What HSF do you use?

dkev

Gawd
I'm doing some upgrades and I am considering what HSF I want to use. It's going on an AMD 550. I currently have a AC Freezer Pro 64 on my 6400+ and it's been pretty decent. My fan doesn't even run when the system is idle. I am considering a CM V8, but it's a little pricy.
What I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125&Tpk=ac%20freezer%2064%20pro

What I'm looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055&Tpk=Cooler master v8

I will be overclocking the cpu and I'm going to be using a CM HAF 422.
So, what hsf do you use, and how do you like it?

Last edited:
Xigmatek S1283

Super cheap (cheaper than the one you linked) and runs with the best in terms of cooling.

Keep in mind that Xigmateks will only mount horizontally on AMD boards and if you have tall memory sticks you can forget using your DIMM slot 1. Depending on your motherboard your DIMM slot 2 might be no good either.

So if you have tall heatsinks or you prefer a HSF that blows out to the rear exhaust fan then a xigamtek is not for you.

thermaltake big typhoon VX, eg. the worst heatsink ever made on the face of this earth!!!

the sunbeam core contact allows you to mount in any direction and is actually a very decent heatsink that gives the s1283 a run for its money.. but its a pain in the ass to mount..

Last edited:
Prolimatech Megahalems. It is a bit expensive, especially when you add the cost of the AM2/AM3 mounting kit, but it's amazing. Only needs a fan at around 1600RPM to get the best out of it, and it has the best mounting system I've ever come across.

Last edited:
Cogage TRUE Spirit. I love it. Push pin system isn't terribly amazing, but the contact was still good ( as per [H] review). By far in my opinion the best cooler for the money, my i7 stays way cool.

HeatKiller Rev 3.0....................cool refreshing water..............:cool:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus

I own a Cooler Master V8, and the 212 is at least as good, at half the cost. Can be mounted any direction you want as well. BTW, the Freezer 64 is not good enough for a quad core.

Thats good cause I'm not installing one. ;) It's a dual core, same clock speed as my current one. But since its 45nm an a better architecture, it should be easier to cool.

Cogage TRUE Spirit. I love it. Push pin system isn't terribly amazing, but the contact was still good ( as per [H] review). By far in my opinion the best cooler for the money, my i7 stays way cool.

This is an AMD system, not an i7 (1366), which is the only socket the True Spirit will fit on.

Seeing as the V8 is $54.99, you can get the TRUE and a Kama PWM fan for $54.94, which would be my choice.

my ocz vendetta 2 has kept my e6300, e7200 and core i7 cpu's perfectly cool.

at 3.7ghz with 1.3v with my i7 920 at 100% load it keeps the temps in the high 70's.

keeps up or beats the TRUE at a fraction of the cost

its $20 after rebate from Microcenter. you can't beat that.

§kynet;1034523597 said:
Okay, got the impression you were going with a quad core 955.

Yup, my bad. It's a 550. Dunno why I keep wanting to call it a 955.

TRUE 120 Copper, had the normal one sold it though. Couple copper coolers and waterblocks lying around and intel stock coolers currently using this HP OEM to cool down a E5300 at 4.05ghz 1.4125v.

http://www.avc.com.tw/products/Z9U702H001.htm

Next cooler would either be a Thermalright IFX or CM V8/V10 which one?

Yup, my bad. It's a 550. Dunno why I keep wanting to call it a 955.

why? because it can be unlocked to 4 cores and turn into a 955 :p well that is if you have a chip with the 2 extra cores that are stable and a motherboard thats able to unlock them..

but yeah the 550 will blow your current cpu away.. i have a 6400+ as well and even with 1 core on my 940 kicks my 6400+'s arse..

thermaltake big typhoon VX, eg. the worst heatsink ever made on the face of this earth!!!

the sunbeam core contact allows you to mount in any direction and is actually a very decent heatsink that gives the s1283 a run for its money.. but its a pain in the ass to mount..

The VX has a horrid mounting system.... but if you use the older style mounting system it is a lot better. It is the same exact thing as the regular Big Typhoon but with a better fan if you use the older mounting system.

See sig.... been running with this cooler for around 3 years now.... still see no reason to get a different one.

Xigmatek "Dark Knight" Kick ass HSF! :cool:

complete.jpg

closecooler2.jpg

closenight.jpg

Did a little research on the whole xigmatek + am2 vertical dilemma.
I wonder if this adapter for the Megahalem would also work with a xigmatek? I know that the mounting holes are smaller
on the S1284 series than on the S1283 series. Seems logical that it would work, as long as the mounting holes on the megahalem and s1284 are the same size.

CoGaGe True Spirit $40 & get TRUE 1366 mounting bracket $10 & use that instead of puh-pin bracket included. I7 stays nice & cool & smaller size doesn't block ram slots.

You know you could've just posted "words" instead of huge ass pictures. (Sorry in this country, our net is all capped at crap speeds)

and you didn't have to quote said huge ass pictures to make other people scroll past them for a second time :)

Think I'm gonna stick with my Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. It's got more then enough power to cool the X2 550. And it will cool a quad just fine by the way. Some one earlier said it wouldn't.

Think I'm gonna stick with my Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. It's got more then enough power to cool the X2 550. And it will cool a quad just fine by the way. Some one earlier said it wouldn't.

Sounds like a plan to me. I've used that and it works great.

You know you could've just posted "words" instead of huge ass pictures. (Sorry in this country, our net is all capped at crap speeds)

Um this is [H]ard OCP, we post farking pics and 1078x IS NOT big pics. Methink its time to move to new country with no communist broadband limitations :D

Back