What's the oldest AMD chip you still run?

a 550 Tbird in an old Compaq, I don't actually use it any more, but my parents use it everyday, and I do on occassion when I go over there. :)

I have 2100xp in the computer I gave the wife after buying my new one

K6-2 :)

Used by the people who come by and don't have respect for PCs. That box has taken a licking and just keeps on ticking.

right now an K6-2 300mhz...

I'm having to use it because my p3 died, and I'm waiting on my new opteron.

AMD Am286. No joke.
I use it in an old system with an ancient word processor for my writing. With two 40MB ESDI drives. Even has 2MB of memory!
Yes. It still works and runs. It's on it's second power supply, and I've had to have some mtoherboard components replaced, but it works.

AreEss said:
AMD Am286. No joke.
I use it in an old system with an ancient word processor for my writing. With two 40MB ESDI drives. Even has 2MB of memory!
Yes. It still works and runs. It's on it's second power supply, and I've had to have some mtoherboard components replaced, but it works.
286 FTW!

I've got an old K6-2 running still. Though, my 386 is my oldest PC currently.

Wow a K6, K7, and two K8's now.

The oldest AMD chip I use is the AXP 1800+ in my HTPC.

Now, the oldest Intel chip I still run is the 120MHz Pentium chip in my Toshiba Libretto 70CT.

I have a K6-2 450 that my sister uses. She's been using it almost daily for years, before that I used it almost daily for years.
My first CPU was a 486 dx2-66 by cyrix.

Duron 800 (spitfire) on a Abit KT7A, running as fileserver now.
That was (is) a very nice cpu, back when it was my main pc i had it running at 1150 Mhz on the KT7A (voltmodded).

Still running fine now as fileserver (at stock, voltmod removed), and that after being beated so much, it even has a chipped corner on the core, but running just fine :)

(Also have a 1333Mhz idling in a box i dont use atm, and a 3000+ Barton (400Mhz version) in my HTPC, and then my main rig with X2 4400+)

I just built a dual 2000+ mp machine for a file/media server.

They are 1.6ghz and since I'm using a enterprise level tyan board I can't oc 'em :-(

I plan on getting it to 2 terabytes of home media storage goodness :). I bought a 8 port sata card to help me on that venture ;-)

I have been using AMD 1200+, asus a7v133 motherboard, since July 2001. I have tried my friend's AMD 939 3200+ with 6600gt (my viedo card is 9200). My impression is that there are little differences.

I played far cry, imperial glorials on both computers.

Flyboat said:
I have been using AMD 1200+, asus a7v133 motherboard, since July 2001. I have tried my friend's AMD 939 3200+ with 6600gt (my viedo card is 9200). My impression is that there are little differences.

I played far cry, imperial glorials on both computers.
Little difference between your machine and a machine clocked almost twice as fast as yours??? I saw a difference between my Athlon XP 2500+ clocked at 2.2GHz and my current Venice clocked at 2.25GHz. The current rig is faster and smoother, and there's much less of a difference between my two rigs and the two rigs you're comparing. :confused:

Athlon 2600+ 333fsb clocked to 2.45GHz

I remember when I bought it I wanted an Athlon that broke the 2GHz barrier. I am kicking myself for waiting till last year to overclock it.

GilmourD said:
Little difference between your machine and a machine clocked almost twice as fast as yours??? I saw a difference between my Athlon XP 2500+ clocked at 2.2GHz and my current Venice clocked at 2.25GHz. The current rig is faster and smoother, and there's much less of a difference between my two rigs and the two rigs you're comparing. :confused:

Actually, I just setup a 2400+ folder box in my living room running naked on a 60 gig western digital running 2.15GHz, and it's damn snappy. I think if you keep your box clean, you won't notice day-to-day differences between an AthlonXP and an Athlon64...maybe once it bogs down the A64 will stay smoother faster. ;) Although, my transition from Pentium3 to Athlon64 was quite dramatic.

On topic, the oldest AMD I have running is a 1.4GHz (I think) AMD folder I'm trying to get running, I'm waiting on a PSU to show up today so I can mess with it. I had a 500MHz AMD laptop that I gave to a friend, and I also had a 233MHz AMD that I also gave away, so I can't claim those. :(

Full Folding Ahead!

have some K-5 smoothwall boxes we still run at work with edo goodness and 1meg isa cards.
using 10/100 nics in them tho .. :p

[F]old long and prosper

hmm, not many K5's in this thread? Looks almost like I have the last one leaft running :eek:

a 1.3ghz or so cpu is more than enough for a lot of the stuff we all do, but you're just kidding yourself by saying there isn't a difference

I still have a k5-2 266 with a whopping 32 megs ram in a laptop that I bust out now and again when the good lappy is on the road and I am at home

The oldest that we still run in this house is an Athlon T-Bird 600MHz *SLOT A* sitting in an old Gateway 2000 computer. that box is our fileserver and, I must admit, it does a mighty fine job of it too.

The next oldest is the AthlonXP T-bred(b) I just bought for our HTPC.

Other than that, we're either Athlon64 FX or plain Athlon64

The wife is still running a K6-2-450, the kids have an Athlon 800 (stupid compaq presario) and I have a folding only system (another, identical, compaq) which is an AMD Athlon 800, my file server system is an AMD A64-3200, socket939, and this one I am on is an AMD socket 754, A64-3700 clawhammer - 1 meg cache processor.

I think I still have a couple old, but still working, K6-2 cpu;s kicking around here without a home - will just keep them for the sake of saying... back when i was a kid... CPU;s used to be THIS BIG!!!! LMAO - my kid is 6 now and I am sure that by the time he is in his teens or early 20's, CPU's will be nothing like they were back in the day of the P1/P2 and K6-2 and ealy Athlons, especially the slot chips :) which i still have a couple of.

The folding machine, file server, and this one are all water cooled... the folding and file server strictly for noise reasons, and this one just because it's my toy :)

~NortH~

this is the 3700 system:

3700updates20136qb.jpg

3700updates20184an.jpg

I am not a huge fan of 'pre-mod/factory-mod' type cases, but this one was sent to me for review so I have been using it since i did the review on it and will keep using it until my new case I am building is done and I can swap this system over to it - that, and I have another mod build I am doing that is not finished yet.

K6-2 400 the kids are running Edubuntu on. Yes its used everyday....EVERYDAY.

1.0 Tbird...everyday use machine. Not by me but my girlfriend. Nvidia Ti4200, 512mg ram..and runnin XP

My Applebred Duron 1.8 OC'd to 2.4 on air...three years at that OC...since 4 hours after it arrived. Never let me down..

AMD may not always have the fastest stuff..but it sure lasts.

That said I have a Quad Pentium Pro box in the basement as a Firewall, MP3 server. Thats gettin old.

Andross182 said:
i win! My Grandparents are still running my old Acer AMD DX-2 66 :D

i want to meet somebodies grandparents with a kickass rig, phase change dual dual cores, quad video cards, heck, something they custom made, lol

Just un-retired an Athlon 1200 for a friend. Built a cheap PC out of old parts that I've stored for 2-7 years and everything still works. The Athlon hadn't been in use since 2000. I'd rather see these old parts working again than just sitting in boxes collecting dust....

Back