what do you do with old video cards

cyklondx

Limp Gawd
i keep them, unless i can give (or sell if they have $) to someone who will make use of them.

atm sitting on | (if you want pm me.)
ati firegl 9500
ati x1950 512mn agp
amd 6950/70

// also have plenty of other parts.

GhostCow

Limp Gawd
I hear there is even a market for old SCSI optical drives over in Europe? I probably still have a couple of old Plextor SCSI internal drives up in my attic PC parts corner somewhere.

Old modems too -- Old US Robotics modems (300,1200, 2400 baud), ISDN modems....etc.
I didn't even know SCSI optical drives existed. Can discs even be read fast enough to see a benefit with SCSI over IDE?

Mthr1

Weaksauce
I didn't even know SCSI optical drives existed. Can discs even be read fast enough to see a benefit with SCSI over IDE?
From a performance standpoint, SCSI optical drives didn't have that much separation from their IDE counterparts. There were significant benefits from SCSI models however...

• Better build quality - SCSI models were generally premium components. IDE models were mass produced to meet a lower price point at the sacrifice of quality.
  • SCSI allowed for higher number of utilized devices off one controller. 8, I believe.
  • Optimized interface for disc copies - allowed for simultaneous read and writes. Synchronous read/write capability reduced the chance of burn errors (overruns, etc).
  • Lower CPU utilization vs IDE controllers.

Westwood Arrakis

[H]ard|Gawd
What's so desired about the old Voodoo cards? I think I had one of them when HL1 had released. At the time I think I was running IGPU.

GhostCow

Limp Gawd
What's so desired about the old Voodoo cards? I think I had one of them when HL1 had released. At the time I think I was running IGPU.
They are good for building classic gaming boxes for playing glide games like Interstate '76 and Mechwarrior 2. Games that won't run on modern PCs at all

Mthr1

Weaksauce
As mentioned, 3dfx voodoo/voodoo2 cards are popular for their ability to run classic milestone games that were optimized for their Glide 3D API. Glide optimized he's would render better performance due to their code and lower CPU usage.

Some of the greatest Glide games, aside from I76 and Mechwarrior 2 (already mentioned) was Quake 2, Unreal, Diablo 2, Catmageddon, etc. Some popular games like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider can still be played today without building a retro box, but many don't very well with modern DX acceleration.

3dfx voodoo glide was popular because it's competition of ATI Rage and nVidia TNT struggled at keeping up to popular voodoo and sli voodoo setups.

I should go up and try to find my old pair of Diamond Monster and Canopus cards. Lol.

kamxam

[H]ard|Gawd
Generally when i upgrade my PC, (Which is about every 3-4 years it seems) i usually sell the old system and GPU's to one of my family. Sold my last system to my brother and the one before that to my niece, which considering their existing systems were like 10+ years old at the time made them very happy. (I usually put in $2500+ or so to build them and then sell them for around $500 after 3-4 years) :sneaky:

VanGoghComplex

[H]ard|Gawd
...every time I wind up with a "spare" core component like CPU or GPU, I wind up looking for inexpensive ways to build a computer around it. Craigslist deals, older hardware, additional spares from my inventory. It all gets used. Eventually I wind up with too many computers and some get sold or given away, then the cycle starts anew.

I have a problem, please help me.

M76

[H]F Junkie
Sell them or put them on a wall
Just a brief look on eBay -- there is a selling market for them! People are fething $80-$200 for some models.

I have the old school 2x Plexwriters too - this is before Plextor started using disc trays. My model used the disc case for the disc then inserting the case into the drive. Pretty old school.
I don't even remember what happened to my SCSI optical drivers.

fightingfi

Look at Me! I need the attention.
I would be interested in that voodoo 5 regaurdless of if it needs a recap or not I can do such things if needed pm with a fiar price im sure we can work something out
PM Me about the voodoo 5

Ready4Dis

Gawd
...every time I wind up with a "spare" core component like CPU or GPU, I wind up looking for inexpensive ways to build a computer around it. Craigslist deals, older hardware, additional spares from my inventory. It all gets used. Eventually I wind up with too many computers and some get sold or given away, then the cycle starts anew.

I have a problem, please help me.
I have 6 desktops right now... We should start a support group, lol.

HKP7

n00b
I typically keep the last generation and toss the rest though I have kept my 3DFX Voodoo cards as they were my first ones.

AIM9x

Weaksauce
I've sold items that are still relevant for people wanting some budget gear, like maybe 2-3 generation old gpus. Anything that old, I've generally donated/recycled. Ebay can be annoying but they do have some free listings promotion so you can measure interest.

grumperfish

Weaksauce
I usually sell my current in-use card to try and recoup some expenses when I upgrade. I got really lucky with a few of them thanks to BTC rushes and crashes, especially nabbing a 1070 for the cost of shipping after selling a 390 for way more than I paid, right before people realized that 1070s were more efficient for mining.

I like to keep a couple cards as diagnostic backups including a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI card for older desktops. Edit: Looking at eBay now I should probably try selling this one.
Unfortunately I missed the worthwhile dates to sell some of the cards, like the unlocked 6950 or the 4870 which would be more effort to ship than it's worth at this point. I really need to go through my boxes and dump a bunch of the AGP and low-end PCI-Express cards which I accumulated somehow.