What torrent application do you use?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
What are the pro's and con's between the different torrent applications? I am using Transmission (default in the new Ubuntu), but I liked the old client (but don't remember its name) in the older Ubuntu releases.

Anyways what do you use and why?

*shrug* opera web browser, but then again i probably only download a torrent every 2 months or so. but its pretty convenient that opera has a torrent client built in.

rTorrent. If you use it in conjunction with Screen, you can have a really good torrent client for a torrent box that just downloads and uploads all day. It uses very little resources as well.

if gnome then deluge, if kde then ktorrent - they are both full featured
but uTorrent under wine runs incrediably well with a small footprint

deluge when on the desktop

But for my server its rtorrent+screen (although seems enhanced-ctorrent has been getting some loven so might have to go back to that - its just so damb efficient)

Vuze, formerly known as Azureus. It's the fastest torrent client I've ever used.

uTorrent + Wine. I like having the same set of apps when moving between Windows and Linux.

ktorrent, used to use utorrent but ktorrent is much better w/not using wine and all

Azureus Vuze. Nice interface, many options and the most important, OS agnostic.

rtorrent + screen. Only complaint is the lack of per-torrent throttling out-of-the-box, but patches exist which address that. I've been too lazy to apply them or learn how to use them.

torrentflux-b4rt web interface!

+1. It's what I use when I know that the torrent will take all day and night or even a week to finish.

But I use Azuereus 2.5 (have prevented it from updating to 3.0) when I know it's going to be a fast and quick torrent.

I still find uTorrent as one of the best torrent clients and so I use that under Wine most of the time. Without using Wine I will usually use ktorrent. It has a similar interface to utorrent and works well enough.

I use Qbittorrent because it is written in qt4, it is fast, and it has no ties to any desktop environments. It fits in with any of them.

And I love qt4.

rtorrent + screen FTW. I run it on my FreeBSD box and manage it through SSH from my laptop wherever I happen to be.

I use old-skool-style ctorrent, but then again my torrenting needs are very light. I hardly ever torrent something, and if I do I never need any sort of crazy seeding/throttling/whatever else features. For barebones functionality, ctorrent ftw.

For more advanced features I give the nod to rtorrent. Azureus is okay but I hate java and it is a huge system hog.

Back