What is the easiest, cheapest way to do this???

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I want to be able to watch videos from www.hulu.com on my TV. What is the easiest, cheapest way to do this? I assume it is some sort of streaming on my home network, but I have never done it before. It would also be a plus to be able to stream my MP3 collection and listen to music in my bedroom as well. Let me know if you need more information. I realize you guys may need more information, so ask away. Thanks for your time.

Well... your computer + cable to TV would be the cheapest way...

Are you looking for a new computer (HTPC, lowend 'extender') or another setup?

EDIT: Okay, if you are going the WiFi route, make sure to get a higher end AP (like the Dlink 655 over thw 615).

But the best way, of course, is wired. (ethernet over power powerline, or spend some time in your crawlspace/attic)

What is an extender? Pardon my ignorance, I have just recently discovered hulu and think it would be cool to watch it in my bedroom. Thanks.

Extender = lowend hardware that cannot do anything but sell to the uninformed

What I meant = low end computer, with at least a celeron e3xxx or AMD Sempron/AMD Athlon (low end, not the higher end Athlons) CPU that can watch all videos without issues.

My best suggestiong is to read the sticky in the General Hardware catagory, and post for help in there for building a HTPC, don't forget to state the budget.

I'm not sure what you are really after, in terms of how deep you want to get into this. Watching TV in your bedroom, soley Hulu, for me, is not a compelling reason to buy new hardware.

I already have a computer that I can dedicate for this.

In that case, just do what jeremyshaw recommended earlier: Hook up your computer via w/e necessary cable to the TV. Fairly straightforward after that.

As for the streaming part, that's dependent on whether or not you have a server or sharing your MP3 collection on the network from whatever PC that collection is stored on.

What TV do you have in the bedroom? What are the specs of the PC that you're gonna put into your room?

The TV in the bedroom is a simple 27" CRT type with only composite video in. The computer is a Dell Pentium4 w/HT. 512MB RAM, AGP Video, etc... what I would like to do is by some kind of cheap video card or TV card that will output the desktop to the TV. I'm on an extremely limited budget with this, so I have to make do with what I have and maybe a couple of extras. Thanks.

I apologize if I placed this in the wrong subforum. Could a mod please move this to the most appropriate forum? Thanks.

Back