What is wrong with my Raptor?

natermeister

Limp Gawd

Something is definitely wrong here. During those low spots the drive is thrashing about like crazy, making horrible noises while doing so. I've checked it and it doesn't appear to have any bad sectors. Anyone have any ideas?

I've been planning on buying a pair of X25-Ms, but sadly no one has them in stock. I might just have to get a 128GB Corsair X-series drive instead.

It looks like the OS or an app is using your hard drive while you are testing.
When not running the test, is your hard drive active at all?

I did this test with nothing else running from a reboot. I waited a good amount of time before running the test to make sure Windows had loaded all services and all programs that launch on start up were running. But I notice from time to time something is hitting the disk when I'm not at the computer and I don't know what it is. It's not the AV software and it's not the built-in defragmenter because I use a third party defragmentation program and the stock on is disabled. For the record, I defragged right before that test.

hmmm it could be your drive is failing.

Why not boot into safemode and test there?

But I notice from time to time something is hitting the disk when I'm not at the computer and I don't know what it is

I'd be leaving the task manager open and finding what is accessing your drives.

It looks like something was accessing it while the test was running.

Watch the task manager while the test is running?

I'm going to check it out more thoroughly tonight, but I'm definitely fast tracking getting the X25-Ms. I suppose I could get a 300GB VelociRaptor, but I really don't see the point of it with SSDs being the price that they are.

Back