What HSF do you use?

You know you could've just posted "words" instead of huge ass pictures. (Sorry in this country, our net is all capped at crap speeds)
1024x768 doesn't qualify as huge, and the largest of those images was all of 163KB. That shouldn't give you any trouble unless you're still on dial-up.

Well if I do decide to go with one of these, its going on a micro board. So you want see the mobo, just a giant hsf. :D

You know you could've just posted "words" instead of huge ass pictures. (Sorry in this country, our net is all capped at crap speeds)

You know you could've just posted the quote text instead of huge ass pictures. (Sorry in this country we like to bitch about not so large pictures)

Keep in mind that Xigmateks will only mount horizontally on AMD boards and if you have tall memory sticks you can forget using your DIMM slot 1. Depending on your motherboard your DIMM slot 2 might be no good either.

So if you have tall heatsinks or you prefer a HSF that blows out to the rear exhaust fan then a xigamtek is not for you.

I've seen some folks cut off enough of the fins above the memory slots to fit the memory. Just an idea!

Also, I would recommend Sunbeam's Core-Contact Freezer. I did a bit of research before purchasing the CCTF and it had good reviews and is within a few degrees of TRUE and Dark Knight. And the 120mm fan it comes with is a nice fan.

CCTF: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

Last edited:
Nice to see another Matt here. :D

Cutting the fin's off? Wouldn't that cripple its cooling performance?

Nice to see another Matt here. :D

Cutting the fin's off? Wouldn't that cripple its cooling performance?

I'm sure it affects performance, but as far as crippling the cooling I'm not sure. I'd imagine the fins which are constantly being cooled by the fan are the ones doing a majority of the cooling. Or maybe the pipes do the majority of the cooling?

The fellow who I saw clip the fins did so, if I remember correctly, to a Noctua HSF on an i7 rig and had removed 5 or 6. It didn't look too bad and did what it was intended to do. Only problem besides possibly decreasing cooling was that the HSF had to be removed to take out that memory module.

Also, yes, it is nice to see another Matt here!

The fellow who I saw clip the fins did so, if I remember correctly, to a Noctua HSF on an i7 rig and had removed 5 or 6. It didn't look too bad and did what it was intended to do. Only problem besides possibly decreasing cooling was that the HSF had to be removed to take out that memory module.

Also, yes, it is nice to see another Matt here!

5-6 fins ? wtf...thats crazy, was he trying to fit the Noctua cooler into a cramped case/bad layout motherboard?

It turns out the Prolimatech am2/3 retainer bracket will work with xigmatek's. Though it will not key into the top of the heatsink base like it would with the Megahalem. As long as it's clamped tight, it should work great.

Here are some shot of my Xigma s1284 mounted vertically with the prolimatech bracket.

Pretty excited about this, should be able to get it installed tomorrow. The horizontal position just wouldn't have worked for me, because my ram would interfere and I have no exhaust port atop my case. Also, I prefer the look.

Yes it does look great indeed. Good thing the different bracket works with that Xigmatek hs

I just realized that the pictures I posted earlier are incorrect and are actually showing the hsf mounted horizontally onto the bracket. It needed to be installed the the other way onto the retainer to be vertical.
Here is a pic showing it installed vertically.

Even with vertical mounting it still blocks the first dimm slot. I have been getting a lot of crashes lately because of it not being occupied. I tried to remove the heat spreaders from the ram, but it did not go so well! In the process I managed to rip some of the memory chips from the board. lol, yeah I do stupid things like that from time to time! I got a replacement coming tomorrow of the exact same thing minus the heat spreader, which will fit under the hsf. Luckily it was only $15 dollars.

I just got a Scythe Kama Angle. It was only $41 shipped including a tube of Arctic Silver 5 from Newegg.

It's friggin enormous but works perfectly in the cooler master 590...exhaust fans on the top and side make for a push/pull situation. Ideal.

Back