• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

what x-fi to get?

argoldst

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
72
I am kind of curious what you guys recommend. I really only use my computer for games (and some occasional music) as I have a home theater that is MUCH better.

What do you guys recommend I get? I know the elite is out as I have no need for it.

The platinum is available now, and has everything I think I want (not sure if I need the extra ram).

I originally was going to go with the fatality but am not sure if the ram is really worth it. Plus, it is not out yet and who knows when it will be.

For my situation, do I buy the platinum now or wait for the fatality?
 
From what I've gathered, you should probably get the cards with the X-Ram on them. The Fatal1ty and the Elite editions have better features as well, I guess that's what you get when you pay 280.00 / 400.00 :eek:
 
I'd say the basic unit will have everything you need. Put the savings towards a different upgrade and you'll probably see a better return on investment for performance.
 
kelbear said:
I'd say the basic unit will have everything you need. Put the savings towards a different upgrade and you'll probably see a better return on investment for performance.
That’s probably true. The only thing I’m worried about is in the future there might be x-ram only effects in games. In my mind, it’s safer to buy Fatality now, and be more-or-less ready for future advances, than buy basic now, and have to upgrade to a x-ram card in the future. That’s why I’m preparing to buy a fatality.
 
Heh, or even worse watch them release cards with more ram on each one, like 128, 256, 512, that'd be insane to load a sound card with that, but it's just funny to imagine :p
 
jebo_4jc said:
That’s probably true. The only thing I’m worried about is in the future there might be x-ram only effects in games. In my mind, it’s safer to buy Fatality now, and be more-or-less ready for future advances, than buy basic now, and have to upgrade to a x-ram card in the future. That’s why I’m preparing to buy a fatality.

That's a very good point. For PC gamers, it's not an issue of whether or not to buy the X-Fi, it's when and which one. Creative does have the market locked down with monopoly powers. Support for your current creative card will stop and you will have to buy the next step unless somehow a competitor steps into the gaming soudcard market without getting bought up.
 
That's what I was afraid of, I have Logitech Z-5500s and a 1 year old Audigy 2ZS, I thought it would hold my sound needs with good quality for a good 2 years, if games start taking advantage of X-ram I guess I'll be forced to buy this X-Fi card when I'd much rather spend that money towards SLi. Damn Creative. :confused:
 
kelbear said:
That's a very good point. For PC gamers, it's not an issue of whether or not to buy the X-Fi, it's when and which one. Creative does have the market locked down with monopoly powers. Support for your current creative card will stop and you will have to buy the next step unless somehow a competitor steps into the gaming soudcard market without getting bought up.

Creative has stated that they will sell the X-Fi chip to 3rd parties. So there should be cards from BFG or XFX or even Gainward or etc...

Donnie27
 
it all really comes down to the xram. I still use an Audigy 1 and it sounds good. I dont know myself what Im going to do. I have the urge to get the basic unit NOW!!!! I dont need all that shit on the front of my case, but I'm intrigued by the xram.
I know from a conversation with Creative CS yesterday that they will sell on their web site by the first week in September. I would guess they'll have the Xram models then. Its not that long. All in all the cards are the same except for the ram. Im sure they all sound great. I dont know if there was that much difference between Audigy 2 zs models and I can bet the X-Fi is about the same in that regard. Its either the basic or the fatal1ty as I see it. Im gonna wait.
 
magoo said:
it all really comes down to the xram. I still use an Audigy 1 and it sounds good. I dont know myself what Im going to do. I have the urge to get the basic unit NOW!!!! I dont need all that shit on the front of my case, but I'm intrigued by the xram.
I know from a conversation with Creative CS yesterday that they will sell on their web site by the first week in September. I would guess they'll have the Xram models then. Its not that long. All in all the cards are the same except for the ram. Im sure they all sound great. I dont know if there was that much difference between Audigy 2 zs models and I can bet the X-Fi is about the same in that regard. Its either the basic or the fatal1ty as I see it. Im gonna wait.

Another 16 pages.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/246/1/

Donnie27
 
I'm surprised they told you that because I called today and was told 8 weeks. I want the fatality but not sure if I really want to wait 8 weeks :(

magoo said:
it all really comes down to the xram. I still use an Audigy 1 and it sounds good. I dont know myself what Im going to do. I have the urge to get the basic unit NOW!!!! I dont need all that shit on the front of my case, but I'm intrigued by the xram.
I know from a conversation with Creative CS yesterday that they will sell on their web site by the first week in September. I would guess they'll have the Xram models then. Its not that long. All in all the cards are the same except for the ram. Im sure they all sound great. I dont know if there was that much difference between Audigy 2 zs models and I can bet the X-Fi is about the same in that regard. Its either the basic or the fatal1ty as I see it. Im gonna wait.
 
Donnie27 said:
Creative has stated that they will sell the X-Fi chip to 3rd parties. So there should be cards from BFG or XFX or even Gainward or etc...

Donnie27

Then I'm going to wait few months so the prices goes down for the x-ram version...
 
SoLiD_MasteR said:
Then I'm going to wait few months so the prices goes down for the x-ram version...

QFT

what Creative should do really is make version wtih X-ram but with out all the fatality or front control panel doo-dads that i really don't care about, price ti around 150-170, and im sold
 
SoLiD_MasteR said:
Then I'm going to wait few months so the prices goes down for the x-ram version...

I can't say how long, but yes I'm waiting too.

Donnie27
 
Donnie27 said:
Creative has stated that they will sell the X-Fi chip to 3rd parties. So there should be cards from BFG or XFX or even Gainward or etc...

Donnie27
Really?! :eek: That would be awesome dude! :cool:

/me can't wait... :)
 
SoLiD_MasteR said:
Then I'm going to wait few months so the prices goes down for the x-ram version...

Prices don't drop as rapidly in Creative's world unless THEY release another product. We probably wont see any major drops until 06
 
imo the basic version will suit your needs. X-ram wont be mainstream for probably 1-2 years.
 
1c3d0g said:
Really?! :eek: That would be awesome dude! :cool:

/me can't wait... :)

This August 8th review was linked to a week and a half ago.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-22364-2435-x-x-x

gamespot said:
Borrowing a page from the graphics manufacturer playbook, Creative will make the X-Fi chip available to other hardware manufacturers, including other sound card companies. Selling the chip to other manufacturers will help make up for development costs and increase the number of X-Fi-enabled devices available in the market. Creative expects to ship the first X-Fi Sound Blaster products later this month on August 22, 2005.

Extremetech said:
What's really lacking is an entry level gamer's card. We'd love to see a $149 retail card without the front panel bay (and minus the logo), but with the 64MB of onboard X-RAM. If Creative is serious about promoting OpenAL as a solution for the gaming industry, they need to make the X-Fi's much more pervasive. While developers may like the idea, they'll want to see ROI based on a substantial installed base. Only a scant few gamers will actually run out and get a Fatal1ty FPS unit at $279.

Or similar to what Intel Did with DDR2 such as invest and create a need or want.

What I've liked to have seen is $149 with 64mb of RAM and DDL (DDL on something besides crappy CMedia based cards IMHO). The Xtreme Music card will be built by others and might be sold for about $89. Creative should be selling the X-Fi XM or at least the Generic $99 price point. Again, Audigy 2 ZS dropped after two months from the same $129.

Donnie
 
Now that I think about it...

Combine the I-Ram with the X-Fi and get the iFi-X-Ram.

Why didn't Creative just put a Dimm slot on the PCB instead of the X-RAM.
 
J-Mag said:
Now that I think about it...

Combine the I-Ram with the X-Fi and get the iFi-X-Ram.

Why didn't Creative just put a Dimm slot on the PCB instead of the X-RAM.

Just like the old days!

Donnie27
 
Big Fat Duck said:
id rather wait for some hard benchmarks to see if x-ram does anything

I doubt we will see any benefit of X-ram for at least a year or two, since games have to be coded for that specifically...

According to Tom, who I think is bias towards Creative, and over exaggerates even admits that the benefit now, is nonexistant...

Tom said:
In actual use with current games, and compared to an Audigy 2, don't expect to gain a lot of frames per second or a more spectacular 5.1 sound environment. If your speakers are good, the sound will be noticeably better, but it won't blow you off your stool. On the other hand, if you use headphones, the difference is like night and day. In fact, you may even want to consider always using headphones from now on. The sensation of immersion in the game is even better than with a well-placed 5.1 speaker kit. You get the benefit of the immersive qualities of headphones, without losing the notion of spatiality you get with speakers. Until optimized games become available, this is the real advantage of X-Fi as far as gaming is concerned.

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050818/creative_x-fi-21.html

I always take what Tom says about big boys with grain of salt, to me he always makes them out better than what they really are IMO.

I am a fellow Audigy 2 owner, and I currently see no benefit in upgrading to an X-fi just yet, especially not at the first release price point
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
sold nothing...

the one he bought (the basic one) does not have X-ram...

iirc the only card with x-ram is the fatality and the elite pro, and both of them COSt lotsa money
gotcha,

i'm not totally sold on the x-ram thing though. The card in that thread looked way nicer than another, even cheaper looking, X-Fi i saw floating around.

Pretty sure his wasn't bottom of the barrel in other words....but i'm not the person to ask :)
 
So much for a real launch...more a paper launch. I guess won't be alot of the X-FI line up till mid September.
 
Night_Hawk-19 said:
So much for a real launch...more a paper launch. I guess won't be alot of the X-FI line up till mid September.

they can afford a paper launch, cuz really, whos their competitors? tehy pretty much dominates the market
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
they can afford a paper launch, cuz really, whos their competitors? tehy pretty much dominates the market

But it's not a paper launch just because Canucks didn't get any, that's nothing new ;) You're right about competition though.

Donnie27
 
OK just got back from bestbuy this morring and i picked up a X-fi

now heres the odd part im looking at the card be for puting it in
and it HAS the mem chip on it the only thing not on the PCB was the LEDs in the top right

now im wondering is there a way to mod this thing to use the ram Hmmm :confused:
 
Elios said:
OK just got back from bestbuy this morring and i picked up a X-fi

now heres the odd part im looking at the card be for puting it in
and it HAS the mem chip on it the only thing not on the PCB was the LEDs in the top right

now im wondering is there a way to mod this thing to use the ram Hmmm :confused:

It has 2mb on board iirc.
 
magnetik said:
It has 2mb on board iirc.


sure i looked at the pics of the card with the x-ram on the review sites
and it looks just like them - the led box on it
 
Made such a big deal in all magazines on August 22 date. Only hearing Best Buy in the States and some place in Spain. Has the cards already (but not all four cards). Just tired of companies saying they will be out now and ends up so limited in this case not even whole line available. Even their own site has none. Typical launches...Only one company recently has got thier product out on actual date that was 7800 GTX's by Nvidia was very impressed by that.

Yes, Creative has some competition but smaller audio companies. What I gather in future that sound card and video card will be on one card. New type of connection being looked at has video and audio for computers :).
 
I'm waiting until one comes out with the ram but without the front thing. Since they are letting third parties make them, it is all but guaranteed to come.

Bonus: getting sick of Mr. Fatality.
 
Back
Top