What do you recommend for $200?

Even Kyle showed that this isn't true.
The 560Ti is significantly faster than the 6870 is about 99% of tasks, and the last 1% it's dead even.

The correct competitor for the 560Ti is the 6950 1GB card. In this comparison, the 6950 is faster in the majority of tasks, but only by a small margin. In the tasks that the 560Ti wins, it's usually a good deal better(Say, Civ5, which I play).
we were talking about the gtx470

I just measured my 6870 and its exactly 9 3/4" long, you say you have room for 9.8" which I believe will fit. The pci-x pins are off the side not the end.

Even Kyle showed that this isn't true.
The 560Ti is significantly faster than the 6870 is about 99% of tasks, and the last 1% it's dead even.

The correct competitor for the 560Ti is the 6950 1GB card. In this comparison, the 6950 is faster in the majority of tasks, but only by a small margin. In the tasks that the 560Ti wins, it's usually a good deal better(Say, Civ5, which I play).

But doesn't the 560 Ti cost enough more that the 6870 and 560 Ti should be in different groups? The lowest price I see the 560 Ti at newegg is $249.99. You can get a 6870 for well under $200 after MIR...

A 6950 is lot more close in price to the 560 Ti. Just my two cents.

For $200 I'd say the GTX 560, should have some performance over the 6850.. If you can stretch a bit over $200, the 6950. I think Nvidia's drivers are currently outperforming ATI's anyway, so if I had an option, I'd go with the GTX 560. I'm still rocking the 5970 work gave me, so I'm a bit rotten.

But doesn't the 560 Ti cost enough more that the 6870 and 560 Ti should be in different groups? The lowest price I see the 560 Ti at newegg is $249.99. You can get a 6870 for well under $200 after MIR...

A 6950 is lot more close in price to the 560 Ti. Just my two cents.

Learn to read. That's exactly what I said. Exactly.

Dual 5830 sapphire cards @ 99.00 each on newegg right now may be your best bang for the buck. If you find that you aren't utilizing the cards fully drop down to 1 card and sell the other. Unless you need the dx11 on the 6xxx ATI and 5xx NVIDIA cards I'd look at the 5xxx and 4xx series for value.

Hmm, just found out my XPS 435-MT only has a 360 watt PS. So not sure the 560TI is going to work here. One review shows total system wattage being north of 350w usage so I'd probably have to put in a new PS too...

Any suggestions on replacement card that easily lives with a low end PS?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4135/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-ti-upsetting-the-250-market/16
thats at the wall but yeah a gtx560 ti would not be good at all with that psu. what is the total amount of wattage allowed on the 12v line? it should say that on the psu label or at least tell you the amount of amps for the 12v. if is decent then you would be fine with a 6850 in that pc. and tbh a 6850 uses no more power than that 4850 you already have.

Last edited:
Dual 5830 sapphire cards @ 99.00 each on newegg right now may be your best bang for the buck. If you find that you aren't utilizing the cards fully drop down to 1 card and sell the other. Unless you need the dx11 on the 6xxx ATI and 5xx NVIDIA cards I'd look at the 5xxx and 4xx series for value.

The problem with Crossfire X in the 5000 series with AMD is scaling.
There were some good games as far as performance in the 5000 series but not consistantly. Those issues are better in the 6000 series but still not 100%.

If going AMD a single 6000 series card will be more enjoyable. If you go dual card, two 6000 series cards will scale much, much better than the 5000 series.

If I was buying, search for an HD 6950 reference model and mod the BIOS to a 6970. Excellent performance increase for free!! You can get a 6950 for around 250 + MIR if you look hard.

No need to be a dick about it, especially when you mention nothing about price, which is what I was getting at, not performance.

This whole thread is about price: "What do you recommend for $200?" I don't need to state price for it to be obvious that I'm talking about price, just like everyone else.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, since you're interested and talking to me about this, I'll tell what's going on. I've got a friend looking at a new card to replace his 5770 that he's going to put into another machine. He comes to me for advice after he throws a few of his ideas out there. With the price point he was looking at I initially recommended the 6870 myself especially after some of the rebates you can get. (His price point is right at $200) To make a long story short, I ended up finding [H]ardForum a while ago, lliked what I saw and joined. My friend doesn't do the "forum" thing. I find it's the best way to get advice and learn. So my initial post was just a comparison question between a 470, and a 6870 since I was able to find both of them right around 200 dollars. So, that's that.

My buddy is running an Intel Core i7 930, 6 gig of Corsair XMS ram, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, I think a 1 TB Western Digital Black 7200 HDD, and a 750 watt Corsair PSU.

He recently purchased a 24" monitor and I'd wager he runs 1920x1080 resolution.

I'm currently running a Sapphire Toxic 5850 2 GB GPU, and am pretty happy with it yet so I'm not looking right now. As someone else mentioned in another post, I'll wait till the next set of cards come out.

Your friend has a pretty bad-ass set up there.
Why does he want to cheap out on the most important component.
You wouldn't put a V6 in your Corvette, tell him to save up and buy something worthy of the other components.:D

Last edited:
This whole thread is about price: "What do you recommend for $200?" I don't need to state price for it to be obvious that I'm talking about price, just like everyone else.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"What do you recommend for $200?" - Exactly, so why compare a 200 dollar card to a 250 dollar card? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Your friend has a pretty bas-ass set up there.
Why does he want to cheap out on the most important component.
You wouldn't put a V6 in your Corvette, tell him to save up and buy something worthy of the other components.:D

He's not the kind of guy that can justify spending over 200 bucks on just a video card. Whether he waits longer and saves up more, he's not going to spend over 200 bucks. Plus, he's not going to be getting a new setup for years, so if he gets a 6870, or something around that area and is able to use it for a couple years he'll be able to then get a newer generation GPU for less and combine it with the i7.

maybe it has a rebate?:p

Maybe, but then he didn't mention that. Newegg has some open box 560Ti's on sale for around 184 dollars. Either way, he didn't mention it, and the cards are in two different price/performance categories.

"What do you recommend for $200?" - Exactly, so why compare a 200 dollar card to a 250 dollar card? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only person you're fooling with your childish antics is yourself. You crashed this thread. We were talking about a $209 560Ti long before you posted(see post 14).

Again, learn to read. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only person you're fooling with your childish antics is yourself. You crashed this thread. We were talking about a $209 560Ti long before you posted(see post 14).

Again, learn to read. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't feed me b.s. about childish antics when all you had to do was reference that 560Ti for $209. And that's $209 after MIR. You still have to fork out $230. That can be an issue for some people.

this thread is funny - op hasn't responded in 3 days;

as far as a recommendation to the op for his friend's athlon x2 and 8800gt @ 1080p -

i would tell him to use the $200 towards both a new cpu and gpu for his biostar mobo:

$100 phenom ii x4 925 w/ free battleforge game:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103916

or for a little more, $120 phenom ii x4 955 b.e. (with $10 gift card - ends today, 5/20) = $110:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

or if in the unlikely possibility mobo is bulldozer compatible, get $110 4 core A6-3450 (next mo):
http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-a-series-fx-series-preliminary-pricing-revealed/12290.html

as far as gpu, just get the $100 5830 @ newegg ($110 - $10 code EMCKEHK42):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-na&Item=N82E16814102878&Tpk=N82E16814102878

(if getting the p2 955, use $10 gift card on the 5830, making it only $90)

either way, total = $200 (better than getting a faster gpu @ $200 to bottleneck the athlon ii x2 with, imo)

Last edited:
Don't feed me b.s. about childish antics when all you had to do was reference that 560Ti for $209. And that's $209 after MIR. You still have to fork out $230. That can be an issue for some people.

All you had to do was read a page of posts and you wouldn't have wasted our time.

Back