What is a good FSB for A64

LyCoS

Limp Gawd
There, i've read some reviews, and the test boards seem to cap around 300Mhz FSB, and the reviewers call it extraordinary. yet with my (i will not give the name until later) mobo, without touching any voltages, i get these results :

fsb400.JPG

thats right, 400 Mhz (rock stable), and i havent even changed the default heatsink...

now how come in reviews i get (for example from anandtech) that 300 is the best overclock ever blah blah blah !?!

Morry Teitelman said:
Using his trusty Koolance EXOS water cooling system, Kyle pushed the K8T Neo2 to an impressive 260 MHz FSB.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjYyLDY=

so if 260 is impressive, what is 400 :rolleyes:

Abit KV8 pro review

With a little bump in voltage, the KV8 Pro was stable at 243 MHz (using 1.625V). We were able to get a high and bootable FSB of 270 MHz, but experienced OS locks.

OMG 270 booting !!

I suggest checking a search engine for information pertaining to calculating the value of a front side bus, whereas memory is concerned. One step better would be to view the fsb value within the bios, if possible. It should become clear then.

you must have your memory set at a god awful level?

how in the world did you get it to 400? is the screenshot real?

its a real screenshot.

i manually set the FSB to 400 in the Bios.

i'll try to find my camera and take a picture of the BIOS ;)

i had to use the HT multiplier of 2.5(x the FSB) to have it stable. 2.5x400 = 1Ghz so the speed IS real.

MaxwellAW said:
I suggest checking a search engine for information pertaining to calculating the value of a front side bus, whereas memory is concerned. One step better would be to view the fsb value within the bios, if possible. It should become clear then.

the FSB given in CPU-Z is the real (clock) FSB. it gives 200 on intel P4Cs, 166-200 on AXPs.

wow, 400fsb? What board did you get that on. My board goes up to 350, but its not real stable past 300. What kind of ram are you using also, you have to be on a huge divider. Quite frankly, while thats impressive, I dont think your getting a huge performance leap there. IMO it would be smarter to run as high of a 1:1 fsb you can, as then adjust your multi from there.

Viper87227 said:
wow, 400fsb? What board did you get that on. My board goes up to 350, but its not real stable past 300. What kind of ram are you using also, you have to be on a huge divider. Quite frankly, while thats impressive, I dont think your getting a huge performance leap there. IMO it would be smarter to run as high of a 1:1 fsb you can, as then adjust your multi from there.

im using the 7/10 divider. which gives me a mem frequency of 280Mhz (560 DDR).

the board is a DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250 GB.but you're right, a high FSB is useless for A64s since you have to use dividers. It is usefull for P4s since even if you have to use a memory divider, all of the IO/AGP/PCI.... go thrue the FSB, which isnt the case for AMD. But its really just to demonstrate that 400 FSB is possible without even upping any voltages :p

DFI did some fine engineering on that board, obvious reason why it's everyone's pick for a s754 solution... Have you tried 350-400 with a higher multiplier? It's hard to find any uses for such a high FSB like you said though, heh.

Impulse said:
DFI did some fine engineering on that board, obvious reason why it's everyone's pick for a s754 solution... Have you tried 350-400 with a higher multiplier? It's hard to find any uses for such a high FSB like you said though, heh.

if i gain 3 seconds on Pi 1meg , i gain (3x32) 96 seconds on Pi 32 megs !!!

which has the purpose of ??? :D

by the way, the board itself is great, very stable, all the features you need (and none which you dont really need exept for those memory timings...)... as you see its a pretty good overclocker (the best ?)

Back