what is the more overrated cryptocurrency in your opinion?

Dioniati

n00b
I saw some different opinions about the topic, but I was looking for more insight – which crypto is too overhyped?

hype and crypto in the same sentence? Looks like there is around 23,000 crypto currencies out there? Such a giant waste of energy IMO. Ill put it all under over hyped. Imagine all that processing power used for protein folding or something useful.

There existance (specially popularity) can accelerate how fast everyone leave in a Europeen union banking system where person to person money transfert is near instant and really cheap, any bank, any country (inter Canada is pretty much like that, now).

I can easily imagine being underhyped or overhyped, people leaving in Argentina probably liked carrying around an usb key instead of a giant bag of USD to buy an house cash (illegal to use USD to buy an house and local currency not good enough for anyone to do major transaction with it). In a superbe well run country (eurozone, canada, usa, etc...) often the value is harder to spot.

We have both superb currency, but also a giant list of superbe institution to act has third party both people trust, no need for any no-trust transaction to buy a video game when Steam exist, when one of the best company ever like Amazon exist, when superbe bank exist, superbe credit card company exist and so on.

The question wasn't "Do you hate cryptocurrency with no valid reason for it?". They asked which is overhyped.

Definitely Doge or Shib.

Okay fine, i find bitcoin to be overhyped personally. 15 years, still hasn't revolutionized the world yet like i keep hearing.

The question wasn't "Do you hate cryptocurrency with no valid reason for it?". They asked which is overhyped.

Definitely Doge or Shib.
All of them is a valid answer. As for the reasons, at this point that is a dead horse topic. It’s perfectly acceptable to think they are all overrated, overhyped.

Okay fine, i find bitcoin to be overhyped personally. 15 years, still hasn't revolutionized the world yet like i keep hearing.
The big issue is (at least for the current tech) you seem to always need a trusted third party anway for almost anything.

To take the steam vs a crypto game store example, if I trust an seller enough to trust the compiled game has no virus, work well, will accept a refund in case it does not work, will be availalbe to download if a get a new pc or format for whatever reason, will carry update.... I will trust that entity with a credit card numbers way before all of that.

The game cannot fit on the crypto chain (anything with any data over the smallest 16-16 gray image), we need to trust the actual server with the data and that the seller will maintain and pay for it... completely removing any aspect of no trust needed crypto can bring.

If we make a sport wager, both people involved will put in the code a trusted source (say ESPN website) to determine who won the wager, why not bet using who own and run ESPN (or an equivalent), if we both trust espn to give good result we would find a trusted waging platform.

It can put consumer cost down a bit (which is more a small evolution than a revolution) but it seem to be doing so by cutting profit, no actual higher efficacy which is far to be as interesting for humanity.

That jump to the real world is lacking with the current cost of the tech, the more bizarre example were NFT, with jpeg hosted on a google cloud drive or some FTP and the link to it being sold, would still need to trust that the NFT seller will pay the hosting website.... making all of it obviously so useless, if you trust it that much why not pay it with a credit card ?

Last edited:
The big issue is (at least for the current tech) you seem to always need a trusted third party anway for almost anything.

To take the steam vs a crypto game store example, if I trust an seller enough to trust the compiled game has no virus, work well, will accept a refund in case it does not work, will be availalbe to download if a get a new pc or format for whatever reason, will carry update.... I will trust that entity with a credit card numbers way before all of that.

The game cannot fit on the crypto chain (anything with any data over the smallest 16-16 gray image), we need to trust the actual server with the data and that the seller will maintain and pay for it... completely removing any aspect of no trust needed crypto can bring.

If we make a sport wager, both people involved will put in the code a trusted source (say ESPN website) to determine who won the wager, why not bet using who own and run ESPN (or an equivalent), if we both trust espn to give good result we would find a trusted waging platform.

It can put consumer cost down a bit (which is more a small evolution than a revolution) but it seem to be doing so by cutting profit, no actual higher efficacy which is far to be as interesting for humanity.

That jump to the real world is lacking with the current cost of the tech, the more bizarre example were NFT, with jpeg hosted on a google cloud drive or some FTP and the link to it being sold, would still need to trust that the NFT seller will pay the hosting website.... making all of it obviously so useless, if you trust it that much why not pay it with a credit card ?
The world of digital assets continues to be a hotbed of innovation and speculation. Fueled by everything from technological advancements to celebrity endorsements, cryptocurrency markets are constantly in flux. Today, we're witnessing a fascinating shift. While established players like Bitcoin and Ethereum await a cash injection, a surprising surge in meme coins is grabbing headlines. This article dives into the intricate dance of these trends and explores what's influencing the short-term direction of these digital dynamos.

Bitcoin and Ethereum: A Temporary Time Out

Despite the recent green light for Bitcoin and Ethereum ETFs, the anticipated flood of new money from the US hasn't arrived yet. This liquidity injection, expected in July, is a major catalyst for price movements. Without this financial fuel, Bitcoin price and Ethereum price are struggling to break through current ceilings. Bitcoin, in particular, is still grappling with the lingering effects of the Mt.Gox incident. These combined factors are contributing to a period of price stagnation for both cryptocurrencies.

The Meme Coin Rally: A Trump-Fueled Frenzy

With Bitcoin and Ethereum in a holding pattern, meme coins are basking in the limelight with impressive short-term gains. This phenomenon can be largely attributed to the influence of former President Donald Trump and his foray into the crypto space. Trump's recent public support for cryptocurrencies and his decision to hire a meme manager for his campaign have significantly boosted investor enthusiasm for these playful digital assets.

Meme coins linked to Trump's campaign, like MAGA and JENNER, have seen substantial gains recently. But the surge isn't limited to Trump-affiliated tokens. It's sparked a broader rally in other popular meme coins like Pepe, WIF, and BOME. The excitement surrounding these coins is palpable, with investors eager to capitalize on the momentum driven by Trump's endorsement.

The underlying reasons for the popularity of Trump-related meme coins are multifaceted. Firstly, they offer a novel way to donate to political campaigns, channeling funds into Trump's efforts through the innovative avenue of blockchain technology. Investors who buy these tokens are not only supporting Trump's political ambitions but also potentially profiting from the rising value of these assets. This dual incentive structure has created a new paradigm in political fundraising, leveraging the speculative nature of the crypto market.

As the US election approaches, the appeal of these meme coins is likely to persist. Investors can back their preferred candidate while potentially reaping financial rewards from the anticipated rise in token values. This confluence of political support and speculative investment is setting the stage for meme coins to continue their upward trajectory in the short term.

Solana: The Next ETF Darling?

Lost in the focus on Bitcoin, Ethereum, and meme coins is Solana, another noteworthy player in the cryptocurrency market. Following the approval of ETFs for Bitcoin and Ethereum, speculation is swirling that Solana could be next in line for ETF approval. Such a development would be a major win for Solana, as ETF approval typically brings greater legitimacy and attracts institutional investment.

Current market sentiment suggests that a Solana ETF is a realistic possibility. News of such approval could trigger a significant short-term price increase for Solana, with estimates ranging from 25% to 50% in a single day. This speculative frenzy reflects the broader market dynamics where positive regulatory developments can lead to rapid price appreciation.

However, it's important to temper expectations. Even if Solana is approved for an ETF, the launch might not happen immediately. Additionally, the initial phase following the ETF launch could see some selling pressure as investors cash in on their profits. Despite these potential challenges, the prospect of a Solana ETF adds another layer of intrigue to the current crypto market narrative.

Conclusion: A Market Poised for Divergent Movements

The cryptocurrency market is a complex ecosystem with various forces influencing different segments. Bitcoin and Ethereum, the cornerstones of the crypto world, are currently in a wait-and-see mode, anticipating the liquidity injections expected in July. This period of waiting might be accompanied by a price correction, but the long-term outlook remains optimistic, with significant price targets on the horizon by the end of June.

Meanwhile, meme coins are experiencing a remarkable surge, fueled by the influential backing of Donald Trump and the unique intersection of political fundraising and speculative investment. This trend underscores the dynamic and multifaceted nature of the cryptocurrency market, where unconventional factors can drive significant short-term gains.

Lastly, Solana's potential as the next ETF candidate adds another layer of intrigue to the market. While the approval and launch of a Solana ETF might face hurdles, the mere speculation of such a development is enough to create substantial market movements.

As the crypto market continues to evolve, investors must stay informed about these diverse trends and developments. The interplay between established cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum, the speculative frenzy of meme coins, and the regulatory milestones of emerging players like Solana will shape the market's trajectory in the coming
So I just looked at my portfolio and noticed the massive disparity in rate of returns. My portfolio is heavily diversified and as an amateur investing very casually, I'm prepared to all in from now on.

I am just gobsmacked at the mediocre performance of everyday well known companies. If I had heavily weighted investments toward specifics companies and sectors I could have easily achieved mind boggling rate of returns.

Take Blackmores for example. Over a 3 yr period , its share price went up multiple times.

Picking winners is how you win at life. Tracking the market with index funds is fine, but you can go much higher by paying attention.

Is it you that added text to my message you quoted ? (or it is some AI that did that ?), because I not sure I get the link with the added text to the rest of your answer and 2 both to my message, probably some typo going on.

Tracking the market with index funds is fine
Well some index (say a semi-conductor index) made 1000% return in the last 10 years, obviously going 100% nvidia instead of an index that has it would be been better, but in hindsight is a big word here...

Back