Whats the best deal you've ever gotten??

Status
Not open for further replies.
a 1976 or so Datsun 200SX for 50$

with just an adjustment of the carbs the car ran like a dream for years..

When I was an intern for the town of framingham as a network administrator, they pretty much let me take what I wanted. I grabbed a Mac and a copy of OS8 (this was when it was first released) and some other crap.

Being a demo day representative for Nokia, free unlocked phones left and right :)

My current job, I got a free car :D except I got screwed during the drawing and ended up getting a vw beetle. :mad: oh well.

seigejet said:
My current job, I got a free car :D except I got screwed during the drawing and ended up getting a vw beetle. :mad: oh well.

At least it ain't a BB Geek Squad one....but still a beetle........dang....

Duster said:
hands down 1600+ laptop from dell for under 1k...

darn i miss that thing. had for 3 days and it got stolen... but that is a story not for this thread

umm.... well over a year ago a 2001 fp dell lcd for a lil ofer $500 which was good at the time

how do you get a 1600+ made by dell. you gotta know the syntax of products as that means a amd proc.

$50 for a Hitachi 7k250

i bought 4 of these. $200 for 1tb last year not bad at all.

Spectre said:

I try to think that every time I drive... that is until I look near the steering wheel and I'm reminded of the miniture plastic vase there that's supposed to hold flowers. Thankfully it is now a big gaping hole since I tore it off but it's scarred me for life :eek:

sc0tty8 said:
When newegg messed up and I got a second set of speakers shipped to be for free, so, 2 sets of logitech z-340's for the price of 1.

Or, the stack of logitech keyboards I bought 2 summers ago, at 10$ a pop, usually priced at 25$.

yeah, dell messed up and sent me a 250gb WD for free
i would hesitate to call it a hot deal though :p

Spectre said:

Haha, a free car is a free car.

I say it out loud, to try to make myself believe it, but Beetle hehe.

2005FPW for $348. Old laptop that I loved to death for $200 off the hardforums. So thin and could play WC3 and other games, no problemo.

Numerous things for free after retail deals and returns (2 for 1 game deals, etc).

A long time ago...

I bought Microsoft Office 95 (diskette version) from Future Shop for -$17.00. Yes, they paid me $17.00 after price matching +10% a "Going out of Business" sale at Egg Head Software. I didn't really need it for anything, but I couldn't pass up the price. :)

The store manager instantly yanked the remaning copies and put them in the back.

Best recent deal would be the 2405 I picked up for $520 + tax. Brand new straight from Dell.

Won an
2000+ Athlon XP
with 512 megs of ram ect
decent everyday use PC
for $250 including shipping off ebay over 3 years ago
parted it out about a year later and sold it for almost double what I paid. bought new components kept them about 8 months then sold them again for much more than I had paid to finance my current rig. I have never had as much luck on ebay as I had back then. In fact with my last auctions I almost lost out of each item so I guess everything came around full circle in the end :(

not computer related, but I got a brand new Cannondale 900SL mountain bike for $600 :D it retails for about $2200 :D

Eric1285 said:
Best recent deal would be the 2405 I picked up for $520 + tax. Brand new straight from Dell.

Um..... I think i speak for many when I say HOW the F did you get that?

eMule... :p Kidding kidding, don't hurt me.

Working IT at my high school, I would get loads of compters for free, The school threw out about 50 PIII-450 Compaq computers, I picked up 5 'cause my car wouldn't hold any more. About 20 3Com 905's, a case of 24x CD ROM drives, a case of keyboards, and 5 monitors (NEC multisyncs, 15 inch but integrated speakers and mic, great for lab test stations)

w00t. I even got paid to work there.

Walked into Staples with a OfficeMax add and walked out the door with a free 256 PC2100 Kbyte memory stick and $5 worth of extra stuff. Sent my wife, dad, and brother-in-law in to do the same deal.

Polo sport Goretex jacket msrp for $399. My friend paid $350 the week before I got the same thing. I think the price tag was wrong because I walked out of the store paying $20 +tax. :D :D :D

2405fpw for 814 shipped

Second would be MS Visual Studio.net full version with EVERYTHING and 3 books on coding for free!(webcast thing)

Third would be WinXP Beta., I paid like 10 bucks, by the time it went retail MS sent me like 5 copies of WinXP Pro full

Fourth Burlington coat factory, Bought a jacket for 49.99
Came back a week later and saw it was $299.99
It was a heavy goose down jacket. Still have it to this day, its huge. It seems someone swapped the price tag and inteded to come back for it. I found it underneath a coat rack, buried and hidden

before i was a member of this forum and e-commerce was still new, i'd take advantage of little software holes...

from more.com i used a 20 dollar coupon to buy a .89 cent bottle of shampoo (with free shipping!). received a check for 19.11 in the mail shortly thereafter. now THATS a deal.

darktiger said:
A K8V SE with a A64 3200+ for $179

I got the same one, not happy with the mobo at all but a good deal nevertheless. I work at circuit city, one of AMD's partners, so I got it 100% legit. ;)

I've also gotten a mx510 for free from a display we had to take down, a sony all-in-one desktop computer (p4 2.8), a dell computer (p4 2.4) minus the mobo, and a couple harddrives from people who just bought computers and would otherwise through the old stuff out.

2 bags of pretzels for the price of one from a vending machine!!! woot!

FSP Bluestorm 500 for 71.39 shipped

250gb Western Digital harddrive - $25 after rebate and price match.
An ESP EX-351 guitar - $250 shipped ($420 at musiciansfriend)

AMD Tech Tour bundles were a good deal, got my Opterons on ebay right now, unfortunatly had to drive to NJ from DC.. still a good deal.
Once I found $500 in cash on the street.
Got the 2001FP & 2005FPW when they came out each for less than $500... planning on getting the 24" one for under $700 this Christmas, I'm pretty sure I can :)
Found an OC-48 card in a dumpster.
Found a full sized rack in a dumpster.

Free Dell x3i, or when I found $350 and bought a K6-3(when they first came out), so that would make the processor free....

The best deal I ever got was a few years ago when I was getting my dad a 250GB WD hard drive from best buy for his birthday. They had it on a pretty good deal ... probably 40 - 50 cents/GB or something, which was good for the time, especially for such a large drive (but after rebates and such)

I also needed to buy some printer ink, so I picked up a pack of that as well. Turns out the cashier scanned the ink twice and didn't scan the hard drive ... so I ended up getting a 250GB drive for something like $18.95 :-D

I also got a pretty nice deal on those crappy KDS 19" CRT's for $70 that pop up occasionally. As soon as it was delievered, I cut out and sent off the rebates, before even turning the thing on (perhaps a mistake, I know, but it didn't end up hurting me). Once I get it on, I realize it just plain doesn't work at the specs cited on the website (I was naive and thought I could get a 1600x1200, 85MHz monitor for $70..).

Anyway, I call back Office Depot several times and try for five months to get the thing returned. All the while, I'm living in a college dorm room, so this damn monitor is sitting in the corner taking up what .. 75% of my room? :-p

They tell me since I ordered it online, they won't accept the return in-store. They won't give me an address to ship it back to, and it would have cost me $50 in shipping anyway. (They send an office depot truck for delivery/pickup). The problem is, the school post office won't accept the monitor to hold until someone comes to pick it up, and the dorms (where I lived) are locked from the outside, so the pickup guy can't come knock on my door to let me know he's here.

All this time, I keep telling them they need to call in order to get ahold of me when they come for pickup. Finally, I talk to some manager and it gets picked up.

Through some mistake of theirs, I end up getting refunded for the monitor ... and my rebates came in. I fully expected those to get cancelled.

Original price: $160 - $90 MIR = $70. Price to me: $160 - $160 - $90 = I made almost $100 from OD's mistake.

Normally, I'd have felt pretty bad about this and called to let them know. However, I'd guess I spent upwards of 10 hours on the phone with customer service over the course of FIVE MONTHS of trying to return this thing (because it wouldn't perform at the specs they had on the product page), so I don't feel guilty in the slightest.

100gb maxtor external hard drive for 99.50 - back when an internal 100gb was $250+
Samsonite leather chair (really nice) $89.50 - originally $329.99
Canon SD410 for $87 - retailed something like $300 when I got it
120gb WD for -$10ish after rebate and PM - was $120 at retail

Quite a few other good ones i've gotten, I just can't remember many.

hmm best deals...

Coolermaster Cavalier 3 tower... free
ATI Radeon X850XT PCIe... free
AMD Athlon64 3200+... free
Ultra X-Connect 500w PSU... free

and hopefully soon an AthlonX2 4200+... free

strossos said:
I got the same one, not happy with the mobo at all but a good deal nevertheless. I work at circuit city, one of AMD's partners, so I got it 100% legit. ;)
A buddy fo mine worked at CC during that deal. I helped him out with some things he had going on and got the combo from him for $100 as repayment :D

My first truely hot deal was the Western Digital 200gig hard drive for $224-$200 in rebates.
My second more recent deal was the Toshiba RS-TX20 for 121.00 after rebates. Came to 599.99 took half off with a coupon and I'm getting a $200 rebate in the mail.

Also got 2 free $50 target gift cards for participating in a marketing promotion last month.

TheGamerZ said:
hmm best deals...

Coolermaster Cavalier 3 tower... free
ATI Radeon X850XT PCIe... free
AMD Athlon64 3200+... free
Ultra X-Connect 500w PSU... free

and hopefully soon an AthlonX2 4200+... free

How do you get all these freebies? Do you work for a hardware review site? or do you win these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back