What mixture are you using in your loop?

i got the thing called Pc Ice, do i need to add something to my watercooling tubes? i dont get what i need to put.

masterofcows said:
i got the thing called Pc Ice, do i need to add something to my watercooling tubes? i dont get what i need to put.

You don't need anything. It's a pre-mixed coolant that you can use directly with your watercooling system. Just pour it into your reservoir/t-line or whatever.

pc ice comes in 32ox bottles is that enough for single fan rad, cpu,vga,chipset block setup?

turbolude said:
pc ice comes in 32ox bottles is that enough for single fan rad, cpu,vga,chipset block setup?

Yeah, 32 ounces is usually enough for all loops... A friend of mine has a Mountain Mods UFO with a Thermochill 3x120mm radiator and he didn't even use 32 ounces in for his system.

turbolude said:

If you don't have a reservoir. 32oz wasn't enough for my setup (i got a single bay reservoir though).

i just had my dad order some VW AntiFreeze (Blue). He owns AutoBody shops so he called up VW and ill have it soon. I was just wondering can you run 100% coolant ? Are there benefits ? Any tips ? Do I have to add anything to it ? It probabley set because its good Volkswagen fluid which im sure isnt junk... I just really like it because its blue :-D

i would say 100% is a really bad idea imo. AF is thicker than water is, and it would screw your flow rates and i think (but i am not sure) it would hurt your temps. I would say the 90/10 mix would be better...even 80/20 for that matter. Idk but if you want blue that bad $0.99 primochill tubing at voyeurmods.com would glow XD.

efey`

Quick question. Does windshield washer fluid work ? Just because I like the color and I dont want to go through the hassel of contacting a VW dealership.

AnubisPrime said:
Quick question. Does windshield washer fluid work ? Just because I like the color and I dont want to go through the hassel of contacting a VW dealership.

You can buy it online, just do a google search for pentosin (the name of the blue antifreeze)

AnubisPrime said:

NO!

Windshield washer fluid does NOT work. Erasmus must have been thinking of pentosin.

Borgschulze said:
Now even your computer can haave a minty fresh breath!

Nah... the yellow stuff is better... I can hardly keep that stuff in my mouth for 60 seconds... imagine how [H] your computer will be if you keep it in there for 6 months!

Hmmm... I know Listerine kills 99% of bacteria but how does it do against virus? Maybe I won't have to keep updating my AV software and just trust my coolant to keep me safe. The brick firewall I built around my router didn't work too well though... ah well...

BellaCroix said:
Nah... the yellow stuff is better... I can hardly keep that stuff in my mouth for 60 seconds... imagine how [H] your computer will be if you keep it in there for 6 months!

Hmmm... I know Listerine kills 99% of bacteria but how does it do against virus? Maybe I won't have to keep updating my AV software and just trust my coolant to keep me safe. The brick firewall I built around my router didn't work too well though... ah well...
Did you put rubber on your ethernet cable before plugging it in?? :eek: Should help with safe surfing

paintb4707 said:
Did you put rubber on your ethernet cable

ROFL :p ... I tried... but then surfing just didn't feel as good... sure, the website didn't seem to mind so much but it was like surfing through a cardboard box. I wonder if lambskin has any insulative properties.

So I did obtain some VW anti-freeze today. I am wondering if 80/20 water to antifreeze should be good or do I push it to say 70/30. Any benefits or disadvantages either way?

Ingonuts13 said:
So I did obtain some VW anti-freeze today. I am wondering if 80/20 water to antifreeze should be good or do I push it to say 70/30. Any benefits or disadvantages either way?

The less the better. 90/10 would be good...

Maximus825 said:
The less the better. 90/10 would be good...

Right...so the idea is to keep as much of the thermal properties of the water meanwhile putting in enough anit-freeze to prevent nasties in your loop?

Yes, you want as much water as possible as it conducts thermal transfer better than anti-freeze, but you don't want stuff growing in your loop and parts corroding, and that's where anti-freeze comes into play, but it's thicker so it'll slow down flow. FWIW, I'm using Zerex (yes, pink!) in my loop and I'm using a 90% distilled water / 10% Zerex ratio in my loop. Still leak testing/bleeding out the loop, as it's been about 48 hours and she's about good to go (sadly, she sprung a leak yesterday on the inlet barb on the rad, had to tighten her up more). Looking foward to see if I get any gains with Zerex, but I probably won't. :p

Full Folding Ahead!

tsuehpsyde said:
Yes, you want as much water as possible as it conducts thermal transfer better than anti-freeze, but you don't want stuff growing in your loop and parts corroding, and that's where anti-freeze comes into play, but it's thicker so it'll slow down flow. FWIW, I'm using Zerex (yes, pink!) in my loop and I'm using a 90% distilled water / 10% Zerex ratio in my loop. Still leak testing/bleeding out the loop, as it's been about 48 hours and she's about good to go (sadly, she sprung a leak yesterday on the inlet barb on the rad, had to tighten her up more). Looking foward to see if I get any gains with Zerex, but I probably won't. :p

Full Folding Ahead!

On my last build I had that happen to me after 24hrs too. You would think the system should be leak proof after that amount of time but who knows. Now I always test for about 48 hrs and also recheck every day for the first week in operation since you never know what will happen once all that heat actually starts flowing through the system.

This time around I went with the Koolance fluid. You can buy a bag of it for $7, and that was more than enough to fill my loop (t-line, but i've still got 1/3 or a quart sitting on my shelf). Its pretty blue, premixed, and seems to cool quite well. My opty at 3Ghz is loading at 34C with a storm, mcp655, and bip2 w/ 4 fans at 1200rpm. Thats down from 44C on air cooling with a zalman at 1500rpm. Cant beat a 10C temp drop :D

Just a lil info for people-

The blue antifreeze is Pentosin G11, its been 'replaced' by Pentosin G12 which is a pinkish color. Make sure to specify either the 'blue' stuff or G11

Additives for aquariums, humidifiers, and waterbeds work well for anti-growth properties as well. You can get a bottle of humidifier or Iodine at just about any local pharmacy over the counter.

Some antifreeze has decent anti-growth properties. The normal type - Ethylene Glycol based - is decent at slowing or stopping growth due to its relatively high toxicity. The 'Low Toxicity type - Propylene Glycol - however needs help for stopping growth. I can personally testify this after using Prestone Low Tox antifreeze in my loop. The results after 6 months were...well...pretty nasty.

HydrX does 'fog' Clearflex but its seems the fogging is much much more mild on Tygon or Masterkleer or even some of the cheapy tubing found in local hardware stores. Why? I have no idea.

Bugsmasher said:
HydrX does 'fog' Clearflex but its seems the fogging is much much more mild on Tygon or Masterkleer or even some of the cheapy tubing found in local hardware stores. Why? I have no idea.

I believe the reason Clearflex has the issue is that the Vinyl reacts over time with the coolant.

bandit390 said:
Where else can you buy G11 I called my local VW. They have G12, but no G11

Just type in Pentosin to google, a lot of car part sites on the web sell it. This is where I found mine.

Talonz said:
NO!

Windshield washer fluid does NOT work. Erasmus must have been thinking of pentosin.

What about using just enough to keep stuff from growing in your loop :confused:

I don't want to use it straight from the bottle 100% :p it has alot of the same ingredients

( Deionized Water / Methanol / ethylene glycol )

Maybe 5% washer fluid / 95 distilled water

I just want a light blue tint ! :)

bandit390 said:
Where else can you buy G11 I called my local VW. They have G12, but no G11

You can also go to an Audi dealer. Same stuff. Ask for the blue antifreeze for older models. My dealer had some in stock.

Just wondering... Thinking of using:

Distilled water
Zerex
Blue food colouring

How conductive would this be?

-Cameron

Go with a DYE designed for use in a system such as These Products they are completely soluable in water and have no particulate matter to settle out like food coloring might and they are UV reactive also

Just got my 1st water cooling system up and running last night. I am about 85 percent distilled water and 15 percent pentosin (well not sure if its pentosin or not, got it from the vw dealership, its blue), added some aquarium treatment stuff in there as well to help keep yuckys out.

doox00 said:
Just got my 1st water cooling system up and running last night. I am about 85 percent distilled water and 15 percent pentosin (well not sure if its pentosin or not, got it from the vw dealership, its blue), added some aquarium treatment stuff in there as well to help keep yuckys out.

That is about the same as what I am running minus the aquarium stuff. There is no reason really to use that since Ethyle Glycol will kill just about anything that tries to grow in the loop.

Ingonuts13 said:
That is about the same as what I am running minus the aquarium stuff. There is no reason really to use that since Ethyle Glycol will kill just about anything that tries to grow in the loop.

I figured it was not needed, but I had it so figured it would not hurt to add a few drops :)

I have been using PC Ice very good. Seems to cool as well as water. But you said you don't want non-conductive so its a mute point.

I run, in all my liquid cooled systems, distilled water and Royal Purple - Purple Ice coolant, along with a couple drops of either clear iodine or some rubbing alcohol.

I have had one system running this mixture for over a year and a half and it is still showing no problems at all - I have also taken apart a system that ran this mixture after a year and noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

I mix it 90/10 - I bought the Purple Ice at a high performance auto shop that I buy my car parts from.

I can see the listerine idea as somthing that would work fine as well being it is an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal solution... I may just try it next time I need to refill... I could try the new "Less Intense, Citrus flavor" stuff LMAO

~NortH~

Back