What do you use in your water cooling system?

Diggit2001

n00b
With all of the different options out there, I was just curious about what everyone puts in the PC liquid cooling system. I have heard that distilled water is the best, but I'm wondering what other additives people are adding to it.

Thanks

I guess the only way to keep my warranty valid on my Koolance RP-1000SL is to use the cooling fluid that came with it. That's OK - because the blue fluid matches the case theme (Silver / Blue).

If using only distilled water make sure to add antigel (a few drops) to prevent algae formation.

hmm, I added Petra's red antifreeze (which I guess is none other than red antifreeze used in VW vehicles), I wonder if it has anticide properties as well... it's about 1/9 ratio...

distilled water + Swiftech HydrX

havent changed in a year, gonna wait until i build my new rig and clean everything out :)

I guess the only way to keep my warranty valid on my Koolance RP-1000SL is to use the cooling fluid that came with it. That's OK - because the blue fluid matches the case theme (Silver / Blue).

Me too, and my 3+yr old EXOS-AL and blocks are still as clean inside as the day they were bought.

I tried air (hey, it's a liquid) but it was less than stellar so I switched to Slurpy syrup and it was great until it thawed. After that I dabbled with cola but the bubbles caused cavitation and hellacious foaming so that went out the window. After that I used vodka but my loop went dry after my room-mate found out I'd used his Luksusowa in it so I went with water and a bit of antifreeze and it's been fine ever since.

distilled water + Swiftech HydrX

+1. I've used it from day one and don't plan to change. It's three bucks a bottle which makes a liter of coolant, my temps are good, and I have never had to clean any funky growth out of my loop. I'm happy with it.

HydrX is convenient, cheap. On the other hand, it forms some sort of film on the tubing inside, at least it did on mine

80% antifreeze + 20% tap water.
been running this for just under a year with no problems.

Swiftech Hydrex, just mix it a bit weaker than what they call for.

80% antifreeze + 20% tap water.
been running this for just under a year with no problems.

? You sure its not the other way around ?

If you really are running 80% antifreeze STOP NOW. It will kill the life of your pump. Your liquid will be far too viscous, and not only is that bad for the pump, it is bad for heat transfer. Also, stay away from tap water...come on distilled water is like 1$ a GALLON at the grocery store, stop being lazy.

distilled water + less than a cap full of Water Wetter Super Coolant + a few drops of biocide

what's a good biocide to add to antifreeze... and do you need antifreeze, if you have biocide (assuming no Al in the loop)?

what's a good biocide to add to antifreeze... and do you need antifreeze, if you have biocide (assuming no Al in the loop)?

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol variety) will work as a biocide for most biological agents, in a concentration of 2%.

And yes, antifreeze in a low concentration is does help your overall temperatures. 2% glycoside content will be better than 0% glycoside (due to decreased surface tension of the water running through the tubes) content, but going over that 2% will start to hurt your temperatures.

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol variety) will work as a biocide for most biological agents, in a concentration of 2%.

And yes, antifreeze in a low concentration is does help your overall temperatures. 2% glycoside content will be better than 0% glycoside (due to decreased surface tension of the water running through the tubes) content, but going over that 2% will start to hurt your temperatures.

So why the hell everyone says 1 part antifrees to 9 parts water?

So why the hell everyone says 1 part antifrees to 9 parts water?

to prevent the "worst case scenario" type of setup... IMO.

It might be to prevent ANY sort of growth... but a concentration of 2ml/kg can kill an adult human, so I'm sure a tiny algae isn't going to survive so well in much, much lower conditions.

a general 10% rule is good for aluminum/copper loops too... staving off corrosion for a year or two before things get too bad.

to prevent the "worst case scenario" type of setup... IMO.

It might be to prevent ANY sort of growth... but a concentration of 2ml/kg can kill an adult human, so I'm sure a tiny algae isn't going to survive so well in much, much lower conditions.

a general 10% rule is good for aluminum/copper loops too... staving off corrosion for a year or two before things get too bad.

You'd be surprised how well microorganisms cope with adverse conditions. Heck, think about roaches... I mean they'll survive on the friggin moon :) Alright, I'm exaggerating but the point is that what's poisonous for a human is not necessarily poisonous for other organisms - and vice versa... I guess I'll stick to 1/9 ratio for now, I need better rad before I start squeezing my coolant for better temps :D

With all of the different options out there, I was just curious about what everyone puts in the PC liquid cooling system. I have heard that distilled water is the best, but I'm wondering what other additives people are adding to it.

Thanks

Distilled H20 and a little AC fluid.

You'd be surprised how well microorganisms cope with adverse conditions. Heck, think about roaches... I mean they'll survive on the friggin moon :) Alright, I'm exaggerating but the point is that what's poisonous for a human is not necessarily poisonous for other organisms - and vice versa... I guess I'll stick to 1/9 ratio for now, I need better rad before I start squeezing my coolant for better temps :D

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs/contaminants/psl2-lsp2/ethylene_glycol/ethylene_glycol_2_e.html#24111 said:
The green alga, Selenastrum capricornutum, is identified as the most sensitive aquatic species to ethylene glycol. The effect of ethylene glycol on the growth of this algal species has been examined by several authors (Dill et al., 1982; Ward et al., 1992; Aéroports de Montréal and Analex Inc., 1994; Beak Consultants Ltd., 1995b; Pillard and Dufresne, 1999). All of the tests followed essentially the same test method (U.S. EPA, 1978, 1989a,b) and measured the same cell growth endpoint. Where possible, IC25s were determined, using parametric and/or non-parametric analysis.

I'm just going with what I've read on the toxicity of green algae to Ethylene glycol. I don't know for sure, but I know the recommended dosage for inhibiting stuff in a closed loop is relatively low. But I agree, the difference between 2% and 10% is minimal at best, might as well.

Just don't go using any ethylene glycol in a loop with gold (koolance) and silver (G5 or TDX) :eek:

Wow, lots of choices. Thanks to everyone for your input. I think I may just go with a nice red wine, perhaps a Merlot.

currently pentosin G11/distilled water 1:9 ratio

redoing loop and will be using Petra's long life red same ratio as before.

I use 100% Distilled/De-Ionized water; nothing more, nothing less.

Back