What programs could I disable to use less memory?

Ladic

[H]ard|Gawd
Right now I am using close to 900mb in memory when I start my computer, seems like alot.

This is on Win7 64, any of this not really important and could be disabled?

16358835.png

63481241.png

51338742.png

The OS is designed to use an abundance of memory to speed things up. When you actually NEED more for programs to use, it will be freed.

I am absolutely dumbfounded people on this forum are still asking these questions...

Your RAM usage is perfectly normal.

LEAVE IT ALONE!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

As others have alluded to: Unused RAM is wasted performance. If a program needs the RAM, it is freed at no cost. Leave it be.

Well you can get rid of Ad-aware and avira AV and just install Microsoft Security Essentials. Also, if you wan to clear up 'boot up' programs, disable the 'start when Windows starts' within the program rather than unchecking the box in MSCONFIG. I know DT for one does this. Some of those services, like QT for example do start but Windows shuts them off after a few minutes. If there are some start up items left that you absolutely do not want to start up with your system, use a tool like Revo uninstaller or CCleaner and check 'start up', then just delete the registry entries all together. Cleans up the start up list quite nicely. Also, try finding an alternative to Nero. It installs some nasty indexing and backup services that are running even if you choose NOT to install them.

Anyways, 900MB is perfectly normal for Vista/7.

Everyone needs to get past the old idea that less ram used = better.

Think of it as your gas tank in your car. Would you want to keep it as empty as possible? Hell no! Ideally, it would be eternally full.

Everyone needs to get past the old idea that less ram used = better.

Think of it as your gas tank in your car. Would you want to keep it as empty as possible? Hell no! Ideally, it would be eternally full.

Agreed. I'll bet $10 the OP never used Vista.

OP, Google "SuperFetch" and understand why that 900MB of RAM used is a good thing and will in no way hurt your performance, but instead actually speed it up.

I'm quite fascinated by how many instances of svchost.exe he has; I only have 8 at the moment. Admittedly, I'm running XP, so it may not be comparable, but I don't ever remember using a Vista or W7 system with that many processes either.

Honestly, however, his boot time is probably tanked at the moment, due to all those apps taking HDD time to start up. Once in the RAM, they're fast, otherwise...

All those svchost imply a lot background services (1 can host several).

Honestly, however, his boot time is probably tanked at the moment, due to all those apps taking HDD time to start up. Once in the RAM, they're fast, otherwise...

All those svchost imply a lot background services (1 can host several).

With hybrid sleep, you almost never need to do an actual reboot/shutdown. I only reboot for windows update.

You could probably do without the Lightscribe and AMD crap running in the background, though it'd be like draining a flooded basement by one glass of water.

With hybrid sleep, you almost never need to do an actual reboot/shutdown. I only reboot for windows update.

TSRH. The days of shutting down the computer for anything other than updates, crashes, or transportation have been over ever since Windows 98 was put out to pasture.

That's all normal. This is one of the same reasons people initially hated Vista. They thought it was so bloated that it took so much RAM. That's not the case, though, for both Vista and Windows 7. What takes up the RAM is something called "superfetch". It basically takes unused RAM and stores a cache of of data from the programs that you use most so they start up faster. It automatically gets rid of the cache when a program needs the RAM.

What you are experiencing is normal, and actually increases system performance.

Back