What Do You Want from Windows 8?

Hmm...

What do I want from Windows 8...

Well, Windows 7 already has everything I want feature-wise, what I am looking for are evolutionary improvements.

Windows 7 did a good job, but there is still a lot to be done from a system efficiency, stability and security pespective.

There should be no reason why I can do the same things with linux and 256 megs of ram, and for the same level of performance out of Windows I need 2gb.

Need more inherent system designs to combat malware, viruses and hacking.

Also need to eliminate the random slow downs, like for instance at boot time in Windows 7 when you first log into your account and you only have a semi-functional desktop with a little spinning teal O on the network icon in the task bar and a lot of programs can't launch. Who cares if the desktop comes up quickly if it isn't fully useable when its up?

Zarathustra[H];1036470260 said:
There should be no reason why I can do the same things with linux and 256 megs of ram, and for the same level of performance out of Windows I need 2gb.

What modern Linux install with modern apps and a typical user friendly grpahically rich UI runs wellmin 256MB?

Windows 8's #1 priority is enhanced touch and pen features and usability like that in Courier, little else matters as Windows needs to make the transition to tablets and slates to remain the #1 consumer and business client OS.

All taskbars are rather pointless
Well, yes and no, assuming you mean toolbars. I agree it's a nuisance to waste the height of a full toolbar on the whole widescreen just for the 2 Google features I use (bookmarks and search box), but I added both to my Firefox navigation bar, so I currently don't have a single toolbar.

Well, yes and no, assuming you mean toolbars. I agree it's a nuisance to waste the height of a full toolbar on the whole widescreen just for the 2 Google features I use (bookmarks and search box), but I added both to my Firefox navigation bar, so I currently don't have a single toolbar.

Yes I meant toolbars (i'm tired today!). The search bar/address bar hybrid kind of thing removes the need for additional search bars and junk, you can still use special searches with 2 clicks if you must, so toolbars have become much less "essential".
I like the window that comes up on first time IE9 install that says something like "these are your addons they add __ seconds to browser launch" then check boxes to one click disable them. It will (hopefully) mean the average user will dump all bloat that causes much of the slowdown people complain about and blame on the browsers. Hopefully this shall become common to all browsers (IE probably wasn't the first to do it)

Back