobs out there without a stationary office or a strict 9-5 punch in/punch out code?

I haven't been to my "office" in months and I very much need to check email when I'm on the road or afterhours. I don't think I'm in some small minority. If you don't great.

In my case, I work out of 2 offices. At times I have to do training at other company locations and I won't have a computer near by. I could be in NY, NJ or PA and not be able to get to a computer. Sometimes I'll have been in all 3 states on the same day.

In my case, I work out of 2 offices. At times I have to do training at other company locations and I won't have a computer near by. I could be in NY, NJ or PA and not be able to get to a computer. Sometimes I'll have been in all 3 states on the same day.

I forgot to add that I'm on call 24/7 including holidays.

I'd rather not carry two devices around. In my case, I own my phone but I have transferred my service to my employer and they pay for it monthly. So they have the ability to remote wipe it, but I have the ability to only carry one device that I like, and I don't have to pay per month. Win win.

Well, yes remote wipe is standard. But it's typically limited to your corporate email client, not the whole damn phone.

This smells more like a half-assed Apple implementation than anything else.

To start, I should explain that for my job, I'm on the road full time.

When I took the job, the company required that I have a smart phone, and they would reimburse that purchase up to a certain dollar amount if I did not already have one. They will also cover the monthly bill up to a certain amount per month as long as I fill out the expense report. But the device is mine to own, even after terminating employment with the company because it is using my account that I have had with my carrier for over 10 years.

That explained, because the company is using my phone for business use and reimbursing me, if they were to essentially brick my phone, they would be dealing with my lawyer shortly thereafter. Especially considering that I never signed any agreement or release about the company having any control over my phone.

I seems to me that its a little odd that the company would be able to brick a phone that they are not paying for. I think an improvement to this process would be that her company would have to go through ATT first. especially since she was paying the bill

Seriously? I understand the personal part, I agree, get your company to buy one. But you are aware there are a lot of jobs out there without a stationary office or a strict 9-5 punch in/punch out code?

I haven't been to my "office" in months and I very much need to check email when I'm on the road or afterhours. I don't think I'm in some small minority. If you don't great.

I'd just carry around a tablet or a laptop or something... no part of having work email on my personal phone is appealing. Maybe on a work phone, but the last thing I want to look at on my personal phone is work related junk.

Well it would appear I was mistaken. I did not know winmo could nukle the phone as well. Not sure about 'droid.

My brother works in aerospace. He is issued a phone, built specially for his employer. It lacks a camera and other "modern" features. He cannot bring his personal phone to work.

I seems to me that its a little odd that the company would be able to brick a phone that they are not paying for. I think an improvement to this process would be that her company would have to go through ATT first. especially since she was paying the bill

She was connected to the corporate email system. That is the door through which the wipe is delivered as is that way for most smart phones.

If you don't want your employer to be able to nuke your phone, don't connect to their mail servers.

The problem is the company either didn't notify her that the phone would become part of the corporate network once joined to their server (which enforces security policies on the phone). The company must either inform her of this, or provide another phone. Same thing would happen with a laptop, and she wouldn't have an issue. The difference is she is not "techie" enough to understand devices are controlled by more than just the service biller.

I hope she gets a big compensation for her employer's mistake.
Still, I don't think the wipe should be performed by the employer if it's not a corporate phone.
If your personal phone gets stolen, it should be you who initiate the wipe by calling your phone company. Your employer could perform one too, but this wipe should be limited to the corporate data, like email, not the whole phone.

I don't use Exchange Server accounts directly from my phone, what's the difference compared to OWA (Outlook Web Access), for instance? I don't really check my work emails from my phone, I prefer Remote Desktop from my laptop or home computer anytime, because corporate emails frequently contain attachments or links to corporate databases or server shares that I wouldn't be able to access from a phone or OWA.

At least once a week, someone on my team has a problem with their machine, or just the connection to the network from it, and is forced to use the webmail client. It sure would be neat if the company could sent a format c: command to our desktops once our work machines are useable again. :D

I don't use Exchange Server accounts directly from my phone, what's the difference compared to OWA (Outlook Web Access), for instance? I don't really check my work emails from my phone, I prefer Remote Desktop from my laptop or home computer anytime, because corporate emails frequently contain attachments or links to corporate databases or server shares that I wouldn't be able to access from a phone or OWA.

Difference between OWA and Active Sync? You get fired from/quit your job, your password/account gets changed or locked out, then you can't access OWA to view any emails because you can't login. If you had a smartphone with Exchange Active Sync, you get fired/quit and your account gets locked out, but you still have copies of emails/company data still sitting on your phone.

This is just common sense that a company would be concerned about this stuff. In my company we tell all of our workers if they want it on their personal phone this is what can happen.

Well, yes remote wipe is standard. But it's typically limited to your corporate email client, not the whole damn phone.

This smells more like a half-assed Apple implementation than anything else.

Sorry, that's wrong. here's the list and how they do it.

Windows Mobile 6.5, Nokia S60 - Phone is reset to factory settings and all user files, themes and ringtones are lost. Phone is still usable.

Palm Pre - Phone is reset to factory settings and all user files, themes and ringtones are lost. Sprint phones need your carrier username and password entered to restore phone use.

Blackberry - Only users data is deleted by default but the phone can be reset to factory and the phone disabled via IT Policy.

The real story here is that some admin wiped someone's phone and then didn't do the right thing and try to fix their mistake. Or maybe they did. We'll never know because NPR didn't attempt to contact the employer for comment or rebuttal.

Does it suck that the phone got wiped and all of her stuff was erased? Yep. Unless her employer forced her to connect her personal device to their corporate systems, she doesn't have a leg to stand on unless the employer was dumb enough to connect her phone to their systems without informing her that they could enforce security policy by wiping her device.

In summary: BOO FUCKING HOO.

Not sure why this is such a huge deal.

Either jailbreak the iPhone (now legal) and block remote wipes, or take the easy route and back up the iPhone in iTunes. It's practically automatic...

I hope she gets a big compensation for her employer's mistake.
Still, I don't think the wipe should be performed by the employer if it's not a corporate phone.
If your personal phone gets stolen, it should be you who initiate the wipe by calling your phone company. Your employer could perform one too, but this wipe should be limited to the corporate data, like email, not the whole phone.

Think of active sync as Microsoft's 'built in' Blackberry Enterprise Server in Exhange. It basically gives push email services to certain mobile devices.

No, you don't own any device (phone/computer/car) running proprietary software.

Not yours. Ever.

If you care enough about such a device to claim ownership of either the device or the data, insist on rootable hardware and install software running OSI approved licenses (note that google's android builds don't qualify, either). Otherwise, stop whineing.

Psst, grow up, get a job with a real big-boy company, then speak. You clearly have never worked for a corporation and are clearly speaking from someone with extremely large blinders on.

Each employee at my company has to sign a waiver if they want work emails on their personal device. In it, it clearly states that if the device is not turned over to IT within 24 hours of no longer being an employee, the IT department will remotely wipe the device. This policy is based off of best practices.

i'm 44 and a land surveyor by trade, the company i work for has 10 employees,

we have work phones, yes, but, unlike "large" companies..

We Do Not Use Email, Ever, to communicate with each other-we use ...the phone and you know... TALK, and - by nature of the work- email is essentially useless since we all deal with CAD drawings.

Back