What EA will lose if Battlefield 3 remains off Steam

I'm not buying it, but then again I'll just be playing Skyrim instead anyways.

I'm sure EA wants to make steam even more of a monopoly. Look at the people now whining and bitching about how if their game isnt on steam, they wont buy it. I cant stop laughing.

I'm sure EA wants to make steam even more of a monopoly. Look at the people now whining and bitching about how if their game isnt on steam, they wont buy it. I cant stop laughing.

Yeah, as one of the people whining in this thread would say.. they are bending over for a service.. just taking it.. I guess they're drinking the kool-aid and don't mind it. :cool:

Blizzard has earned gamer's trust, just like Valve, meanwhile, EA shits on us all.

You stand there, beshitted, and defending EA, amusing, to say the least.

Blizzard has earn our trust? Don't think so. 60$ price, no LAN, Online DRM.. Right..

Good to know that you'll bend over without complaint. At least nobody can accuse you of being a whiner.

You surely do take it like a man, sir.

Hey, at least he will get to play.... more than you can say.

EA may loose a large fan base who love the convenience and social aspects of steam just as the article has mentioned. EA has already dissed the modding community by announcing that they think the game is too "hard" for the average Joe modder to handle. Now they are going to loose some easy cash just because they don't want to cooperate with a vendor. EA needs to get their snobbish head out of the asses and wise up. I haven't decided if I'm not going to buy it or not after the latest events. I'd prefer it to be on steam, but I'm a big fan of the BF series. Time will tell, but I think I'm going to wait through the holiday season to see if this EA stance with Steam fails and they ultimately work a deal out. ... at least that's what I'm hoping for.

You can only buy Valve's games digitally through Steam and must use Steam whenever you want to play a Valve game. AWESOME! SIGN ME UP!

You can only buy Blizzard's games digitally through battle.net and only need a small download program for retrieving the game that is deleted after you are done. EVEN BETTER, SIGN ME UP.

You can buy EA games through practically every digital distribution service EXCEPT Steam and none of them require Origin to play EVEN if you download and install them through Origin. WOW, EA is FUCKING GAMERS once again with their DRACONIAN DRM I'm boycotting these FACIST PIGS. NO STEAM, NO SALE.

Huge Steam fanboy here. BF3 beta showed me Origin was not that bad. Did what it was supposed to. Still up in the air on BF3 based upon strictly the gameplay now.

To make sure I am getting this right. I snag the game on DVD. I do NOT need Origin what so ever. I can just add BF3 to my games list on Steam. If I grab the game via Origin, I will always need Origin active to play? I can not uninstall it after I have the game up and running?

Or download via Origin...Install. Remove Origin? That is what BF2142 allowed you to do.

Wasnt planning on buying it, but if I did, it'd be a steam purchase so they lost me....maybe others like me too...

You deny that battle.net works well for all intents and purposes?

You deny that Blizzards online store is painless and simple to use?

That isn't related, anyway. Origin is your option, take it or leave it. Millions will take it because it is fine.

Glad to see your "views" hinge on the views of others.

Sheep comes to mind.

Hardly, Origin isn't a new thing, I never liked it in Dragon Age Origins either. I only use Steam, and I never have supported always on DRM like with Assassin's Creed 2.

Keep trying though.

+1, and I'll expand:

"Gamers" endlessing circlejerking with each other over idealogical STEAM/DRM purity on the forums.

Meanwhile, I'll be actually playing games, enjoying myself. Have fun with each other, I'd recommend bringing a towel.

Gaming today has been overshadowed by skepticism, fun or enjoyment is an afterthought.
It seems that games today must pass a checklist of moving targets in order to gain customers.

Debates like this takes the fun out of gaming, because it has nothing to do with the game itself, but the controversy that surrounds it.

what will EA lose if BF3 is not on Steam... well... nothing, really. It does show a few ranting fanbois who are butthurt over Steam not being treated like royalty, but that's really about it.

what will EA lose if BF3 is not on Steam... well... nothing, really. It does show a few ranting fanbois who are butthurt over Steam not being treated like royalty, but that's really about it.

They'll lose the same thing Activision lost during the MW2 boycott... or Valve lost during L4D2 boycott. :D

BF3 is on every digital distribution service EXCEPT Steam... must be EA's fault because they want it to be Origin exclusive. :rolleyes:

Here comes the Valve Defense Force.

EA wants to more or less bypass what Steam exists to provide... you'd just be getting Origin through Steam, the content provider wouldn't actually be Steam, which is what Valve wants.

Steam is supposed to handle all the patching, DLC, content, file verification etc and Origin pretty much shits all over that. But I used it in alpha and it was alright so w/e

Might not get some buys from the loyal steam users.

Me. I already pre-ordered it from Origin, along with SWTOR CE.

It's going to be a great game....just because its not on 1 service shouldnt deter people from buying it.

They will lose some sales sure, I am not buying it because it is not on Steam. I beleive it will eventually end up on Steam a year or two down the road, but I doubt I will buy it then. No sense getting into an EA MP game late in it's life with EA's penchant for killing game servers.

No sense getting into an EA MP game late in it's life with EA's penchant for killing game servers.

Battlefield 3 is using dedicated servers. The worst EA can do is stop officially supporting it by not releasing new updates, but as long as there are people who are wiling to pay(this will probably be like BC2 where you have to rent from a specific company) servers will be open.

Aren't BF1942 servers still up?

I think so, alot of good mods came from 1942.

Seriously. BC2 is still very popular, I am sure BF3 will be VERY popular as well.

I mean hell 64 player servers is enough to get me excited!

I think so, alot of good mods came from 1942.

Seriously. BC2 is still very popular, I am sure BF3 will be VERY popular as well.

I mean hell 64 player servers is enough to get me excited!

Pray they give infantry a way to combat air vehicles... unlike BF2.

Not being on Steam loses a lot of exposure in my opinion. I wasn't super excited about BF3 to begin with. Not being on Steam pretty much seals the deal as far as NOT buying the game ever, for me that is.

Are they releasing the software, or doing rental-only like BC2?

I haven't read anything definitive, but I'm guessing you'll have to rent from a specific provider. That worked out well for EA and Gameservers with BC2, so it makes sense they'd keep it.

I'm more worried about being forced into paying Origin's inflated prices for DLC or just go without, since there is no Steam and those 100 online retailers that everyone bangs on about don't sell DLC to Australians.

US$20 for BFBC2:Vietnam in Australia? Fuck you EA.

I'm more worried about being forced into paying Origin's inflated prices for DLC or just go without, since there is no Steam and those 100 online retailers that everyone bangs on about don't sell DLC to Australians.

US$20 for BFBC2:Vietnam in Australia? Fuck you EA.

Huh i paid $20 for BF2BCV on steam....

And the DLC for most games is the same price on steam as you can get from other sources?

Sounds like excuses to me...

Huh i paid $20 for BF2BCV on steam....

And the DLC for most games is the same price on steam as you can get from other sources?

Sounds like excuses to me...

BFBC2: Vietnam

Steam - US$14.99
Aus Origin - AU$19.95

Are you telling me Vietnam is US$20 on your Steam, or was it $20 in your own currency?

I think the issue has to do with the Battlelog website which is how BF3 gets launched and has the player list and server browser.
Valve would have to give EA access to the Steam BF3 player accounts.
Origin doesn't even have to be running to play any of the digital downloaded games in your Origin account.

BFBC2: Vietnam

Steam - US$14.99
Aus Origin - AU$19.95

Are you telling me Vietnam is US$20 on your Steam, or was it $20 in your own currency?

Back when BFBC2V was released I paid $19.99 USD for it.

So I save around $5 now.

how much is 14.99 USD to AU exchange?

Back