madcap magician
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Mar 12, 2003
- Messages
- 328
Crap there goes my lower electric bill argument.
Last edited:
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
No way in hell I could play any game like this. The borders of the monitors that get in the way would drive me crazy in 10 minutes.
Absolutely NO.
I understand that gettings multiple monitors and putting them together like this may be cheaper than getting a really large one, but...
Seriously... am I the only one who just can't play like that?
^^ uhh, are you actually the Tyler Durden from ZeroHedge? ^^
well I turn of all my computers before I get to bed, I really think this thread is pointless, just be happy with what you have and let others be, this is one reason I buy a graphic card once every generation and don't go for dual chip cards because there will always be a single chip next gen card that will beat it. I am happy upgrading every year and a half or whatever it is and live with it.
anyways this thread is going no where, I would rather have it closed because the topic is pointless, just let it be, whoever wants to buy can buy it and whoever doesn't, doesn't. Monday is the day I overclock the hell out of my hd 5870 and let the asus voltage tweak be the best solution to my overclock.
http://www.zerohedge.com/
meeting place for dissident wall street traders
the other TD is a highly respected contributor to that site
Huh? Where do you see easy 950 core overclocks? I checked XS and I didnt see any.
Are 5870 prices expected to drop so dramatically?Well since I'm building a new rig, I'm just going to buy a 4870 or 4890 off this forum soon, and wait until Nvidia releases their GT300, and compare it to the 5800s. So buy January the 5870 should be around $300 and even cheaper in a combo with Newegg. The GTX300s will be $400 and up, so the comparison will be price vs performance.
Are 5870 prices expected to drop so dramatically?
I understand the hesitancy, but I actually think DX11 will likely be adopted almost overnight. There seems to be a much greater optimism from developers, going on what I've read.You're right DX11 probably wont be used much for at least a year or so, but if you're not upgrading for another 2-3 years then it makes sense to get a DX11 card now.
For everyone to see my point of view on how the power savings on this card are meaningless, I've made this table. I didn't need to make this to understand it for myself, but maybe it's a new perspective for people who believe this card is really making you energy efficient. Because really, this is probably the first time I've ever seen a card discussed so much on the "energy savings" factor of it. To me it seems that has been everyone's opinion that it is its strongest feature. DX11 is still under the phrase "counting your chickens before they hatch" at the moment. My opinion has been if you've already spent $300 - 400 in the past year on your graphics, getting this card before 2010 would be pointless.
![]()
Roughly every 100 hours you save $1.
After one year you likely won't be using the card anymore. If you do, you probably haven't even put 1500 hours into yet anyways. If you think you use it more than 4 hours a day on average, $0.1296 and $0.09024 are the costs per hour. If you want to save money, hang your clothes on a line instead of using the dryer. Install solar panels. Don't use A/C. You'd save thousands per year.
Ya, that doesn't look fun at all. Not once did the thought of a multi-monitor setup in games appeal to me. I can see how some people would dig it though.
IMO, thin bezels or not, I don't think I'll ever be sold on the idea of eyefinity in games. We'll see...
That said, my 5870's on the way![]()
I'm not looking at HD5870 because I don't have enough *display* to take proper advantage of it (1920x1080, even non-interlaced, is simply too low a resolution to take advantage of all the power HD5870 brings to the table; at that resolution, HD5850 is plenty, even for Crysis).
CF and SLI are each great technology feats; however, the spottiness of game support and the finickiness of compatibility (not to mention the extra fiddling required, in both cases, compared to a single GPU) indeed makes both a non-starter for me personally.
For everyone to see my point of view on how the power savings on this card are meaningless, I've made this table. I didn't need to make this to understand it for myself, but maybe it's a new perspective for people who believe this card is really making you energy efficient. Because really, this is probably the first time I've ever seen a card discussed so much on the "energy savings" factor of it. To me it seems that has been everyone's opinion that it is its strongest feature. DX11 is still under the phrase "counting your chickens before they hatch" at the moment. My opinion has been if you've already spent $300 - 400 in the past year on your graphics, getting this card before 2010 would be pointless.
![]()
Roughly every 100 hours you save $1.
After one year you likely won't be using the card anymore. If you do, you probably haven't even put 1500 hours into yet anyways. If you think you use it more than 4 hours a day on average, $0.1296 and $0.09024 are the costs per hour. If you want to save money, hang your clothes on a line instead of using the dryer. Install solar panels. Don't use A/C. You'd save thousands per year.
My machine pulls (including monitor) pulls 980 watts under full load. I've never seen this impact my electric bill. Ever.
With all due respect, you haven't been looking or your utility co is mighty generous and giving you free electricity. I'm not saying it's a night an day difference, but you're a tech guy so you know as well as I do that 1000watts isn't free. With less power consumption comes less heat which means AC is on less especially during the summer months, which by your own admission, is a big source of energy usage.
It's not the "hippies" making it out to be a big deal. The "pro 58xx" crowd simply states all the benefits of the newer card, power consumption happens to be one of them and then the "anti-58xx" crowd attacks the card, and in this case, focus on power consumption and the debate ends up being focused there. If power consumption is not a big deal than simply stop talking about it.
Wow, another one. Well let me put it to you this way: I've had multi-GPU systems since the Voodoo 2 SLI days. Since the 6800Ultra days I've had dual 6800GT's in SLI, 7800GTX's, in SLI, 7900GTX's, X1950XTX's, X1950Pro's, 8800GTX 2-Way and then 3-Way SLI, 9800GX2 Quad-SLI, Geforce GTX 280 2-Way SLI, Geforce GTX 280 -3Way SLI, 4870 X2 CrossfireX, and I've worked on, built or have owned other SLI or Crossfire based systems using a variety of lower end cards. If that's your opinion of Crossfire/CrossfireX/SLI-3-Way SLI/Quad-SLI etc. then you have little to no experience with it.
This was refreshing to read. Would you mind weighing in on this discussion?Even the issues with micro-stuttering are eliminated with newer dual GPU cards. The problems found with the 7900GX2/7950GX2 and even the 9800GX2 have been eliminated. Newer cards like the 4870 X2 and the Geforce GTX 295 are excellent cards and have seamless SLI or Crossfire support built in. As long as you keep your drivers up to date you shouldn't have any problems with most games. This is one of the reasons why the differentiation between single and dual GPU cards should be pretty much eliminated.
I didn't mean to imply all x2 owners are crying, just a select few that are.
This is a rather weak argument don't you think?
For overclocked operation, AMD is recommending a 750W power supply, capable of delivering at least 20A on the rail the 8pin plug is fed from, and another 15A on the rail the 6pin plug is fed from. There are a number of power supplies that can do this, but you need to pay very close attention to what your power supply can do. Frankly were just waiting for a sob-story where this card cooks a power supply when overvolted. Overclocking the 5970 will bring the power draw out of spec, its imperative you make sure you have a power supply that can handle it.
What does this has to do with my post? I am talking about power consumption on HD5970 not Nvidia card or price wise whatever you are talking about...