What kind of temps are you guys seeing with Ryzen in ITX builds?

Doward

[H]ard|Gawd
R7-1700X here, no overclock (just bog standard out of the box) utilizing a Silverstone NT06-Pro + Noctua A12x15 PWM in a 'push' configuration, all housed inside a Raven RVZ-01B case.

I put it under a bit of a 'torture' (in quotes due to not having full CPU utilization) by closing it in the media center (no intake/exhaust fans in the media center yet) and played Fallout 4 for ~90 minutes or so, while logging via HWiNFO64.

I got a max temp of 71.1C, max CPU usage of 36.5%, and max fan speed of 1726rpm.

The 1080Ti in the case hit a max temp of 64C, 1263rpm (It's an EVGA SC2 1080Ti) and reporting 66% total load.

I think the video card is fine as-is. I've got a pair of Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans as intake fans directly under the GPU, so I think it's getting plenty of air, especially with HWiNFO reporting only 34% fan usage. If it matters, I have the pair of NF-F12s on a Y splitter, so they are controlled together (uncertain if the Y splitter might alter the reported fan speeds?)

I am thinking the CPU could use some more cooling, however, as the fan I'm using only has another 100rpm of speed left to it.

Thoughts?

*edit* Fan orientation for the NT06Pro is underneath the HSF, blowing away from the motherboard (up and out of the case), if it matters.

*edit2* I'm using the 120x15mm fan rather than a more 'standard' 120x25mm fan due to RAM clearance issues.

*edit3* I'm running Patriot PV416G340C6K 16GB (2x8GB) 3400Mhz DDR4 ram on the board. And so far - it's rock stable running the XMP (3400Mhz) profile. I *could* replace the ram with lower profile RAM, and go with a thicker fan, but not sure I want to give up the fast RAM I'm running on the B350-i ROG STRIX board, considering how sensitive the Infinity Fabric is to RAM speeds...

Last edited:
R7-1700X here, no overclock (just bog standard out of the box) utilizing a Silverstone NT06-Pro + Noctua A12x15 PWM in a 'push' configuration, all housed inside a Raven RVZ-01B case.

I put it under a bit of a 'torture' (in quotes due to not having full CPU utilization) by closing it in the media center (no intake/exhaust fans in the media center yet) and played Fallout 4 for ~90 minutes or so, while logging via HWiNFO64.

I got a max temp of 71.1C, max CPU usage of 36.5%, and max fan speed of 1726rpm.

The 1080Ti in the case hit a max temp of 64C, 1263rpm (It's an EVGA SC2 1080Ti) and reporting 66% total load.

I think the video card is fine as-is. I've got a pair of Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans as intake fans directly under the GPU, so I think it's getting plenty of air, especially with HWiNFO reporting only 34% fan usage. If it matters, I have the pair of NF-F12s on a Y splitter, so they are controlled together (uncertain if the Y splitter might alter the reported fan speeds?)

I am thinking the CPU could use some more cooling, however, as the fan I'm using only has another 100rpm of speed left to it.

Thoughts?

*edit* Fan orientation for the NT06Pro is underneath the HSF, blowing away from the motherboard (up and out of the case), if it matters.

*edit2* I'm using the 120x15mm fan rather than a more 'standard' 120x25mm fan due to RAM clearance issues.
flip the cpu fan so its pulling air in. just let the hot air vent out the openings and gaps. see if that helps at all.

So have the fan pull air down through the HSF? Interesting - and worth a shot, why not :)

So have the fan pull air down through the HSF? Interesting - and worth a shot, why not :)
cooler fresh air from outside the case should help. some people will even use weather stripping to make a gasket between the panel and heat sink to force it to only suck in from outside the case. you might see the gpu temp go up a bit but you have lots of room there.

Well, answered my own question to 'why not' - it's a PITA to change anything in the case, and I'd have to disassemble the entire thing. Think I'll wait for a few ideas, then enact multiple ideas at once :)

IE, is there a more powerful fan I can use instead of the Noctua NF-A12x15mm? Seems this is ~55CFM @ 1850rpm. Considering the R7-1700X is technically a 95W TDP CPU, I think something closer to 75CFM would be better.

I will say the system is already quieter (and loads faster, thank you SSD!) than my Xbox One S, so I'm ok with giving up some audio for better cooling.

*edit* Well damn. I haven't found anything capable of pushing more air than the NF A12x15 PWM fan I'm already using! :(

Last edited:
Well, answered my own question to 'why not' - it's a PITA to change anything in the case, and I'd have to disassemble the entire thing. Think I'll wait for a few ideas, then enact multiple ideas at once :)

IE, is there a more powerful fan I can use instead of the Noctua NF-A12x15mm? Seems this is ~55CFM @ 1850rpm. Considering the R7-1700X is technically a 95W TDP CPU, I think something closer to 75CFM would be better.

I will say the system is already quieter (and loads faster, thank you SSD!) than my Xbox One S, so I'm ok with giving up some audio for better cooling.
better airflow or a better cooler(if theres one) are about the only options. the highest cfm slim fan is this cm fan but its only ~58cfm, not worth it to me: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/xtraflo-120-slim/

or add a fan on the outside for suck/pull?!

better airflow or a better cooler(if theres one) are about the only options. the highest cfm slim fan is this cm fan but its only ~58cfm, not worth it to me: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/xtraflo-120-slim/

or add a fan on the outside for suck/pull?!

Yeah, 3cfm won't be noticed. If my fan was like 35cfm or so, I'd go for it, but you're right, not worth the hassle.

I think I'll try flipping the fan and retest to start with. I may need to just step down to a 2600X, if CPU temps get to be an issue.

71C isn't close to an issue. What's the most torture you plan to put it through? If gaming with the media center closed is worst case scenario, you're fine. If you plan to do something more strenuous, then test that and and as long as temps are under 85C at stock, you're fine.

71C isn't close to an issue. What's the most torture you plan to put it through? If gaming with the media center closed is worst case scenario, you're fine. If you plan to do something more strenuous, then test that and and as long as temps are under 85C at stock, you're fine.

I'm intending to add intake and exhaust fans for the cabinet to ensure clean, fresh air is in use :)

ITX is as good as you cool it. Nothing more. Choose a good case and a good cooler.

I ran a 8500K for a while ITX and I was fully watercooled and stuff it all in a little case with a real pump radiator and block, not some chitty CLC junk.

It ran super cool and was not even delidded and I ran it at 4.7 ghz on all cores.

I chose a good case and good cooling. Not sure how else to answer this question my friend.

I'm intending to add intake and exhaust fans for the cabinet to ensure clean, fresh air is in use :)

Do you smoke? hah

I have all my stuff in a Silverstone SG13B case

- Ryzen 1700 65w
- Arctic Liquid Freezer 120
- Biostar X370 ITX board
- Corsair SF600 Power Supply
- EVGA 1070ti (triple wide)
- Gskill 3200mhz (2x8gb)
- Samsung 960 NVME 250gb
- (2) Western Digital Black Edition 7200 rpm 1TB drives

Absolutely NO heat issues here (even when I was mining). I idle at 26c. Of course, I'm pretty particular of my cable routing and whatnot, which is virtually flawless. I have no restriction in airflow.

Back